Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Finding an Orthodox parish
    Join
    Stress free!
    I don't know, all those things to memorize and then changing the names and dates of well know holidays and extra books in the Bible... doesn't sound stress free.

Then again, you get to discount the last 1000 years or so of theological developments, and freely use the phrase, "it's a mystery!" instead of having to choose pre-, post- or mid- tribulation.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Ladies and gentlemen, we have a rare exhibit of Orthodox haiku. Influenced from Greek minimalism before being adopted in the East (and we're talking FAAAAAR East), few people are aware of the true roots of such beautiful poetry.

:D

Lol, I thought the same thing.

Although since it's near east, the correct term is not haiku. It's actually haekoupoulus, which is ironically a word longer than the poems.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I don't know, all those things to memorize and then changing the names and dates of well know holidays and extra books in the Bible... doesn't sound stress free.

Then again, you get to discount the last 1000 years or so of theological developments, and freely use the phrase, "it's a mystery!" instead of having to choose pre-, post- or mid- tribulation.

On this I agree with the Orthodox. There have been no theological developments in the Bible over the last 1950 years. Only an evolution in the way it is understood. If it wasn't said by Christ or one of His apostles through divine inspiration, I am highly critical.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    On this I agree with the Orthodox. There have been no theological developments in the Bible over the last 1950 years. Only an evolution in the way it is understood. If it wasn't said by Christ or one of His apostles through divine inspiration, I am highly critical.
    I said developments in Theology, not "theological developments in the Bible". A development in theology is an advancement in our understanding of God. Although, you could say that defining the Canon is a development in the Bible, couldn't you?

These would well defined in the first century:
    Concept of the Trinity
    Hypostatic Union

And in the last 1000 years:

Wouldn't Sola .... or TULIP be considered a development?

What about systematic theology?

Dispensationalism?

I agree, these concepts aren't directly from divine inspiration, therefore we may and probably should be critical. Maybe "developments" isn't the right word; I'm open to suggestions.

EDIT:
    The Catholics would use the term dogma in place of "theological developments", no? Do the Orthodox have a similar set of dogma or is it more of a pamphlet? (Semi-serious question)

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I said developments in Theology, not "theological developments in the Bible". A development in theology is an advancement in our understanding of God. Although, you could say that defining the Canon is a development in the Bible, couldn't you?

These would well defined in the first century:
    Concept of the Trinity
    Hypostatic Union

And in the last 1000 years:

Wouldn't Sola .... or TULIP be considered a development?

What about systematic theology?

Dispensationalism?

I agree, these concepts aren't directly from divine inspiration, therefore we may and probably should be critical. Maybe "developments" isn't the right word; I'm open to suggestions.

EDIT:
    The Catholics would use the term dogma in place of "theological developments", no? Do the Orthodox have a similar set of dogma or is it more of a pamphlet? (Semi-serious question)

I read too much into your other post. We seem to agree. Development seems less clunky than anything else that comes to mind.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

LOL

I almost semi-facetiously suggested "dogma" as an alternate term. So, yeah, I think that's a decent synonym. I think Orthodox have "dogma" too, except they spell it "truth" for their own purposes.

;)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

Very little to memorize.
    Nicene Creed.
    Then just go to church.

We are simple folk.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Orthodox dogma.

Nicene Creed

Canons of Seven Ecumenical Councils.

I am liking minimalism

Until misunderstood

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Doctrinal development

Human invention

Not Orthodox

Christ and His Apostles

Dogma source

Last edited:

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Finding an Orthodox parish
    Join
    Stress free!

There are a couple of reasons I won't, but I appreciate the offer, and some time I will take you up on the offer to go to church with you, just to experience it.

As for Calvinists, I can live with them, unless they decided (or have predetermined) to make it obnoxiously front and center. I'm more concerned with bringing the lost to salvation and preaching the gospel, otherwise, the rest is pointless.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom