• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    What I enjoy about Indi's responses is that he comes at it from an outside place, I'm not a fan of using scripture to prove scripture. Feels like Ken Ham telling folks the earth is 6000 years old because the bible says so.

Ken Ham is someone PaulF and I agree on lol.....

I keep looking in the Book for that 6000 year old Earth and I have not found it yet...

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I never objected to prayer on my behalf. Thanks.

My biggest problem with organized religion is that you cannot be an observer of human behavior for 60+ years and not come away seeing any history as not manipulated. My own research into the period of approx 1000 BC (Samuel) to Paul shows the archaeologic record to deviate to some degree from the written record. That led me to further study of the writings of various scholars, which left me with additional doubt. You might think it confirmation bias, but I didn't start with that bias. It grew over the years.

I do believe there is a tremendous amount we do not know in terms of physical processes in the universe and our own consciousness. I'm just not comfortable with the pat answers from priests or pastors.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Best thing I seen you write, right there.

A genuine, flawed, human perspective of Truth and a genuine, flawed, human attempt to respond properly to it.

What more could a God ask of us? What more could He expect of us?

How much less could He ask or expect of us?

Nicely done. :yesway:

Once we are saved ourselves, nothing becomes more important than fulfilling the Great Commission to go teach the world about Christ, and baptize the nations in His Name. I pray for the Holy Spirit to guide my speech, and bless me anytime I have an opportunity to share the Good News with others. I fear there are times when some, and myself included, forget that the Word of God is not an instrument to beat others into submission with, but instead, an instrument to uplift, and free others from their sin and bondage. Please Lord Jesus, please let the hearts here be fertile ground, where the seeds of your Truth will be planted and account for a great harvest.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I never objected to prayer on my behalf. Thanks.

My biggest problem with organized religion is that you cannot be an observer of human behavior for 60+ years and not come away seeing any history as not manipulated. My own research into the period of approx 1000 BC (Samuel) to Paul shows the archaeologic record to deviate to some degree from the written record. That led me to further study of the writings of various scholars, which left me with additional doubt. You might think it confirmation bias, but I didn't start with that bias. It grew over the years.

I do believe there is a tremendous amount we do not know in terms of physical processes in the universe and our own consciousness. I'm just not comfortable with the pat answers from priests or pastors.

Truth is exactly that: truth. There are a great many wonderful teachers available to us, to help us understand the wonderful truths and blessings contained in Gods` Holy Word. But you have to be open to those truths and blessings, you have to accept them.
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Truth is exactly that: truth. There are a great many wonderful teachers available to us, to help us understand the wonderful truths and blessings contained in Gods` Holy Word. But you have to be open to those truths and blessings, you have to accept them.
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Y'all jump between: we ignore the OT, then quoting it.

The problem with "truth" in this context is that the writings were changed over some initial period to suit the times and audience (Mark 16:9 et seq, for example). Paul never physically saw Jesus, despite some saying his vision was "real".

Paul's vision seems little different than Mohammed's. Sorry for the heresy.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Once we are saved ourselves, nothing becomes more important than fulfilling the Great Commission to go teach the world about Christ, and baptize the nations in His Name. I pray for the Holy Spirit to guide my speech, and bless me anytime I have an opportunity to share the Good News with others. I fear there are times when some, and myself included, forget that the Word of God is not an instrument to beat others into submission with, but instead, an instrument to uplift, and free others from their sin and bondage. Please Lord Jesus, please let the hearts here be fertile ground, where the seeds of your Truth will be planted and account for a great harvest.

Thank you for that.

Have some of those uplifting, freeing instruments ready to pass out, as many bibles as you can find.

God can use me, as He pleases, as an instrument to beat others into submission with, or as a guy INGO used to love, at His discretion.

Either version you prefer, one thing is sure

...I've always been a tool. :):

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

The problem with "truth" in this context is that the writings were changed over some initial period to suit the times and audience (Mark 16:9 et seq, for example). Paul never physically saw Jesus, despite some saying his vision was "real".

There's always been a preserved, pure word. A manuscript being older does not mean it's more accurate, which is the case in the Mark passage argument.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

Didn't a couple of you just go back and change a real conversation that occurred right here in this thread a few minutes ago?

Did that change anything real which had occurred or did it only add another bit of reality and another piece to the puzzle of truth?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Yeah, that's the argument, I suppose. And if it was a single scholar making it, then it would be an outlier. But it's not just one scholar and most of the Bible Gateway texts insert a cautionary remark before 16:9.

The "preserved, pure word" differs by author, which speaks to the desire for the text to fit the audience.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Yeah, that's the argument, I suppose. And if it was a single scholar making it, then it would be an outlier. But it's not just one scholar and most of the Bible Gateway texts insert a cautionary remark before 16:9.

The "preserved, pure word" differs by author, which speaks to the desire for the text to fit the audience.

Men started corrupting scripture within decades of it being finished. It's not surprising that there are as many "versions" as there are today.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom