Not open for further replies.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Uhhh...you're just in the wrong church.
    Or a husband that belittles and abuses his wife, or any number of sins that are make us squirm to discuss.

Like I've said, the church has done a real ****ty job at helping people with their sin. We've become experts in kicking them while they're down.

Acts 11:5-7 is my life verse(s).

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Not my point.

I'm not saying everyone, I'm not saying you, I'm not saying me. But the church as a whole in America, and how our message has been received. This isn't a left thing, it isn't a right thing. It's about how we deal with sin and how we deal with our brothers and sisters who struggle with temptation. It's about the message we've sending out to the lost and hurting: you're not welcome here.

My point was the protestant, evangelical church's message has been, "Don't be gay!" for the past 20 years. That's a fact, Jack.

Not, "we value marriage", but "we don't allow gay marriage". We've done everything we can to marginalize gays.

Part of the problem is human nature; one bad preacher (e.g. Westboro Baptist, that crackpot fundie church in Hammond) can undo the good preaching of 500 honorable, loving churches.

I assume that you have never attended one of OUR services.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    While reading through Psalm 119 last night soaking it up, the recorded thoughts and feelings poring forth... it was awesome.
    Had been a long time since reading 119. Each year I tend to concentrate on the corresponding psalm. For me the jury is still out on whether the Book of Psalms is prophetic in the structure of the King James. So I'm going back to examining the proposition, along with the line up of kings in 2nd Esdras.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Uhhh...you're just in the wrong church.

Let me say this one more time: The whole church has dropped the ball when it comes to gay people.

Mainline failed by telling them, "Being gay is fabulous" and evangelicals failed by telling them, "Just stay away if you're gay."

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    There is no church until Christ comes back. There are only local Churches.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    No interpretation necessary. The epistles are quite explicit about what a Christian should abstain from.

My view on sex is clear: If it's just you and your spouse, play ball! (edit: even the German / Japanese stuff :faint:)

How does animals work in that theory? I really, really don't want to ponder that question.

EDIT (to not post whore): As to that book I keep touting, I'd recommend it to my brothers here. It does a decent job at helping understand how the Bible applies to you, in your life, in your time - even thought the letters were written to someone else, in another language, in another time. I don't agree with all the conclusions (e.g. egalitarianism), but thought provoking.

So is spouse defined as a person of the opposite sex, biblically?

I know I'm not here to find any loopholes or whatever. Really just curious how the information came to be, from centuries ago to what it is today, and if there's even the possibility that some of that information could be pressed differently.

Sorry for the delay... got in a car wreck on the way home... dealing with that past few hours.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I feel compelled to point out "can" is different than "should." Miscegenation laws have a long tradition, even biblical.

The Bible presents a case for how we should act. We have the freedom to not follow those instructions, particularly when civil laws allow for (or even encourage) the "wrong" behavior. That is actually a commonality between modern and biblical societies - even back then there were a multiplicity of law-givers that allowed conduct different than what the Bible encourages.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    This all started with the English language not having gender....figure out how that happened and the answer you will find.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Let me say this one more time: The whole church has dropped the ball when it comes to gay people.

Mainline failed by telling them, "Being gay is fabulous" and evangelicals failed by telling them, "Just stay away if you're gay."

Saying it doesn't make it so.

The problem root as with most sins lies in the protestant movement doing away with confession as an Avenue for the Grace of God.

Every person for himself. That's why a "Christian" bookstore has shelves full of self help books with all the latest authors up front and a shelf or two of dusty bibles in the back.

Once divorced from the Church, each person fends for themselves cut off from the wisdom of the Church. Then each person is their own church. Each person decides what the Church is. Those who mostly agree may even occupy the same building for a time, but over a lifetime that usually changes for Protestant believers.

From their fruit you shall know them.

If one ignores their theology and visits their bookstores and their churches, it doesn't take long to see why the protestants are full of the latest and greatest knowledge but are lacking in grace.

And it's not the individual's fault. They only know what they are taught usually from the wisdom of the last 50 years if the book hey are holding from their study group is tha old and I am probably being generous...its most likely less than 5.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom