• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    At the risk of echoing that guy that I'm accused of being the Catholic version of, I think the "biblical support" comes back to Jesus's actual teachings. I think most (hopefully all) of the denominations consider "essential" the stuff Jesus said. Where we depart are post-Gospel interpretations.

For instance, James's reference to "be doers, not just hearers" is an example of the faith/acts thing that has been so problematic.

Sincere effort to follow Christ is, to me, the basic definition of "Christian."

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    At the risk of echoing that guy that I'm accused of being the Catholic version of, I think the "biblical support" comes back to Jesus's actual teachings. I think most (hopefully all) of the denominations consider "essential" the stuff Jesus said. Where we depart are post-Gospel interpretations.

For instance, James's reference to "be doers, not just hearers" is an example of the faith/acts thing that has been so problematic.

Should be doing good works, but those good works don't bring salvation.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    giphy.gif

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Maybe we should talk definitions...

Define the following..

Essential
    Necessary
    Sufficient

Apply them to an understanding of salvation.

Use the Bible to support your answer.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    So...Evangelicals are now fighting over how involved the church should be in matters of social justice. On one side is MacArthur who is the primary mover of a tone deaf (IMHO) piece. On the other side is basically everyone else. Then Union College and Seminary gets involved and Leroy Jenkins the whole thing...

[FONT=&quot]https://twitter.com/UnionSeminary/status/1037346517936472070

[FONT=&quot]I. ScriptureWhile divinely inspired, we deny the Bible is inerrant or infallible. It was written by men over centuries and thus reflects both God's truth and human sin & prejudice. We affirm that biblical scholarship and critical theory help us discern which messages are God's.
    [/FONT]

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

That's a good start, but Jesus never spoke of the Trinity, and I personally would not find myself in communion with a modalist (i.e. someone that views all three are just separate "modes" of one person).
    I also view the canon as essential - i.e. something that break communion between protestants and RCC and Orthodox.
    Speaking in tongues, prosperity gospel, word of faith - all things that break communion.

Things I don't view as essential:
    • baptism
    • gifts of the Holy Spirit (i.e. "cessationist")
    • sacraments
    • eschatology
    • soteriology (i.e. Calvinsim v. Arminianism)
    • hymns v. praise songs
    • pastor's attire (e.g. skinny jeans, robes)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    [FONT=&amp]I. ScriptureWhile divinely inspired, we deny the Bible is inerrant or infallible. It was written by men over centuries and thus reflects both God's truth and human sin & prejudice. We affirm that biblical scholarship and critical theory help us discern which messages are God's.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    Great Caesar's ghost... so, the Bible is full of sin and prejudice. Therefore, we don't have to follow the parts that we don't like, and we don't have to offend anyone.

Brilliant!

And here's another hand grenade in there:
    We deny that salvation is only found through Christianity, that God's salvific grace is exclusive to any single faith or religion. Moreover, in God's eyes there is no difference in spiritual value or worth between those who are "in Christ" and those who aren't.
    So... Jesus was a liar.

As to essentials, they ain't got it.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Great Caesar's ghost... so, the Bible is full of sin and prejudice. Therefore, we don't have to follow the parts that we don't like, and we don't have to offend anyone.

Brilliant!

And here's another hand grenade in there:

So... Jesus was a liar.

As to essentials, they ain't got it.

Then yesterday they doubled down!

[FONT=&quot]https://twitter.com/UnionSeminary/status/1039167655159259136[/FONT]

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    That's a good start, but Jesus never spoke of the Trinity, and I personally would not find myself in communion with a modalist (i.e. someone that views all three are just separate "modes" of one person).
    I also view the canon as essential - i.e. something that break communion between protestants and RCC and Orthodox.
    Speaking in tongues, prosperity gospel, word of faith - all things that break communion.

Things I don't view as essential:
    • baptism
    • gifts of the Holy Spirit (i.e. "cessationist")
    • sacraments
    • eschatology
    • soteriology (i.e. Calvinsim v. Arminianism)
    • hymns v. praise songs
    • pastor's attire (e.g. skinny jeans, robes)

I was with you up until skinny jeans. j/k mostly...

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not gonna lie, I prefer traditional hymns - even if I don't know the words to most of them. Garage bands are tough to take no matter what the lyrics are. But then I was subjected to a lot of bluegrass music in the church I grew up in, so consider the source.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom