• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    The life of a Christian is really a life of relationship for God is Love.

In a marriage, I may have moments where I think I know my spouse, but they don't usually last long. My love for my spouse evolves over time. Part of this is due to how she opens herself up to me, but how she opens herself up to me is often influenced by how I react to her when she does so. Love is synergistic.

It's amazing how enriched our lives can be when we listen to those we love, not hear but listen and then do what is asked to the best of our ability.

Don't let the sun set on your anger.

Impressive results when you practice that.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Indeed. Carter (while an incompetent president) was the first one to capitalize on the "Religious Right." They just realized that they had elected a Christian who didn't actually want to have a public faith (he actually appointed Breyer and RBG to the appellate court).

When you study the history of Roe v Wade and how it still remains "law", it was Republican appointees who are to blame.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I've spent the last six months immersing myself in the scientific evidence for the megalood....I believe it happened 11,700 years ago and happened in late October/early November and we still mourn the loss via the worldwide feasts for the dead festivals that take place at the same time, no matter the hemisphere or whether north or south of the equator...

I tweeted this pic of our extinct waterfall, we have two, to Randall Carlson (well known researcher, often on Joe Rogan's podcasts) and he responded back pronto and asked where it was at...I told him about 70 miles south of that mile thick ice sheet that basically melted over night at the end of the Younger Dryas period....Imagine the oceans rising 400 feet in an instant...Imagine where the civilizations and settlements would have been? Right by the oceans and rivers.....

DkV7KpYV4AA4tK9.jpg

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    https://www.americamagazine.org/fai...-burke-it-licit-call-resignation-pope-francis

Not sure why, vodka and ice maybe (reading Russian Orthodox writers instead of Greek ones tonight), but I found that quote interesting.

Yeah, that's a weird one...
    1. Why can't a gay man have the same paternal characteristics of a straight man?
    2. A Catholic priest is expected to suppress sexual desires, so what does it matter who he's attracted to?

And wait - you don't keep your vodka in your freezer? :dunno:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, that's a weird one...
    1. Why can't a gay man have the same paternal characteristics of a straight man?
    2. A Catholic priest is expected to suppress sexual desires, so what does it matter who he's attracted to?

And wait - you don't keep your vodka in your freezer? :dunno:

He's Orthodox. Do they even have freezer technology yet? ;)

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    True story Bro

Today I learned-- the Catholic church considers my marriage fake news.

I posted in this thread a couple of months ago about how I'm trying to find the denomination that's the best fit, and the issues that have come up between my wife and I over it. Over the past month or so, I've been looking pretty deeply into the Catholic faith. I've been doing some reading on it, I've been to Mass a handful of times (without taking communion) praying about it and even skipping meat on Fridays. I find myself drawn more to the liturgical style of worship. I won't go much into the recent scandal. While it's disconcerting, I don't see it as cause to abandon the faith completely.

I've been reading a book from the library - Catholicism for Dummies and I ran across the phrase "valid marriage." To rehash from my previous post, my wife was married previously before we met. Before I was born, as a matter of fact. She got married when she was 16 and pregnant. The fact that she was getting away from her verbally abusive mother was just gravy. Years later, she divorced him for being unfaithful and on the strong suspicion that he was molesting their daughter. After her kids were grown, she met me and obviously knew a good thing when she saw it. :D

So, since her first marriage wasn't annulled by the Catholic church, the church places more value in her shotgun marriage to her abusive, adulterous ex-husband than in her marriage to me. Consequently, for the 18 years that I've been legally married to my wife, according to the church I've been committing adultery. Ain't that a hoot? Now the way I read the Canon, there seems to be cause for annulling her first marriage given the circumstances. Of course, I can't do that for her, she would have to initiate the process herself. Did I mention that she's Baptist? So she's been less that happy with the fact that I've been flirting with Catholicism. I mean I could force the issue, because we all know how healthy ultimatums are for a marriage. But to be honest, I've been disillusioned by the whole thing. I seem to be more interested in keeping my marriage together than the church is.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I posted in this thread a couple of months ago about how I'm trying to find the denomination that's the best fit, and the issues that have come up between my wife and I over it. Over the past month or so, I've been looking pretty deeply into the Catholic faith. I've been doing some reading on it, I've been to Mass a handful of times (without taking communion) praying about it and even skipping meat on Fridays. I find myself drawn more to the liturgical style of worship. I won't go much into the recent scandal. While it's disconcerting, I don't see it as cause to abandon the faith completely.

I've been reading a book from the library - Catholicism for Dummies and I ran across the phrase "valid marriage." To rehash from my previous post, my wife was married previously before we met. Before I was born, as a matter of fact. She got married when she was 16 and pregnant. The fact that she was getting away from her verbally abusive mother was just gravy. Years later, she divorced him for being unfaithful and on the strong suspicion that he was molesting their daughter. After her kids were grown, she met me and obviously knew a good thing when she saw it. :D

So, since her first marriage wasn't annulled by the Catholic church, the church places more value in her shotgun marriage to her abusive, adulterous ex-husband than in her marriage to me. Consequently, for the 18 years that I've been legally married to my wife, according to the church I've been committing adultery. Ain't that a hoot? Now the way I read the Canon, there seems to be cause for annulling her first marriage given the circumstances. Of course, I can't do that for her, she would have to initiate the process herself. Did I mention that she's Baptist? So she's been less that happy with the fact that I've been flirting with Catholicism. I mean I could force the issue, because we all know how healthy ultimatums are for a marriage. But to be honest, I've been disillusioned by the whole thing. I seem to be more interested in keeping my marriage together than the church is.

FWIW, I listened to a podcast from a Baptist pastor out in AZ on this topic. The way he explained it, he would recommend all divorced people to remain single, even those whose spouse were unfaithful. Basically, (in my words) because, in the eyes of God you were unified as a single being, you were married when you went through that ceremony. According to him, it's possible for your estranged spouse to someday repent and reunite to fulfil those vows. If he's right, I'm in the same boat you are. My wife was previously married and her ex cheated on her prior to their divorce. If you'd like to check it out, Jeff Durbin at Apologia Church has a lot of stuff on YouTube and I'm sure you can find his sermon on marriage that I'm referring to.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    FWIW, I listened to a podcast from a Baptist pastor out in AZ on this topic. The way he explained it, he would recommend all divorced people to remain single, even those whose spouse were unfaithful. Basically, (in my words) because, in the eyes of God you were unified as a single being, you were married when you went through that ceremony. According to him, it's possible for your estranged spouse to someday repent and reunite to fulfil those vows. If he's right, I'm in the same boat you are. My wife was previously married and her ex cheated on her prior to their divorce. If you'd like to check it out, Jeff Durbin at Apologia Church has a lot of stuff on YouTube and I'm sure you can find his sermon on marriage that I'm referring to.

I agree - but thankfully have never been tested as that'd be a hard roe to hoe. I certainly wouldn't cast any stones.

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I was reading on a Catholic website and they suggested in this situation separating unless and until an annulment can be obtained. Either that or "stop living together as man and wife." I can't imagine the latter would go over well. As for the former, it seems counter-intuitive to me that institutions that claim to be champions of marriage would advise breaking up a committed 18 year union for the sake of one broken by abuse and infidelity.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana

Drawn to the liturgical style of worship?

Shudders in Baptist.

Really though, I encourage you to visit a sound Baptist church. (They aren't all the same)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I was reading on a Catholic website and they suggested in this situation separating unless and until an annulment can be obtained. Either that or "stop living together as man and wife." I can't imagine the latter would go over well. As for the former, it seems counter-intuitive to me that institutions that claim to be champions of marriage would advise breaking up a committed 18 year union for the sake of one broken by abuse and infidelity.

I'm no catholic but I think their reasoning for telling you that (on that website) is that in their view of God's definition, you're not really married. In their view, she's still married to her abusive husband and at any time, as long as he's alive, he could repent and seek to resume that covenant. Your marriage is not valid.

Did you go through a civil ceremony or one officiated by a pastor?

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It was officiated by a pastor. I don't remember him asking for marriage histories from either of us. From Matthew 19: "And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery." Catholics hedge on the fornication part, saying that since it wasn't repeated in the other gospels it doesn't apply. Which seems like an odd position to take for any group that sees the scripture as inerrant.

But hey, it's all good! I'll go to confession, kick the old lady out of the house and tell her it's all cool because the churches say so.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It was officiated by a pastor. I don't remember him asking for marriage histories from either of us. From Matthew 19: "And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery." Catholics hedge on the fornication part, saying that since it wasn't repeated in the other gospels it doesn't apply. Which seems like an odd position to take for any group that sees the scripture as inerrant.

But hey, it's all good! I'll go to confession, kick the old lady out of the house and tell her it's all cool because the churches say so.

Oh believe me...I'm no catholic apologist.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom