• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I find all of this interesting. How we all differ on many points, yet we all agree on many points. I'm not predestined guy.

I'm most surprised (often) about the divergence of approaches. Like, I get there might be dogmatic nuance, but some of these things have just completely different starting points.

Almost like God revealed Himself differently to different people, so as to save the most people. :)

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    I'm most surprised (often) about the divergence of approaches. Like, I get there might be dogmatic nuance, but some of these things have just completely different starting points.

Almost like God revealed Himself differently to different people, so as to save the most people. :)

Dagum...Catholic Rob Bell! You really should change your profile to this:

Rob-Bell-with-Oprah-Winfrey-x400.jpg

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Couldn't you say that is true? I mean I think it would be rather easy to show that biblically unless I am misunderstanding, which I am usually very good at :)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    You made me look him up on Wikipedia :)

I found these two quotes...

In his writings, Bell says "I affirm the truth anywhere in any religious system, in any worldview. If it's true, it belongs to God."[25]

Bell says, "This is not just the same old message with new methods. We're rediscovering Christianity as an Eastern religion, as a way of life. Legal metaphors for faith don't deliver a way of life. We grew up in churches where people knew the nine verses why we don't speak in tongues, but had never experienced the overwhelming presence of God."[8]

I kinda like Rob Bell, based on these two quotes alone, without context.

Dagum...Catholic Rob Bell! You really should change your profile to this:

Rob-Bell-with-Oprah-Winfrey-x400.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Couldn't you say that is true? I mean I think it would be rather easy to show that biblically unless I am misunderstanding, which I am usually very good at :)

I think there is an individual level to that issue, then a faith-tradition scope.

It is intuitive, I think, that God meets us where we are. He does reveal Himself differently to individuals, because we are not all the same. The example that resonates clearest to me is the Apostle Thomas. Clearly, Christ revealed Himself differently to Thomas, because Thomas was experiencing and processing the events differently.

On the larger scale, the issue becomes about how "differently" God has actually revealed Himself. That starting point can digress into various heresies.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I was thinking, Moses, Elijah, Samuel, Isaiah, Jacob, Peter, James, and John, Paul etc.

God reveals himself differently, but the revelation is not of different Gods.
    I would even say God reveals himself incompletely with the exception of the Incarnation of course, and only through the Incarnation can we understand all other revelations of God.

I would hang both statements on our inability to fathom the mystery of God.

Interesting thought provoker anyway.

I think there is an individual level to that issue, then a faith-tradition scope.

It is intuitive, I think, that God meets us where we are. He does reveal Himself differently to individuals, because we are not all the same. The example that resonates clearest to me is the Apostle Thomas. Clearly, Christ revealed Himself differently to Thomas, because Thomas was experiencing and processing the events differently.

On the larger scale, the issue becomes about how "differently" God has actually revealed Himself. That starting point can digress into various heresies.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County

I think God introduces Himself differently to different people, but the bottom line remains consistent. There is not and/or with God. It is what it is. We all may different stories about our born again experiences, but once past that door, God is the same to all - or else you are worshiping a different god.....narrow is the path.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I was wondering about those numbers, too.

Not about Numbers. I think that's one we have in common. ;)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The life of a Christian is really a life of relationship for God is Love.

In a marriage, I may have moments where I think I know my spouse, but they don't usually last long. My love for my spouse evolves over time. Part of this is due to how she opens herself up to me, but how she opens herself up to me is often influenced by how I react to her when she does so. Love is synergistic.

It's amazing how enriched our lives can be when we listen to those we love, not hear but listen and then do what is asked to the best of our ability.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    IT depends on whether you are Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Coptic Orthodox, Syriac, Ethiopian or Protestant :)

It took the Church to be decisive about the NT or who knows how much variation we would have?

I was wondering about those numbers, too.

Not about Numbers. I think that's one we have in common. ;)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You made me look him up on Wikipedia :)

I found these two quotes...

I kinda like Rob Bell, based on these two quotes alone, without context.

Trust me, you might like "the old Rob Bell"... yeah, on second thought, you'd totally like him.

The new Rob Bell (and The Orpah) is a universalist, "you go to heaven! And you go to heaven! And everyone goes to heaven!!!"

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom