• Status
    Not open for further replies.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    So were the Eagles predestined to win the Super Bowl?

Was this Eagles victory prophesied?

Matt 24:28. Make sure to read the KJV or NKJV. The modernist translations are corrupt.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Here is some ammunition against Orthodoxy from a Baptist preacher.

[video=youtube;x07ys_NmNeA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x07ys_NmNeA[/video]

I made it to 7 minutes with some good laughs before I couldn't take anymore. But if you are looking for some pointers, maybe there are some in there.

I also have the Southern Baptist guide to converting Orthodox in Romania. It was almost a hundred pages if memory serves and was a little more coherent.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Here is some ammunition against Orthodoxy from a Baptist preacher.

[video=youtube;x07ys_NmNeA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x07ys_NmNeA[/video]

I made it to 7 minutes with some good laughs before I couldn't take anymore. But if you are looking for some pointers, maybe there are some in there.

I also have the Southern Baptist guide to converting Orthodox in Romania. It was almost a hundred pages if memory serves and was a little more coherent.

Oh yeah, that's old school Baptist. The types that don't let women preach... and that's an ill-fitting suit.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I just came across this tonight. Its a series of videos that are a response to the Southern Baptist guide to converting Orthodoxy I mentioned above. I watched the first 5 videos which focus on Sola Scriptura and Tradition. Looks like there are 28 total. Some of it is rather pointed but having read the document it is a response to, is understandable even if not an approach I would take.

[video=youtube;Q_A9sRf89Zc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_A9sRf89Zc[/video]

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wait.

A single Southern Baptist doc spawned a 28 video series response from Orthodoxy? :D

Almost seems like our foszoe is the "lite" version. ;)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Honey_and_Vinegar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    So were the Eagles predestined to win the Super Bowl?

Was this Eagles victory prophesied?

Matt 24:28. Make sure to read the KJV or NKJV. The modernist translations are corrupt.

Modern translations being corrupt?

I agree that there are many translations that are worthless, and maybe even do more harm than good, but I also would not consider KJV or NKJV as a purest.

What is your opinions on NASB, ESV or NIV?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

I agree that there are many translations that are worthless, and maybe even do more harm than good, but I also would not consider KJV or NKJV as a purest.

Welcome to the thread BrettonJudy7. :)

I'm curious about his answer, too. But, I suspect his idea of "modern" may be a bit different.... :D

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Raises hand and slowly lowers it...

Yeah...we don't have women elders either...

But if you want good old fashioned Baptist, check this place out!

Highland Park Baptist Church in Elkhart, Indiana |

Particularly this series:

Alcohol and the Bible - Highland Park Baptist Church in Elkhart, Indiana

Wow, that building screams free will / fundamental Baptist... reminds me of my childhood. :nailbite:

In that school, this wouldn't have been a joke:
    Nike Releases Floor-Length Denim Basketball Skirt For Female Baptist Athletes

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I'm pretty sure Foszoe was making a joke: In that verse KJV (and derivitives) use the word "eagle", whereas the other versions use "vultures".

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I was more or less writing that using my KJV only voice. :)

Otherwise I would be more precise in my speech and it would have been a very long post :D

First, let me say that translations=language not version so that years from now when someone else reads this thread they will be amazed at how smart we all are. The Bible is translated into many languages so we have the Bible in English translation, Spanish Translation etc. Because each bible comes with translator's notes this language often gets confused even though its in the name. It is better to think Make-Model so Honda would be translation, Accord would be version, Civic another, and so forth and so on.

Hopefully that's not confusing.

If I was forced to use only those 3 versions, you listed them in my order of preference. Of those 3, the NIV would probably never leave the shelf unless I am dealing with Protestants who seem to have an affection for it which I believe arises from its inherent bias.

I use the following 3 "daily" with the quotes meaning that there are days I miss, but I try to read daily. When I read devotionally I use the Orthodox Study Bible (OSB) not because I think it's the best version per se but it is the most complete and has Orthodox study notes. The former CEO of Thomas Nelson was Orthodox and since they own the NKJV, The OSB is based on the NKJV, with the NT being entirely just NKJV. The OT, since it is based on the Septuagint (LXX), has different books than either Catholics or Protestants. It based on the NKJV where it can be, but it was used more as boilerplate with Orthodox scholars correcting things as they went along. For example, in Psalms, there is a numbering difference. Psalm 50 in the OSB is Psalm 51 in most other versions. This is because Psalm 9, 10 are combined in the LXX. Then somewhere in the 140s, the LXX split a Psalm so the last few are the same numbering again.

I use the NASB because I like literal editions and often read it if I want to see how the NKJV is doing. I also like the RSV which I carry the RSVCE around with me because it comes in a compact form with a zipper.

I have heard good things about the NABRE and have it but not cracked it open much.

In general, I prefer NT based on the Byz. Since these are almost nonexistent, I prefer the TR next since it is closer to the Byz, hence KJV, NKJV, and RSV instead of ones based on Nestle-Aland. For the OT, I prefer Bibles based on the LXX instead of the Masoretic text which is a much later translation of the Hebrew scriptures.

So all that being said, one of my favorites is

https://www.apostolicbible.com/text.htm

which is a free download, but I bought a print edition.

It's downside, unless it's been updated, is that the LXX in the OT only includes the books found in protestant bibles based on the Masoretic text since it was put together by Protestants.

However that is all more about me.

If I am recommending to someone else.

1. Find an English version that you will read first and foremost and that is the version for you.
    2. Never make a theological decision based on any English version.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I am curious if anyone has used the CEB or the CSB? I would consider the CEB more complete of course

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom