• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    TVA set an absolute record for megawatts generated by Hyrdopower in the last few days.
    Spillways wide open, and every operational hydro generator spinning at 60hz..
    Also setting records at many dams for gallons of water per second.

This after all the pools were lower then normal from drought.

Of course the memes came in on the facebook.

1727719042317.png

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    It’s not like the coastal morons that always “rebuild” knowing it is going to be destroyed again in the next decade.

Exactly. I'm not a member on Gunboards, but I lurk from time to time. I saw one member there indicate that they had just finished rebuilding from Michael (2018) in Aug 2022, and now expected to be wiped out again after 4 years of that "rebuilding" you mentioned.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    From some motorcycle folks that ride in the area.

My pilot neighbor wanted to pitch in so he reached out to about six friends from work, got some donated money to buy supplies, loaded his plane yesterday and flew the stuff into Statesville. He saw quite the scene with a long line of cars waiting to drop donations off, a filled up hanger with supplies and people then packaging that up in 50lb bags to load into planes for distribution into other areas in need. They asked him to divert into Asheville but he instead headed to Ashe County figuring the more rural communities would probably really appreciate whatever limited supplies they'd see before things filtered down to them over time. He figured right.

Then, as social media things tend to go, his few friends spread the word and his Venmo account just kept doubling. So this morning I joined him and off we went shopping. Had enough for three more plane loads; we took two back to Ashe County today and the guy in the hanger next to him is taking one tomorrow. The great thing is that instead of guessing, we were able to get lists from those on the ground as to what they could really use, things that we probably would've never thought of. Him and my son will be making a few trips back tomorrow again and I have a feeling he'll be doing more of the same throughout the week.

As far as word getting out, by this afternoon our airport's lobby (Moore County) was being filled up with donations. Not sure how that word spread but it did. Another pilot and his buddies were packaging some things up and were planning air drops for tomorrow. I want to say into Spruce Pine but I might be mistaken.

Lastly, at our first stop into Ashe County one of the guys asked if we could scrounge up anyone with a SXS or quad that would be willing to spend a few days there. Said they would house and feed them but they desperately needed help getting to people that they still couldn't reach. By the time we left there again later this evening he mentioned they've got almost 40 people now coming in tomorrow with those machines. I hope that pans out for them.

Both pics from Ashe County
    1727754943726.png
    1727754975274.png

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Prime example why we need to get rid of fema and just hand that task over to the national guard bueru. They could coordinate getting national guard and resources into the state and equipment. Ya got mp units to help local leos. Could call in way more aviation assessts. Engineer units to clear debris. Medical units to assist hospitals or set up field hospitals. But since the gwot the guard is mostly focused on fighting abroad then responding to stuff like this. Very thankful for the guard assets that are there. But man it could be so much more.

Top Bottom