• Status
    Not open for further replies.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Well here is my recommendation for you then ...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3941750240/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Be surprised how just a little Greek can keep one out of theological errors or at least make one question what one was taught.

For instance in the NIV, why is παράδοσις (paradosis) translated as tradition only when it has a negative connotation but when it is positive, another gloss is used?

Could it POSSIBLY be the translators have an agenda against tradition? hmm

An Orthodox Look at English Translations of the Bible

It's not translations its versions :xmad:

https://www.holy-trinity.org/liturgics/nrsv.html

Its all Greek to me.

Wait.

That's foszoe's line. ;)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Be surprised how just a little Greek can keep one out of theological errors or at least make one question what one was taught.

First, it was mostly a joke. :)

Second, though, because humor usually has a kernel of truth, I do refer to the Greek version/translations sometimes with some personal research on the word usage if its something I'm interested in.

Having learned a few languages in my life, I am of a belief that the best translation is sometimes a matter of triangulation. That isn't isolated to the Bible, either.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    just purchased an intro Russian text.

First, it was mostly a joke. :)

Second, though, because humor usually has a kernel of truth, I do refer to the Greek version/translations sometimes with some personal research on the word usage if its something I'm interested in.

Having learned a few languages in my life, I am of a belief that the best translation is sometimes a matter of triangulation. That isn't isolated to the Bible, either.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My friend uses the CSB. Some things annoy me (because I'm an unrepentent right wing misogenist), like when they translate the word for "brothers" as "brothers and sisters."

It is like Trudeau's "Peoplekind" quote.

I dunno - I think it makes it more clear when the bible is actually speaking to men only.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    For those who observe Lent, may your Lenten journey be blessed and may you be rewarded for your repentance with a new found wonder at the joy of the resurrection.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    9 Things You Can Give Up For Lent With Minimal Effort

lent-astley.jpg

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    So I had a random curiosity strike me the other day. How do the early months of the year get their names. I get that July and August are the most epic acts of narcissism ever. "Just in case you forget about me, I'll remind you every year." Which threw off the last few months: the 9-12th month names correspond to Latin terms for 7-10 :n00b:

But how about February? I wasn't aware of how that one came to be. Well, that comes from februum, Latin for the Roman purification festival that fell on the 15th of February. The 15th of February is close to and sometimes the exact day of the start of Lent, which obviously is also a time of purification. There are of course other symbolisms tied into the timing of Lent now, but like so many of the things we observe/celebrate, there seem to be roots in religious festivals that predate Christ.

Now mind you, that's no reason to give up the observance. You don't see me calling it quits on Christmas, for instance. God has a long history of taking our ignorance and using it for His purpose.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom