CathyInBlue Shootered??? (Also, what's for breakfast??)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't think the intent of relaxing of rules was to allow non-believers to now make their "unicorn" snarks. Or so that the believers can now proselytize or tell the non-believers how damned they are. Those are generally the way internet wars tend to start.

When I browse Reddit, I have it set to hide the /r/atheism subreddit because I don't want to see it. It's just negative content aimed at shaming and making fun of those that follow religion.

I'm disappointed to find it leaking into INGO. Be religious, be non-religious... but keep the petty jabs and memes out of it. I don't see anyone here trying to convert people, but I do see posts belittling those that follow religion. Always tends to be like that.

Edit: That's not to say there isn't good or quality contributions on INGO coming from those that consider themselves atheists. But a couple here and there prefer the negative stuff.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    When I browse Reddit, I have it set to hide the /r/atheism subreddit because I don't want to see it. It's just negative content aimed at shaming and making fun of those that follow religion.

I'm disappointed to find it leaking into INGO. Be religious, be non-religious... but keep the petty jabs and memes out of it. I don't see anyone here trying to convert people, but I do see posts belittling those that follow religion. Always tends to be like that.

Edit: That's not to say there isn't good or quality contributions on INGO coming from those that consider themselves atheists. But a couple here and there prefer the negative stuff.

:+1:

It should be pretty obvious to people when they've deployed snark. And we need to be intellectually honest enough to admit that. And some people on both sides have have deployed some snark not as opaquely as they may think. But I won't rule out the possibility that perhaps they don't realize how some of the things they say may offend the other side.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

Oh, there are plenty of religious folks here who make plenty of jabs at those who aren't. It happens both ways, and I see them both.

Me, I prefer to keep private things like my beliefs private and talk about them in the company of like minded people. My closest friends are of a wide variety of beliefs and backgrounds and part of the reason they are close friends is because they can respect we have differences and leave it at that. Too many people on every gun forum I'm on think that just because we may share guns as an enthusiasm we share every other belief as well and if we don't then we are bitter enemies. With that, I'm back out of this discussion because I do try to mostly stay out of religion and politics here.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slKULc8W7lM

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Oh, there are plenty of religious folks here who make plenty of jabs at those who aren't. It happens both ways, and I see them both.

Me, I prefer to keep private things like my beliefs private and talk about them in the company of like minded people. My closest friends are of a wide variety of beliefs and backgrounds and part of the reason they are close friends is because they can respect we have differences and leave it at that. Too many people on every gun forum I'm on think that just because we may share guns as an enthusiasm we share every other belief as well and if we don't then we are bitter enemies. With that, I'm back out of this discussion because I do try to mostly stay out of religion and politics here.

Although I'm quoting shibumiseeker I also pretty much agree with jamil posts 118 & 122. Just wanted to say, the way I interpret it, is the mods came down hard on infractions in this case partly to send a message. I think this could be interpreted optimistically for the immediate future of the religious discussion experiment. I think perhaps they will wait a bit and see if the fact that they are serious about keeping these particular threads on a short leash will be taken to heart. With rights go responsibilities so time to step up. I certainly won't be casting the first stone. I am very sorry about who it was that got caught up in this example - peterson would understand - and hope they return at the end of their time out

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Although I'm quoting shibumiseeker I also pretty much agree with jamil posts 118 & 122. Just wanted to say, the way I interpret it, is the mods came down hard on infractions in this case partly to send a message. I think this could be interpreted optimistically for the immediate future of the religious discussion experiment. I think perhaps they will wait a bit and see if the fact that they are serious about keeping these particular threads on a short leash will be taken to heart. With rights go responsibilities so time to step up. I certainly won't be casting the first stone. I am very sorry about who it was that got caught up in this example - peterson would understand - and hope they return at the end of their time out

Please know that we are monitoring this (religion) as we said we would from the start.
    We asked for civility and observance of existing forum rules.
    For the most part that was followed by the majority.
    I was to watch this (new guy) and read most every post. I did send some PM's asking that tone/rhetoric be turned down and save for 1 they complied.
    I eased off reading every single post and let the threads run on as it seemed to be doing OK.
    Right after that there was a dust up. Tensions rose, things were said and decorum broke down.
    Just like we said at the first this was dealt with.
    Cathy has stated that even a temp ban would keep her away. I hope she did not mean this as she wrote her own ticket. D-ric the same.
    If they choose to return I will welcome them both. If not, business as usual.
    That is where we stand.
    I really want this experiment......yes, again ,experiment to succeed. This is up to you all.

To those who feel we are heavy handed and only let the village idiots stay....well....really. Not cool.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

See below
    Several years ago we banned talk about religion as things were getting to heated. We have decided to remove the ban and open the topic back up for discussion. We expect the forum rules to be followed. As always:

-Keep these discussions "Civil".

-No Bashing/name calling/threats etc. This is a no brainer and is covered by existing Forum rules.

-Anyone crossing the line will receive an appropriate response from the Mod staff at our discretion.

This is a test to see if we can act in an adult manner and have civil discussions on this topic.

Thanks INGO! :ingo:

Fenway

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Please know that we are monitoring this (religion) as we said we would from the start.
    We asked for civility and observance of existing forum rules.
    For the most part that was followed by the majority.
    I was to watch this (new guy) and read most every post. I did send some PM's asking that tone/rhetoric be turned down and save for 1 they complied.
    I eased off reading every single post and let the threads run on as it seemed to be doing OK.
    Right after that there was a dust up. Tensions rose, things were said and decorum broke down.
    Just like we said at the first this was dealt with.
    Cathy has stated that even a temp ban would keep her away. I hope she did not mean this as she wrote her own ticket. D-ric the same.
    If they choose to return I will welcome them both. If not, business as usual.
    That is where we stand.
    I really want this experiment......yes, again ,experiment to succeed. This is up to you all.

To those who feel we are heavy handed and only let the village idiots stay....well....really. Not cool.
    No disrespect meant CM. I'm honestly really trying to take your post seriously but the whole time I was reading it I kept glancing over at your avatar. :):

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom