• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Need to recheck....under 40...and getting closer to 30.

Of course for all the knob and tube guys out there...I can understand if you are still running very inefficient homes!

Edit: Did you include a NG run out to a house sitting 1/2 mile off the road with no NG lines around? Suburbanite!

Edit: K&T is there so Hatin' can get edumacated
    I was about to kick myself. Bought a whole house natural gas generator for 8. Around 4500 sq ft

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I looked into one of those two years ago and was quoted $12k-$14k and I'm not even heating 2000 sq ft. How long ago did you get yours?
    If you're on REMC check with them. When we first moved where we are now REMC had an essentially 60 percent off a whole house propane gennie. When we called and ordered it they told us it had been a limited time offer and had just expired, surprise! Last week. They wanted to know when they could come out and start the install. At full price no less. Sorry not this year, we'll rely on the 5k and transfer switch.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Millions of Americans use their trucks, just look at the steady flow of new RV's going south, millions have mowers and other equipment, like a skid steer, for their side jobs. Just look around and you will see trailers being pulled everywhere.

The virtue signaling comes directly from the owners of EV and their pious and smug attitudes they often exhibit to others. So much so South Park did an episode and renamed the Prius Pious. They get it.

The EV owners I have met are absolute idiots or willfully ignorant of how things work, I believe the latter mostly. They conveniently forget that the cars are actually powered by coal or gas in Indiana and that they have to count the pollution from the electric source when bragging about how clean their cars are...
    That’s a pretty broad brush. So you can’t imagine any other reasons besides “virtue signaling” why someone would want an EV? A friend of mine has one. He didn’t buy it to virtue signal. I’ve never seen any evidence that he’s given a **** about environmental concerns. He bought it for a daily commuter to work and because it’s cool, but I kinda think it’s mainly because it does 0-60 in just over 3 seconds.

If Tesla’s were put together halfway decent, I’d be tempted to buy one too. And that ***damn sure isn’t to virtue signal. As for the Cybertruck? Like I said, I think it’s really cool too. But the practical uses are limited.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Yeah we’re getting ready to get a new van. Thinking about the Pacifica hybrid which is plug-in or Toyota which is not.

Regular charging is 12 hours over night to get 30 miles. Meh.

My wife’s making 4 round trips a day. Maybe if we get one of those fast chargers, she can charge in between.

Seems like a waste and a pain.

But I’m assuming gas is going up.

Why’s everybody so against Nuclear? When was the last time we had an accident?

Does anyone not tell these people where electric comes from in the first place?

“The outlet on the wall!”

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That’s a pretty broad brush. So you can’t imagine any other reasons besides “virtue signaling” why someone would want an EV? A friend of mine has one. He didn’t buy it to virtue signal. I’ve never seen any evidence that he’s given a **** about environmental concerns. He bought it for a daily commuter to work and because it’s cool, but I kinda think it’s mainly because it does 0-60 in just over 3 seconds.

If Tesla’s were put together halfway decent, I’d be tempted to buy one too. And that ***damn sure isn’t to virtue signal. As for the Cybertruck? Like I said, I think it’s really cool too. But the practical uses are limited.

My god, we are talking human beings and their thinking processes, it will be all over the place. Generalities are just that, observations of generalities...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    One thing not touched on in our generalities discussion is CAFE standards that have gutted the safety of most cars and minivans. You think the soccer mom from Carmel totally stupid? She knows that a Yukon is far safer for her flock than most cars. So she makes it up by supporting recycling or the like...

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    While I wouldn’t dismiss it off hand like Tombs, that article is way more optimistic than reality bears. The handful of countries close to 100% renewable all have dinky economies. Making Iceland 100% reliant on renewable energy is nowhere near the same thing as implementing it here in the US. It’s gonna happen eventually. It is not just around the corner. Forcing the US to go beyond a natural, market-driven pace, will not be without significant hardship. Slow the **** down. Let the market drive the transition.

I don't dismiss it out of hand. I actually like the idea of us moving onto an energy solution that is a total and nearly infinite solution to a problem.

The problem is that the technology doesn't exist to store energy generated in most of these manners to make them a valid replacement for fossil fuel yet. Wind and solar generate tons of power, it's the matter of storing it for later use that is the hurdle that must be crossed for it to finally be a done deal.

Flywheel systems look, to me, to be the closest thing yet to a viable means of storing their energy for off-hours power storage. But like all of this stuff, it's ideals rattling around in someone's head rather than things being built in scale to make them dominate the market. We just get small scale deployment of effectively prototypes and pretend that we're changing the world. That's the part that drives me insane.

That said, I wouldn't consider electric cars to be a pie in the sky thing at all. The first motor vehicles were EVs, it has existed far longer than the internal combustion engine as a means of building a car. I also like the fact that unlike a gasoline vehicle, I can actually generate power myself. You aren't going to refine oil in your back yard, providing you could even find a supply of crude oil for yourself. Electric vehicles allow a degree of independence from the logistics of the world that is unparalleled.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My god, we are talking human beings and their thinking processes, it will be all over the place. Generalities are just that, observations of generalities...

I think it's fine to make general observations. I agree with your generalization that truck owners use them to do truck stuff, even if only occasionally. They haul stuff. They pull stuff. They even push stuff sometimes. They use them to go places many other vehicles can't go. But, a lot of people do buy trucks and don't really use them to do "truck" stuff. I don't think it's primary enough to make the generalization. I mean. I suppose it's enough to joke about. Point is, I'd agree with you that it's not a fair generalization of truck owners that they buy them and then never use them as trucks.

And that's the only problem I had with your statement about EV's. While it certainly is the motivation for many people to buy EV's, it's not a primary reason enough to make that generalization. But it's enough that we can joke about it. Just like South Park did.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yeah we’re getting ready to get a new van. Thinking about the Pacifica hybrid which is plug-in or Toyota which is not.

Regular charging is 12 hours over night to get 30 miles. Meh.

My wife’s making 4 round trips a day. Maybe if we get one of those fast chargers, she can charge in between.

Seems like a waste and a pain.

But I’m assuming gas is going up.

Why’s everybody so against Nuclear? When was the last time we had an accident?

Does anyone not tell these people where electric comes from in the first place?

“The outlet on the wall!”
    Sounds like a typical big three sabotage of new tech. No way it should take 12 hours to get 33 miles range. The Tesla 110 charger does 4-5 miles per hour. Additionally one of the problems with battery longevity is charging them to 100% and draining to zero. Tesla recommends staying between 40-80% except for longer trips to increase battery life. That’s simply not gonna be possible with a small battery plug in hybrid.

I’m very pro nuclear. I have friends that work in the nuke plants in Illinois and in Florida. They should be moved back to the gold standard of green energy. That said I think nuclear fusion is becoming very close to a reality in which case traditional nuke plants would be rendered obsolete

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Fellow "virtue signaller" here (SR+ RWD FSD). With the new $7k tax credit in the near future, the base price for cybertruck @ $33k looks better than ever.
    Hopefully, the Tri-motor will be available before all the tax credits are depleted. Currently, they're predicting 400k credits.

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Energy cost: Ran real numbers of ownership 2/10/20 thru 2/10/21 and came up with 2420kWh (11k miles x 220 wh/mi) Multiply that times your local electric rate and get your cost per year. Some localities give reduced rates “non-peak” (not mine). Cool thing is you can program to charge only during reduced rates if you desire. Indiana avg 0.10/ kWh. No other maintenance, didnt even run out of wiper fluid ( the only liquid in car that needs attn).
    Couple of charger setups at home set me back about $400 from an electrician friend, but overall saved well over $1k in fuel this past year.
    Zero need for supercharger, and have traveled to Louisville, Cincy, Lafayette, and Attica. Car is always full when I need it

Top Bottom