• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'd like to know what you're gonna do if your out offroad in the bush and your charge suddenly gets low due to increased load demands of rocks/mud/ruts. You can't just hike out of the wilderness and and carry in some more 'lectricity like you can a container of gas.

How far will it tow a camper or skid-steer? Seems pretty useless as a truck or more of a virtue-sigalling toy to commute in.
    What is the percentage of pickup truck owners that actually go offroad or pull skid-steers with their trucks? Especially off-roading in Indiana. There might be a couple of off road parks in Indiana, but we ain't exactly Moab.

As far as virtue signalling...that's a weird take. Are different forms of energy liberal or conservative now?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    What is the percentage of pickup truck owners that actually go offroad or pull skid-steers with their trucks? Especially off-roading in Indiana. There might be a couple of off road parks in Indiana, but we ain't exactly Moab.

As far as virtue signalling...that's a weird take. Are different forms of energy liberal or conservative now?

Millions of Americans use their trucks, just look at the steady flow of new RV's going south, millions have mowers and other equipment, like a skid steer, for their side jobs. Just look around and you will see trailers being pulled everywhere.

The virtue signaling comes directly from the owners of EV and their pious and smug attitudes they often exhibit to others. So much so South Park did an episode and renamed the Prius Pious. They get it.

The EV owners I have met are absolute idiots or willfully ignorant of how things work, I believe the latter mostly. They conveniently forget that the cars are actually powered by coal or gas in Indiana and that they have to count the pollution from the electric source when bragging about how clean their cars are...

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    At least 75% of the people I know that have 4x4's use them offroad and/or for heavy towing, that's why they were purchased. Maybe suburbanites/Carmel housewives don't buy them for work but most rural folks actually use their trucks as the tools they are.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Millions of Americans use their trucks, just look at the steady flow of new RV's going south, millions have mowers and other equipment, like a skid steer, for their side jobs. Just look around and you will see trailers being pulled everywhere.

The virtue signaling comes directly from the owners of EV and their pious and smug attitudes they often exhibit to others. So much so South Park did an episode and renamed the Prius Pious. They get it.

The EV owners I have met are absolute idiots or willfully ignorant of how things work, I believe the latter mostly. They conveniently forget that the cars are actually powered by coal or gas in Indiana and that they have to count the pollution from the electric source when bragging about how clean their cars are...
    I'm betting that there are millions more pickup trucks that have never pulled a skid steer or a trailer with mowing equipment on a regular basis than there are that have. About 80% of Americans live in or near urban areas, and most trucks spend the vast majority of their time hauling air in the bed.

As far as judging people by what they choose to drive...the only question is, who is the bigger idiot?

At least 75% of the people I know that have 4x4's use them offroad and/or for heavy towing, that's why they were purchased. Maybe suburbanites/Carmel housewives don't buy them for work but most rural folks actually use their trucks as the tools they are.
    Most folks are not rural. So your sample size is heavily biased. If 75% of your friends are deer hunters, that doesn't mean that 75% of Hoosiers are deer hunters.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Solar baby!

ISedPEP.jpg

Bright and sunny future!

Just not for this last week...
    F9kVUXA.jpg

Just taken a few minutes ago today... Just look at all the clean power it's not producing!

Power for home, industry and the future!!

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis

In response to that last part I’m very aware of where the power comes from. I can hear gas turbines running from my desk right now....

I also believe that natural gas is the stop gap measure that gets us to 100% renewables. Boon T Pickens did a wonderful Ted talk on it that’s absolutely worth listening to. Natural gas is so much cleaner and nicer to work around than coal. It’s also very abundant and can be gotten dirt cheap as long as they keep building pipelines.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I'm betting that there are millions more pickup trucks that have never pulled a skid steer or a trailer with mowing equipment on a regular basis than there are that have. About 80% of Americans live in or near urban areas, and most trucks spend the vast majority of their time hauling air in the bed.

As far as judging people by what they choose to drive...the only question is, who is the bigger idiot?

Most folks are not rural. So your sample size is heavily biased. If 75% of your friends are deer hunters, that doesn't mean that 75% of Hoosiers are deer hunters.
    Then what's the point of owning a truck if not using it to haul or tow or go off road? Everything about truck ownership is more expensive and inefficient than cars; fuel (mpg), tires (esp. duallies), brakes, and just about every type of maintenance/parts/repairs.

It makes no sense for suburbanites to own trucks, unless they just like to be the one with the biggest and baddest most wasteful vehicle.

BTW, I personally don't like trucks as a daily driver and do not understand the desire so many have for them given the extra expenses listed above. They ride, handle, burn more fuel, are more difficult to park and do just about everything worse than a car for any purpose other than hauling or towing. I live in the city and do own a truck as my bad weather beater and to occasionally haul lawn/house loads and despise having to drive it but it saves wear and tear and devaluation of my fun/commuter cars. I don't drive it unless I have to.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'd like to know what you're gonna do if your out offroad in the bush and your charge suddenly gets low due to increased load demands of rocks/mud/ruts. You can't just hike out of the wilderness and and carry in some more 'lectricity like you can a container of gas.

How far will it tow a camper or skid-steer? Seems pretty useless as a truck or more of a virtue-sigalling toy to commute in.
    I do projects with my truck right now. It’s My truck for work although my Particular deal doesn’t come with a gas card. I don’t tow but I do haul men and materials regularly.

I might buy a boat in the next year and if so the Tesla truck should tow it fine to the lake. Current owners estimate a 50% reduction in range while towing so if it does 600 miles I’m good. remember gas mileage goes to **** when you tow with an ICE you just don’t pay much attention.

The only scenario I see needing an ICE truck is for my mountain hunting trips and honestly I’d prefer to rent anyway than put 3k miles on my truck in a week.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Then what's the point of owning a truck if not using it to haul or tow or go off road?...
    You must lead a sheltered life. I could throw a rock out of my office window right now and hit a half dozen trucks that have never hauled anything heavier than groceries.

Even more puzzling to me, why does every other 30 something soccer mom on the road drive a 4 door Jeep?:dunno:

I don't think they're heading to Moab anytime soon.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You must lead a sheltered life. I could throw a rock out of my office window right now and hit a half dozen trucks that have never hauled anything heavier than groceries.

Even more puzzling to me, why does every other 30 something soccer mom on the road drive a 4 door Jeep?:dunno:

I don't think they're heading to Moab anytime soon.
    My favorite are the guys that compensate by buying a F250/2500 or larger but dont have anything to tow. Or even better, a Cummins.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

While a cybertruck isn’t ready for primetime competition with “real” trucks, I wouldn’t call it virtue signaling necessarily. Toy value is not insignificant. Plus it can out-tow any current internal combustion based pickup truck. It just can’t sustain it very long on a single charge. So there are practical uses for it. Just limited right now.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Then what's the point of owning a truck if not using it to haul or tow or go off road? Everything about truck ownership is more expensive and inefficient than cars; fuel (mpg), tires (esp. duallies), brakes, and just about every type of maintenance/parts/repairs.

It makes no sense for suburbanites to own trucks, unless they just like to be the one with the biggest and baddest most wasteful vehicle.

BTW, I personally don't like trucks as a daily driver and do not understand the desire so many have for them given the extra expenses listed above. They ride, handle, burn more fuel, are more difficult to park and do just about everything worse than a car for any purpose other than hauling or towing. I live in the city and do own a truck as my bad weather beater and to occasionally haul lawn/house loads and despise having to drive it but it saves wear and tear and devaluation of my fun/commuter cars. I don't drive it unless I have to.
    What's the point of owning a sports car or a muscle car, if you aren't going to do street drags or join SCCA? What's the point of owning a Jeep if you are not going to hit the rocks every weekend?

People like what they like, and raw economics isn't the deciding factor the majority of the time. By your reasoning, it makes no sense for most people to own anything other than a Toyota Prius, which is the least expensive car to own and operate. It has plenty of room for groceries and whatnot, being a hatchback design. You actually make the point for an electric truck with your own logic. Less operating cost and can do most of what an ICE pickup can do.

I like my pickup truck for a variety or reasons. It sits up higher than a car, has AWD for improved traction in inclement weather, rides smooth and gets decent gas mileage. It's a Honda Ridgeline, which I'm sure will draw the "tHaT's nOt a rEaL tRUcK" comments from those who mostly haul their egos in their Super Canyonero Dually XXL John Wayne Ranch Edition, but it does everything I need it to do, and quite a bit more than any car. It makes plenty of sense for me to own a vehicle with the passenger room and all-weather capability of an SUV with the ability to haul the occasional piece of furniture, landscaping supplies or whatever else an open bed is good for.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Mmm hmm.

Mmm hmm 2.0

Despite much hype, Germany still generates just 35% of its electricity from renewables. And if biomass burning, often dirtier than coal, is excluded, wind, water and solar electricity in Germany accounted for just 27% of electricity generation in 2018.

But McKinsey issues its strongest warning when it comes to Germany's increasingly insecure energy supply due to its heavy reliance on intermittent solar and wind. For three days in June 2019, the electricity grid came close to black-outs.

"Only short-term imports from neighboring countries were able to stabilize the grid," the consultancy notes.

As a result of Germany's energy supply shortage, the highest observed cost of short-term "balancing energy" skyrocketed from €64 in 2017 to €37,856 in 2019.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

No, any form of energy can become a progressive form of energy as soon as an attemnpt is made to force or require people to select or adopt it. It is the coercion for the 'good of mother earth' that informs the label

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    That is a future step in the program. The friends of mother earth will decide for you whether you need a truck or not, they just can't take the gloves off yet or the people who think intrusive restrictions will never affect them might wake up too soon
    For those people it is about sending a message Just like driving an Audi or owning a truck SUV that says Porsche on the side (I would never actually consider it to be a Porsche) or wearing cowboy boots, it's all part of dress-up
    The funniest part to me is the people claiming that they like them because they sit up high and can see over traffic. What happens when most people adopt the same strategy, which is pretty much what we have now. Like standing up at a concert, pretty soon everybody does it and no one can see

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That is a future step in the program. The friends of mother earth will decide for you whether you need a truck or not, they just can't take the gloves off yet or the people who think intrusive restrictions will never affect them might wake up too soon

For those people it is about sending a message Just like driving an Audi or owning a truck SUV that says Porsche on the side (I would never actually consider it to be a Porsche) or wearing cowboy boots, it's all part of dress-up

The funniest part to me is the people claiming that they like them because they sit up high and can see over traffic. What happens when most people adopt the same strategy, which is pretty much what we have now. Like standing up at a concert, pretty soon everybody does it and no one can see
    Best part about that tesla is it somehow usually knows when there is a car in front of the car in front of me. I’ll try to get a picture and post but the screen shows all the cars around you in real time. I have a better view driving that car than in my truck

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Best part about that tesla is it somehow usually knows when there is a car in front of the car in front of me. I’ll try to get a picture and post but the screen shows all the cars around you in real time. I have a better view driving that car than in my truck
    I achieve all the same capabilities with a 2011 WRX (not STI) that can go more than twice as far on a 'tank' that I can refill just about anywhere in 5 minutes. And it is quicker than a model S

ICE forced induction for the win

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    While a cybertruck isn’t ready for primetime competition with “real” trucks, I wouldn’t call it virtue signaling necessarily. Toy value is not insignificant. Plus it can out-tow any current internal combustion based pickup truck. It just can’t sustain it very long on a single charge. So there are practical uses for it. Just limited right now.

Plus BULLETPROOF.

#justsayin

Top Bottom