• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    That's amazing Rooster!. Your LR battery must accept more kW than my SR+ battery. Last I checked maxed out at 98kW on a V2.

I still enjoy my dino powered machines as much as the next guy. No intentions to convert my 68 Fastback to electric, unfeasible for my Class A motorhome or tractors, UTVs, or bike as well. 20+ gas powered machines that all have their purposes just like Tesla's purpose is my everyday commuter. Only providing facts for those that may be on the fence about making the economical jump into EVs like I was a couple years ago. No way would I have trusted a computer to drive me to and from work... now it would feel archaic if it didn't. Still figuring out roundabouts and stoplights, but 90% of my drive is on 465. The other 10% is 1 pedal driving.

Which leads to other Cons IMO:
    1) Too much torque (blasphemy). The combination of RWD, highly pressurized tires (45psi) and high powered torque at any speed leads to hydroplaning on any wet roads.
    2) Cold weather range degradation, and phantom battery drain.
    3) Camera/ sensor blockade with bad weather.
    4) You're tempted to race every muscle/ sports car off the line
    5) The experience of driving other nice cars is ruined :)

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Which leads to other Cons IMO:
    1) Too much torque (blasphemy). The combination of RWD, highly pressurized tires (45psi) and high powered torque at any speed leads to hydroplaning on any wet roads.
    Can’t get the LR AWD (w/acceleration boost) to cut loose even in snow or sleet unless you turn on “slip start”

Percolater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Can’t get the LR AWD (w/acceleration boost) to cut loose even in snow or sleet unless you turn on “slip start”
    Thanks, I've seen that option, but never thought about turning on. Also I lowered my tire pressures down to 35 and that seemed to help during winter (obviously less efficient).

When you're setting up your next house, might I recommend adding an exterior outlet for future EV guests that may need a quick charge. I have other family members that visit with EVs from out of state, so I added a couple Nema 14-50 that give them 38mi/hr on the 50 amp. My favorite part is the outlet can backfeed the panel, so when I lose power the generator hookup is simple on the exterior. Also will be simple to plug the house into the Cybrtck as a generator in the future. Can't hurt the home value.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Wow, a whopping 250 mile range. And I don't know a trucker that wants to wait that long to charge, they barley want to take the time to sleep much less wait for a charge.
    They have their place. They're not ready to go cross-country. But they'd work fine for regional shipping.

Here's another: Tesla's semi.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Central planning the power grid, along with central planning the power that vehicles can use, will all end in failure.

All central planning in the past has been an abject failure and so to will be central planning in the future.

The error in believing that centrally planned anything is better is that if ignores the distributed knowledge possessed by the masses.

A small group of central planners will never be able to make complex decisions as well millions of self-interested humans. The outcomes of central planning will always be worse, will cost more, and will impoverish people.

Yet here we are again.
    To the extent that "central planning" means big government I tend to agree. But designing a power grid while accounting for future uses is not a bad thing. It doesn't have to be big government. The term can be generic instead of essentially being the communist version of it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I’ll believe it when I see it.

That new eCascadia takes more than 90 minutes to charge and that’s assuming one doesn’t have to wait on the other trucks charging.

There’s no way our current electric grid can keep up with it on any mass scale.

The main point is, we are being forced into technologies that do not yet feaseably exist yet. Technical innovation cannot be forced, it comes in it 's own time. R&D takes alot of time and $$ an we're not there yet. Not for probably decades.

How long has nuclear fusion been only 50 years away? Almost 100 years now.
    That's very true. So we need to modernize the power grid so that it can handle it. I think that means that we shouldn't take any power sources off the table, but we should focus on apportioning them to the best uses. Instead of using up millions of acres of land with massive solar and wind farms, those sources should be more individually apportioned. Focus on getting the cost and scale down so that people can afford to do these themselves. Add a solar roof to your house, or a windmill to your yard. Get off the grid so that you're nether dependent on it nor a burden.

As for powering the grid, use what's most economically viable and efficient, while making it as eco-friendly as possible. Natural gas, coal, hydro, nuclear should be the primary sources, and with a lot more nuclear.

Electric cars are going to be the future whether we like it or not. It's like some of you guys are opposed to EV's as a sort of religious zealotry, rather than any practical matter. EV's aren't practical for all uses today, but they are very practical for some uses today. And I get it. The power grid is and has been a problem for a long time. Modernizing it isn't a bad thing as long as it's not designed through purely ideological goals. Just let the the best engineers have at it.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    They have been doing it for a few years in formula E. Some of the early years were the best racing I’ve seen in a long time. Each team and manufacturer builds their own gearbox/motor/ brake controllers if I remember right. Like nascar in the good ol days

Neat but it sounds like saturday afternoon at the arcade for the slot car finals. There's something about hearing a hi revving turbo engine at 12k rpms that is damn near as satisfying as a good . . . uh . . . well you get the point.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Neat but it sounds like saturday afternoon at the arcade for the slot car finals. There's something about hearing a hi revving turbo engine at 12k rpms that is damn near as satisfying as a good . . . uh . . . well you get the point.
    Well. They could do like Ford did with the Raptor and pump fake engine noises through speakers.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    That's very true. So we need to modernize the power grid so that it can handle it. I think that means that we shouldn't take any power sources off the table, but we should focus on apportioning them to the best uses. Instead of using up millions of acres of land with massive solar and wind farms, those sources should be more individually apportioned. Focus on getting the cost and scale down so that people can afford to do these themselves. Add a solar roof to your house, or a windmill to your yard. Get off the grid so that you're nether dependent on it nor a burden.

As for powering the grid, use what's most economically viable and efficient, while making it as eco-friendly as possible. Natural gas, coal, hydro, nuclear should be the primary sources, and with a lot more nuclear.

Electric cars are going to be the future whether we like it or not. It's like some of you guys are opposed to EV's as a sort of religious zealotry, rather than any practical matter. EV's aren't practical for all uses today, but they are very practical for some uses today. And I get it. The power grid is and has been a problem for a long time. Modernizing it isn't a bad thing as long as it's not designed through purely ideological goals. Just let the the best engineers have at it.
    Electric cars are the savior from min gen!

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    To the extent that "central planning" means big government I tend to agree. But designing a power grid while accounting for future uses is not a bad thing. It doesn't have to be big government. The term can be generic instead of essentially being the communist version of it.
    Decentralized power grids with multiple grids that can run independently is far superior to what we are going to end up having.

The less centralized, the better.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Decentralized power grids with multiple grids that can run independently is far superior to what we are going to end up having.

Yes. Much like the highway system, we want decentralized with cross connects. Allow energy to flow between, for fixing demand issues, but keep them separated. It would be bad enough of IPL or NIPSCO had issues and went down. A couple million without power. Not good, but its better than the potential for 330 million of us in the dark.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Yes. Much like the highway system, we want decentralized with cross connects. Allow energy to flow between, for fixing demand issues, but keep them separated. It would be bad enough of IPL or NIPSCO had issues and went down. A couple million without power. Not good, but its better than the potential for 330 million of us in the dark.
    California is going to find out the hard way.

They have exported all of their real energy generation because of "Green". There will be a time when they look around and their electric cars, A/C units, computers, street lights, refrigerators, water pumping stations..... all are idle because of some "unforeseen" event.

Only I can sit here and state unequivocally that there will be an unforeseen event that they can foresee! There high power lines will get scorched (already happened), taken down by earthquake, tsunami, whatever.

Much better to have overlapping decentralized power generation spread over the state/country. Those are harder to knock out, easier to repair and much more sturdy.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Designing a power grid with centralized planning doesn’t mean the power grid we get will be centralized. It just won’t be hodge-podge.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Designing a power grid with centralized planning doesn’t mean the power grid we get will be centralized. It just won’t be hodge-podge.
    Except centralized planning always leads to centralized structures. It is much easier to control for the bureaucrats.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    California is going to find out the hard way.

They have exported all of their real energy generation because of "Green". There will be a time when they look around and their electric cars, A/C units, computers, street lights, refrigerators, water pumping stations..... all are idle because of some "unforeseen" event.

Only I can sit here and state unequivocally that there will be an unforeseen event that they can foresee! There high power lines will get scorched (already happened), taken down by earthquake, tsunami, whatever.

Much better to have overlapping decentralized power generation spread over the state/country. Those are harder to knock out, easier to repair and much more sturdy.
    California will really find out the hard way if (when) there is an equipment casualty at any of the converter stations at either end of their DC Interties.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Listening to stories from Texas and other places it sounds bad, glad I've got power and supplies even if we are stuck here.

I wonder how long before the angry urchin of climate change starts screaming at those folks who are unhappy with green energy's failure in all of this mess down south.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Listening to stories from Texas and other places it sounds bad, glad I've got power and supplies even if we are stuck here.

I wonder how long before the angry urchin of climate change starts screaming at those folks who are unhappy with green energy's failure in all of this mess down south.

Can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.
    They need to sacrifice themselves to Gaia.

Top Bottom