• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    There's likely an engineering solution to this. Topping off a battery doesn't affect it's life as much as 0-full charging, which one should avoid anyway. I doubt that the major players in the automobile industry that are making plans to move towards electric vehicles forgot to ask how long the batteries last.
    In current high charge density battery technology, the areas best avoided are the bottom 20% and the top 10% of capacity and the reason is irreversible changes in the electrodes over time. That is not to say that those changes do not occur at a slower rate even when charging/discharging is not excessive, which is why the battery has a limited useful life

There may, in fact, be an engineering solution, but perhaps it would be better to have an idea of what that might be before leaping into widespread rollout of a technology - especially when a superior technology already exists

Edit: Given the parameters from the article posted upthread, would you be satisfied if your ICE only lasted for 500 tankfuls and the capacity of the gas tank decreased by 20% over the course of that span

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Ok so I own a Tesla model 3. It’s a long range awd. Love the car, absolutely it’s better than gas in almost every way. Tesla supercharger network is the model for what charging should look like. When I stop in Whitestown I’m adding around 600 miles of range per hour. Stop at some random ChargePoint 220 charger 20 miles in an hour if I’m lucky. I plug it in every night and don’t give a second thought. Planning on moving this coming summer and will get solar installed on the next house. Now that I am using more power it’s honestly a no brainer.

all that said I’m sure the intellectuals and researchers are seeing the same trends. People want to get solar and as soon as it makes $$ sense when they get an electric car they do it. Top that off with I’m now seeing that solar battery setups are almost as cheap as whole house generators and i think you are going to see a mass exodus from the residential grid in the next decade.
    Uhhh, the last time I checked a rooftop solar system with sufficient storage to run an entire household, and thus replace a standby generator, was over $70000. I should be able to have a home nuclear power plant for that, it is 7 to 10 times what a whole house NG powered set-up would cost

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    EDIT: Electric door locks...

Point is simple. I wouldn't buy them until the late 90's.

You guys make me look like a nervous nellie.

Notice no one answered.

but I would bet no one here was a early adopter.

You will still all put your private info in your cell phones though! LOL

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Uhhh, the last time I checked a rooftop solar system with sufficient storage to run an entire household, and thus replace a standby generator, was over $70000. I should be able to have a home nuclear power plant for that, it is 7 to 10 times what a whole house NG powered set-up would cost
    Need to recheck....under 40...and getting closer to 30.

Of course for all the knob and tube guys out there...I can understand if you are still running very inefficient homes!

Edit: Did you include a NG run out to a house sitting 1/2 mile off the road with no NG lines around? Suburbanite!

Edit: K&T is there so Hatin' can get edumacated

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Need to recheck....under 40...and getting closer to 30.

Of course for all the knob and tube guys out there...I can understand if you are still running very inefficient homes!

Edit: Did you include a NG run out to a house sitting 1/2 mile off the road with no NG lines around? Suburbanite!
    It’s only cost efficient if you plan on throttling your energy usage if the power actually goes out.

If your shtf plan relies on needing every light in the house running, A/C on , multiple freezers and space heaters all running at the same time then solar might not be for you.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    EDIT: Electric door locks...

Point is simple. I wouldn't buy them until the late 90's.

You guys make me look like a nervous nellie.

Notice no one answered.

but I would bet no one here was a early adopter.

You will still all put your private info in your cell phones though! LOL
    I adopted as soon as I bought a vehicle that was new enough to have them (1997). Didn't give it a second thought. Door locks weren't a feature that I was concerned about. :dunno: Power train was more important to me.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    It’s only cost efficient if you plan on throttling your energy usage if the power actually goes out.

If your shtf plan relies on needing every light in the house running, A/C on , multiple freezers and space heaters all running at the same time then solar might not be for you.
    I admit. I don't count A/C as a necessity. If it gets too hot, I'll go down in the walk out basement, or the cellar!

I also admit. I was raised by people that grew up in the depression so I don't run every light in the house! But I do like molasses and biscuits.

I do have ground source geothermal, a well, 2 freezers, a wood source for heat that works fine just makes me do more work, 2 refrigerators, and a propane sourced generator backup.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I adopted as soon as I bought a vehicle that was new enough to have them (1997). Didn't give it a second thought. Door locks weren't a feature that I was concerned about. :dunno: Power train was more important to me.
    ok....do power windows? :)

If you didn't worry about not being able to roll it back up in the winter...you are a closet biden supporter.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    ok....do power windows? :)

If you didn't worry about not being able to roll it back up in the winter...you are a closet biden supporter.
    My first car was a 1960 Olds 98 - with power windows, power seats and a Wonder Bar on the tube radio. What else ya got? :)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Works for me! BTW I was born in 1959. The car was 17 years old when I started driving it. But it was awesome and I wish I still had it. :):

I was gonna come at you with the rich Republican angle since you got one so early but I decided against it :)

I had to think back though, and I should have refined my post a little, but then again whats new? LOL.

I didn't BUY one until the late 90s but my first car was a 1976 Pontiac Grand Prix Golden edition with T tops and it had electric all around! Loved that car until it threw a rod, but man it could get up and go.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm in the early stages of researching solar. I've got the ground for a large array and if the tax credits make it worthwhile I may do it. The biggest question I have is whether or not I would have any power available should the power be shut off. Many in California either thought they would or never asked but when they killed the power out there due to the fires those who had paid for solar systems had no more power than those who had not.

I'm not paying tens of thousands for a system someone else can shut off at will.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I'm in the early stages of researching solar. I've got the ground for a large array and if the tax credits make it worthwhile I may do it. The biggest question I have is whether or not I would have any power available should the power be shut off. Many in California either thought they would or never asked but when they killed the power out there due to the fires those who had paid for solar systems had no more power than those who had not.

I'm not paying tens of thousands for a system someone else can shut off at will.
    research hybrid. Key is battery storage for you.

that's where you want to be.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was gonna come at you with the rich Republican angle since you got one so early but I decided against it :)

I had to think back though, and I should have refined my post a little, but then again whats new? LOL.

I didn't BUY one until the late 90s but my first car was a 1976 Pontiac Grand Prix Golden edition with T tops and it had electric all around! Loved that car until it threw a rod, but man it could get up and go.
    I loved that old car. It was my dad's former boss's "work car" and it had sat in his garage for 5 years before he bought it. Engine was seized but dad freed it up by pouring diesel in the cylinders. He slapped an Earl Scheib paint job on it.

The Wonder Bar on the radio was cool. In addition to the bar on the radio (for scanning to the next strongest station), it also had a switch on the floor, next to the dimmer switch for the headlights. I used to have a lot of fun messing with people by pointing at the radio with my finger and "magically" changing the station (they weren't looking at my left foot). :):

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Edit: Given the parameters from the article posted upthread, would you be satisfied if your ICE only lasted for 500 tankfuls and the capacity of the gas tank decreased by 20% over the course of that span
    I'm not concerned about battery life. I know it's not a pure EV, but I've personally gone from 119,000 miles to 320,000 in 2.5 years in a 2010 Toyota Prius that I bought in 2014 while working as a courier with zero battery issues. There are 15 year old Toyota hybrids still running around on the original batteries with little drop in performance.

They'll figure it out.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I might have missed it but if you go to full electric vehicles and your no longer paying the gas tax for road repairs and new roads they will have to tax your mileage to pay for them. So much for savings.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Same, first ones I had came with the car, would not have paid extra for them

You can just unlock the door with the key if you're out of electricity (battery run down) though, can't quite do that with electric for motive power so I didn't really see the connection

Top Bottom