• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana

WOW that is WAY overpriced!

Yes it was, & they did not make it clear that the lottery was for the option to buy.. a few folks got ticked that it was not for a free bottle...
    I did get to taste Blood oath, which was also on the lottery @ $100 + / bottle..
    I personally did not like it much.. I did pick up 2 bottles of Weller SR @ less than $20 each ...

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Coming in 2016: Neat: The Bourbon Film
    Here is a sneak peak and cameo of one of the founders toward the end:

Warning! Watching this brings emotions of "Where's my glass!" Or "Damn, I need a drink!"
    [video=youtube_share;ADkEGmTqsXQ]http://youtu.be/ADkEGmTqsXQ[/video]

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Found a bottle of ELIJAH CRAIG "BARREL PROOF" tonight. My local adult beverage shop got an allocation of 3 bottles :(

Paid a bit over $40 for the bottle.

ELIJAH CRAIG "12" is a well respected modest price bourbon. The limited release "BARREL PROOF" variety is hard to find, some stores get it, most stores don't get any, and a few get a pretty good allocation. I've been looking for the "BARREL PROOF" for a few months, ever since it was announed and released to the wild. All searching was in vein. Until today. In fact it fell off my radar.

I was greeted by the regular night clerk, he said to go back to the office, the owner had a bottle for me. It was the ELIJAH CRAIG "BARREL PROOF" :)

Not sure when I'll get around to cracking the seal.

Would you mind posting a pic of the bottle? I'd like to keep an eye out for it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Would you mind posting a pic of the bottle? I'd like to keep an eye out for it.

How about this ... seriously in Photobucket it is right side up :xmad:

image.jpg1_zpsuw9n7c1a.jpg

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Since Elijah Craig was popular last few pages, I decided to give it a try. I felt like I was cheating on my wife when I bought it. I am so used to picking up Makers at the local store that it really felt strange getting this bottle. Even felt odd putting it into my cabinet where my bottle of makers usually sits. Had a draw off it tonight. Pretty good. Little stronger flavor, but I think I'll get to like it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Spent the day with some good friends. Great company and conversation, excellent food (BBQ'd Texas brisket & sausages flown up from Austin). Now I'm enjoying a short glass of JEFFERSON'S OCEAN 'Aged At Sea' Voyage 4 bourbon.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Flew into Chicago from North Carolina this morning. There is a BINNY'S liquor store near O'Hare Airport (Oakbrook store) so I stopped in there on my way home.

They had plenty of Jefferson's Ocean Voyage 4, a good bit of I.W.Harper 15 year, 1 bottle of limited edition BOOKERS and quite a few oddities. Picked up 3 bottles. 2 of them are under $50, the last one was over our price point.

Balcones Baby Blue from Waco, TX. Its supposed to be a fairly young bourbon, 3 or 4 years old. Its distilled from Blue Corn. Supposed to be just a bit different than others due to the blue corn used. Not sure if it is true. Review are very mixed. Its a Double Gold medal winner but also is regularly criticized. So I think its one of those where its up to the person drinking it to determine if they like it. ($49.95)

KOVAL Single Barrel from Chicago. Its a young bourbon, aged in mini-barrels (5 gallons each) which is supposed to impart more barrel flavor into the bourbon because there is more borbon in contact with the surface of the barrel. Another bourbon that some love, some hate. Biggest criticism seems to be that it is just too young, yielding a slightly harsh bourbon. ($49.95)

A.D. LAWS Four Grain was $79.95 so its over our price point is from Denver, CO. The bourbon is made a mashbill of corn, wheat, rye and malted barley, all of which (except the corn) come from the Colorado Malting Company (the corn is from Wisconsin). Its aged 3 years and they claim that the aging of the bourbon at the high altitude with the mountain weather patterns is supposed to lend different flavors to the bourbon. Everyone claims something. But it is generally very well reviewed.

image.jpg1_zps15l204zj.jpg

EDIT: Decided to crack open the BALCONES BABY BLUE this evening.

Its a 92 proof, caramel colored drink with the most bizarre aroma for any whiskey I've ever tested.

I've wanted to try the Balcones Baby Blue since it was introduced but its not to be found in my state. Glad I picked it up when I was driving out of the airport because I just cracked open the bottle and this stuff is actually pretty interesting. Very different. The aroma is unlike any whiskey product that I've ever tried. It hits you in the nose with the aroma of fermented soured corn, vanilla and alcohol.

The flavor is almost savory on the front of the mouth that turns into a spice at the back, a mild lingering burn on the finish. Its a bizarre experience, not in a bad way. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I love it or that it is great. I'm saying it is very different. I do like it for what it is. And its actually easy to drink. I'd rate it as "OK" not great, but certainly it is very unusual and that makes it special. Not something I'd pick up daily, but I think it is a good addition to the cabinet.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Tonight I'm having a small bit of the KOVAL Single Barrel bourbon.

This is a bourbon that tastes as if it is barely aged, but done in 5 gallon mini-barrels. The theory behind the mini-barrel is that it exposes more bourbon to the surface area of the barrel than in the traditional 53 gallon barrels. This exposure is supposed to age the bourbon faster. That is the theory. After tasting this bourbon I believe that theory can be safely de-bunked and considered nothing more than a failed theory.

Its a medium amber color with a strong aroma. The aroma of alcohol and vanilla leap out of the bottle, its a strong powerful scent. Let it air out in a glass for a while and it tames the aroma down a bit ... or perhaps your scent receptors are just burned out by the strong aroma and you lose your scence of smell? After sitting in a glass for 10 minutes the aroma is mild and pleasant.

Trying it neat if you like to get assaulted by a harsh, young, corn forward flavored bourbon that is somewhat spicy then this is your bourbon. It just tastes like it needs more time in the warehouse aging in charred oak barrels, as if it is unfinished. The spice hits your tongue and burns on the way down to your belly, its a moderately long finish that is moderately hot but not overwhelmingly hot. The corn flavor fades, the vanilla scent you smell is never tasted or maybe its overwhelmed. I guess I'm saying it could be worse, but it also is not all that good.

I added a bit of water to the remainig KOVAL Single Barrel bourbon that was in the glass and it really tamed down the harshness but the spice remained. This is a 94 proof bourbon so adding the water probably droppd it down to roughly 65 proof? Its much better watered down, the harsh flavor is mellowed and the overwhelming corn is now acceptable. Its still a bit harsh with a spicy burn, the spice in the mouth seems to linger on the finish and the burn continues so that wasn't tamed. But overall its a better bourbon. I could almost like this over ice, if I drank bourbon over ice.

I'm not saying this is the worst bourbon I've had, that distinction goes to Journeyman's. Heck I'd probably choose this over Jim Beam White Label too, but that is because that bourbon (like some other mass market bourbons) lacks body and flavor. But I'm not really saying this is very good bourbon either. Its not. It should probably be relegated to mixed drinks where it is diluted a bit and tamed by other flavors in the mixed cocktail.

My opinons are worth what you paid for them, but if you see KOVAL Single Barrel on the shelf you may want to walk to the opposite side of the aisle so you are not tempted to waste your money on this one. Unless you really like young, corn flavored, harsh bourbons with lots of mouth tingle and moderate burn or you normally water down your bourbon with ice.

Last edited:

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Approximately 12,600 hand-numbered bottles will be available to consumers around the middle of September.
    Four Roses 2015 Limited Edition Small Batch - The Bourbon Review

Yea good luck. I have only seen a handful of cases come through Indiana and its highly allocated. You might be ok if you're in Indy to snag a bottle but very little comes up here.

I was at a wedding in NY/NJ this past weekend and during dessert there was a whiskey bar. Participants consisted of Angels Envy, Basil Hayden, Woodford Double Oaked, High West Double Rye, Blanton's, and Oban 14. Made my way around the table, although I have had most of them before. It was a nice treat post wedding.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Yea good luck. I have only seen a handful of cases come through Indiana and its highly allocated. You might be ok if you're in Indy to snag a bottle but very little comes up here.
    I've got some friends and family in SE IN and Cincinnati, and one buddy in Louisville on the lookout. Hopefully this pans out.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Drinking 3 nights in a row, that is a rarity for me, but I bought 3 new bottles and wanted to try each one.

So far I've had the Koval Single Barrel, which was more than disappointing. Not too bad over ice, but not worth the cost, and clearly proof that the mini-barrel aging concept doesn't work well. There was also the very differnt Balcones Baby Blue, the odd smelling, odd tasting bourbon that is actually pretty interesting. Its also not great, but its worth trying, if for no other reason than to try it out.

Tonight is the A.D. LAWS Four Grain Bourbon which has a better reputation than the others, and a higher price tag on the bottle too. This is a light amber colored bourbon with an aroma of alcohol and not much else.

Take a sip into your mouth and this is a spicy, sharp flavored bourbon, but not harsh and not bad. In fact its pretty darn good if you enjoy spicy flavors. The finish is long and fairly hot, so when you combine the hot finish with the sharp spicy flavorings it is pretty clear that this is not a bourbon for the meek and timid. That does not mean you should be afraid of this bourbon, it just means that its got some boldness to it and you need to like that type of beverage if you are going to drink this neat.

Adding a bit of water to the small amount that was remaining in the glass I brought it up to my nose and was able to detect a much sweeter aroma, which was completely absent before it was slightly diluted.

The water totally tamed down the sharpness and spice of this bourbon. All of a sudden this became a very mild, very tame drink with no traces of the sharpness that could turn off the timid drinker. There was still a long lingering finish but the burn was more of a mellow warmth, like standing a few feet away from a fireplace on a winter day. Its not hot, but it gently warms. Take a bigger sip and you can get some of those peppery spices and a little of the sharpness to return, but its still a lot tamer than when it was neat. If a bit of pepper and sharp spice is your bag then this is your bourbon.

I have to say I very much like this. Its good neat. Its a little better tamed down with a bit of melted ice. Sharp spicy bourbons are not my first choice but this one is good enough to go back for more. Just under $80 a bottle makes A.D. LAWS Four Grain Bourbon hard to go back to very often, but its not a bad choice to add to your premium shelf if you can find it.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Really enjoying this thread. I wonder if we could get a list going in the OP or at least close to page 1 of + and - bourbon's based on collective feedback. I realize that is a lot of work, but might be helpful for building a shopping list next trip to the liquor store.

As much as I love Makers Mark, I've enjoyed trying some different bourbons recently, and credit this thread. Sipping on some Elijah Craig right now and enjoy it. Thinking about buying a few other different bourbon's to keep around. Just need to find a few fellas around here to share with. Seems like most of the folks I hang out with are beer guys (which I like too).

Last edited:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Makers Mark, Makers Mark 46, Makers Mark Cask Strength, Bookers, Elijah Craig, Beer Barrel, Eagle Rare are the ones that come to mind not in order.
    I think most if not all are under $50.

Jeffersons Ocean (I'm sure other Jeffgerson's offerings are in there as well) had high marks - some voyages better than others.

But that list could be off as I've drank a bit since reading most of this thread.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Makers Mark, Makers Mark 46, Makers Mark Cask Strength, Bookers, Elijah Craig, Beer Barrel, Eagle Rare are the ones that come to mind not in order.
    I think most if not all are under $50.

Jeffersons Ocean (I'm sure other Jeffgerson's offerings are in there as well) had high marks - some voyages better than others...

I think your list is pretty accurate.

Bookers is typically just over $50, but not by much.
    Jefferson's Reserve is priced like the Bookers and is typically about $53 to $55.
    Jefferson's Ocean (Voyage 4 is out now, and its good) is $79.95
    Makers Mark CASK STRENGTH is about $35, but that is for a HALF SIZE (375ml) bottle.

All the rest that you mentiond in your post are under $50.

I'd also add Angles Envy to the list of commonly mentioned 'favorites' in this thread, but again that is over the $50 price point. I'm not a fan of it, but Blanton's seems to come up frequently too, but perhaps less than any of the others mentioned.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Had a tough week. Tonight I relax.

Limited edition release of Filibuster Triple Cask Bourbon, triple casked, with the final cask being a sherry finishing and barrel proof.

Just a little water. Just a little. This is strong stuff, but very very good when tamed down with just a few drops.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Cracked my first bottle of Baker's a few hours ago. I may have a nightcap in a minute. I was going to get a Maker's 46 and this was only $4 more so I figured I would give it a whirl.
    I really like it. Very smooth,. Especially after it gets on your pallette. I had one drink neat and another with one ice cube mostly melted. Very good both ways.
    It will be paired with a nice cigar next weekend.
    Thanks INGO! I would have never heard of this without you.

I will have to try some post 777 brands around the holidays.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom