• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    My wife says I have too much bourbon in the house and I should take a bunch of it to the cigar lounge. Hmmmm.....

I think we need to do 5 to 7 bourbons. Only one person knows the order. Last time I did one, Devils Cut with ice beat out Larceny and Makers 46. That was just me and some of my none bourbon addicted friends, but it really made me think,

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I think we need to do 5 to 7 bourbons. Only one person knows the order. Last time I did one, Devils Cut with ice beat out Larceny and Makers 46. That was just me and some of my none bourbon addicted friends, but it really made me think,
    I think 4 to 5 is better. Honestly even at just 1/2 ounce samples that becomes a good amount to drink in a reasonably short time. And if you stretch out the time too much you won't actually be able to judge #1 against #5, #6 or #7 because too much time will have passed. Doing that many too quickly will end up with some serious imparement, unless its like a wine tasting where you spit it out ... and near as I can tell the only bourbon worth spitting out is JOURNEYMAN'S Featherbone Bourbon from Michigan. There are other bad bourbons, but to my taste buds that one is not worthy of drinking. JMO

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I think 4 to 5 is better. Honestly even at just 1/2 ounce samples that becomes a good amount to drink in a reasonably short time. And if you stretch out the time too much you won't actually be able to judge #1 against #5, #6 or #7 because too much time will have passed. Doing that many too quickly will end up with some serious imparement, unless its like a wine tasting where you spit it out ... and near as I can tell the only bourbon worth spitting out is JOURNEYMAN'S Featherbone Bourbon from Michigan. There are other bad bourbons, but to my taste buds that one is not worthy of drinking. JMO

The idea is not to judge #1 against the rest. The idea is to taste them all and judge independently of the rest so that the thoughts of one does not affect another. You write down what you think of it on paper, score it basted on aroma, taste, and finish. It should be about 20 minutes between half oz pours. You are prolly right though, 5 would prolly be better. Some people won't want to be there all day.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Well, this one is over $50, but its some good stuff.

image.jpg1_zpskfmyvrj3.jpg

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Decided to try Larceny this weekend. Was $29.99 at my favorite store. He has a decent selection of bourbons, so gonna keep trying some new ones based on this thread. I almost picked up some 4 Roses but settled on this.

I guess rather than finishing one and trying another, I should try them, and then buy another bottle and gradually build up a nice variety. I guess I am just used to each time the bottle of Makers get close to being empty I just get a new one. :)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Decided to try Larceny this weekend. Was $29.99 at my favorite store. He has a decent selection of bourbons, so gonna keep trying some new ones based on this thread. I almost picked up some 4 Roses but settled on this.
    . . .
    :)

I wouldn't call it "settling" to pick up Larceny.

Larceny is a wheated bourbon, just like Maker's Mark. So the two are reasonably similar. Four Roses, by comparison, will be hotter and spicier than either of these and basically just very different in character.

Some of the most expensive bourbons available are wheated bourbons, if you like them, why change?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I wouldn't call it "settling" to pick up Larceny.

Larceny is a wheated bourbon, just like Maker's Mark. So the two are reasonably similar. Four Roses, by comparison, will be hotter and spicier than either of these and basically just very different in character.

Some of the most expensive bourbons available are wheated bourbons, if you like them, why change?

Yeah, doubt I'll ever completely go away from Maker's Mark for good. Just trying some different things based on what I'm reading here. Its also helping me refine what I really like in bourbon and what I don't. For example I had an old bottle of Jim Beam that was left at our house after a party. I realized that I didn't really like it on the rocks like I would Maker's, Angels Envy, Elijah Craig, and probably now the Larceny.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Pretty good for the price of around $14, of course at minimum ABV. A lot of bourbon you see on the shelves originate from one distillery and are just treated differently once purchased and this is probably one of them.

One of my faves is Buffalo Trace the oldest continuously operating distillery in the United States, distilling even during Prohibition.

yhst-128588312714207_2229_95940062.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Stopped by the local adult beverage purveyor last night on my way home from the fencing club; sadly I could not get into the back office where the good stuff is kept for special customers because the owner was busy. Walked out empty handed. Oh well.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Suggested $60. I'll be keeping an eye out.

"There will only be 1,000 cases available starting in October for about 20 markets which will include New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Kentucky, Nashville, Atlanta, Chicago, Boston, D.C., Charleston and parts of Texas. This new release has a suggested price tag of $60."

New Bourbon Release: Medley's Private Stock - The Bourbon Review

Top Bottom