• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I haven't been able to find any unusual premium bourbons locally for a while but I was the recipient of a wonderful gift of 3 bourbons.

HUDSON FOUR GRAIN BOURBON, this is a 1/2 bottle (375ml) size, runs about $40 for a half bottle. I have a bottle of HUDSON'S BABY BOURBON, which is an all corn bourbon, this one, as the name describes, is made from 4 grains, but still has, by law, 51% corn in the mash bill. HUDSON's seems to be pretty well respected, but I am not a big fan of their BABY BOURBON, I will give them a second chance with the FOUR GRAIN and see how that goes for me, especially since it was a gift. It is technically 'under $50' but its a small bottle :cool:

FILIBUSTER TRIPLE CASK limited edition. Price seems to be about $89, so this one doesn't technically belong in this thread of "under $50 bourbons." Its a limited release, something like 2750-ish bottles. Its also a 'cask strength' bourbon, so it is high alcohol. They age this is for 5 to 6 years in charred American Oak, then further matured for 60-90 days in Pedro Ximenez Sherry (80 percent) and Fino Sherry (20 percent) barrels for additional finishing, before being combined bottled at cask strength (117.47 proof). Oh, and the finishing barrels are only 40 liters in size, so they are very small compared to standard barrels, which supposedly means that the bourbon gets extra contact with the barrel. Might be a gimmick, but many of the Sherry aged bourbons are really good (think Angels Envy).

Bourbon #3 is actually more strange and unusual than the Fillibuster. It is Kings County Barrel Strength Bourbon from New York. About $36 for a mini-200ml bottle, so its actually expensive because the bottle tiny size, but it is under $50 per bottle, even if the bottle is REALLY SMALL :rolleyes: Another 'cask strength' high alcohol bourbon. I know very little about it, but it is a 122 proof, 70% organic corn & 30% barley mash bourbon from the oldest distillery in NY state. It is aged in mini barrels that only hold 5 gallons each and they are exposed to the sunlight to heat them up. Its just an odd process all the way through and I'm looking forward to trying it soon.

Not sure when I will crack any of the seals on these bottles but I will keep you informed.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Just got home from taking my wife and daughter to the mall to buy college clothes for the upcominng fall semester.

Spent waaaaaaaay to much and bought waaaaaaay to little.

Tonight I need a premium, but still modest price, bourbon. FEW Bourbon. Its hard to find. Made in Evanston, IL. It is really good juice. Price is right about $50 and, while hard to find, the distribution is getting better for this little boutique brand. Its bold, its spicy, but its also pretty smooth and has a really nice finish. My bottle, which I got as a gift last year, is autographed by the distiller. I should drink this stuff more often, its good.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Just got home from taking my wife and daughter to the mall to buy college clothes for the upcominng fall semester.

Spent waaaaaaaay to much and bought waaaaaaay to little.

Tonight I need a premium, but still modest price, bourbon. FEW Bourbon. Its hard to find. Made in Evanston, IL. It is really good juice. Price is right about $50 and, while hard to find, the distribution is getting better for this little boutique brand. Its bold, its spicy, but its also pretty smooth and has a really nice finish. My bottle, which I got as a gift last year, is autographed by the distiller. I should drink this stuff more often, its good.

its distributed in Indiana now. The rye is supposed to be the gem, but the bourbon a close second. Still need to try the barrel aged gin.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OK this is going to be hard.

Probably one of the toughest decisions of my life.

What bourbon goes with FISH?

SyFy Channel has SHARKNADO coming on in less than 1 hour and I need to celebrate that movie with something special.

image.jpg2_zpscomwcqx7.jpg

image.jpg1_zpscnfcxe1s.jpg

Boy I wish I lived closer. I'd love to sample some of those. I was stuck sipping on Makers again tonight. ..

Well I'm a Makers Mark Ambassador and I got to tell you I don't mind being 'stuck' with Makers!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    OK this is going to be hard.

Probably one of the toughest decisions of my life.

What bourbon goes with FISH?

SyFy Channel has SHARKNADO coming on in less than 1 hour and I need to celebrate that movie with something special.

image.jpg2_zpscomwcqx7.jpg

image.jpg1_zpscnfcxe1s.jpg

Well I'm a Makers Mark Ambassador and I got to tell you I don't mind being 'stuck' with Makers!

Yep, that is never a bad thing is it? :)

Of the three you've shown I'd pick the King's County. Has that look to it like it might be what you'd find in an old barn that got blown down by a Sharknado!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I should have gone for the cheap stuff that I normally reserve for mother-in-laws and other undesired visitors.

I cracked open the seal of the Filibuster Triple Casked bourbon. It was a bad choice. I had been eating BBQ ribs that the lovely MelensMom had slow cooked on the grill and the flavor of the BBQ lingered in my mouth and overwhelmed the bourbon's flavors. The movie didn't help. I didn't recall SHARKNADO being that bad of a movie.

Tonight is the premier of SHARKNADO 3, Oh Hell No and I will try again, maybe I can make it all the way through tonight's movie? In any case, I will sip the bourbon AFTER a reasonable palate cleansing so I can taste the flavors, smell the aromas and enjoy the bourbon.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I'm trying Buffalo Trace for the first time. While it's lacking in the complexity of some of my other favorites, it's reasonably smooth and pleasant. Good buy for the price. I'll likely keep some around for non-special visitors.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SHARKNADO 3, Oh Hell No is on now, lots of stars making cameo appearances in this one. It promises to be as bad as can be expected, in a good way.

In tonight's glass is another short pour of the same limited edition Filibuster Triple Cask bourbon. Tonight I have a clean palate giving this bourbon a fair trail.

The color is a rich golden brown and the aroma hits you with a really nice dose of vanilla or perhaps butterscotch up front. You pick up alcohol only after you pick up the sweetness of vanilla/butterscotch aroma. This is a CASK STRENGTH bourbon, my bottle is from "Batch 3" which had only 605 total bottles and is bottled at 117.47 proof. There were only a total of just about 2750 bottles produced from all the batches, so I suspect there were 5 total batches.

The first sip proves this to be a hot drink. There is all sorts of mouth tingle, it hits your inner lips as well as your tongue and the finish after it goes down is just a long slow burn that is a bit to hot. Not quite the smooth drink I was hoping for. The peppery tingle in the mouth is fairly mild until after the bourbon is washed down, that is when it picks up with a spicy tingle that lingers, but you spend more time concentrating on the burn in the belly which is like a self induced heartburn.

Its too bad because for the brief moment when you can actually taste this burbon (before the spicy tingle and burn set in and overwhelm your senses) it has some serious potential to be good. I really like some of the bourbons that are aged in sherry casks, but for $35 the Jim Beam Signature Craft Sherry Cask aged is a better buy than this limited edition Filibuster, at least when sipped neat. But the Jim Beam is NOT a "cask strength" bourbon, is a traditional 80 proof bourbon so its probably not a fair comparison. This Filibuster is one of the very few 'sherry cask' aged "cask strength" bourbons on the market, the only other one I know of is the limited edition Angels Envy Cask Strength, and I've never seen one of those bottles in any store. So it is probably not fair to compare the Beam to the Filibuster, at least not without watering down the Filibuster.

I dropped in a single ice cube and let it melt down a little bit to see if this can be tamed down so the flavors can be brought forward and the burn pushed to the back. Only SLIGHTLY melted and all of a sudden this is a much improved bourbon. The mouth tingle and harsh spice is tamed. The sherry cask flavors start to come forward, but there is still plenty of burn in the belly that lingers in the finish. A bit more melting of the ice and the flavor of vanilla seems to be coming forward, there is also some hints of the sherry cask coming forward and the burn is starting to be tamed down. The single ice cube is now 1/2 melted and I'm really starting to like this Filibuster Triple Cask bourbon. The flavors are sharper, the tingle is gone, the burn is there only as a hint of a memory of what it once was. I like the complexity of the flavors too. The sweetness of the sherry, the vanilla and butterscotch, the light hints of spice without the tingling or burn.

I'd have to say that this is a bourbon that you can't reasonably drink neat. This is just not a pleasant bourbon to drink without watering it down a bit. At 117.47 proof, this is too hot to drink neat. But its hard to drink my favorite BOOKERS neat, and it is impossible for me to drink George T Stagg neat, so that is not a condemnation of this limited edition Filibuster to say it is not wise to drink it neat. And adding a cube of ice waters it down, bringing the proof down to someting closer to the standard 80 Proof at which most traditional bourbons are bottled, so you can water it down and still have a full proof bourbon, which might actually stretch the value of this bourbon.

VERDICT: If you demand to drink your bourbon neat then pass on the limited edition cask strength Filibuster Triple Cask bourbon. If you don't mind taming it down with a little bit of water or a single cube of ice, and if you can find one of the roughly 2750 bottles of this stuff that were ever produced, then its worth the roughly $80 for the sherry cask flavor profile in this cask strength bourbon.

I'm trying Buffalo Trace for the first time. While it's lacking in the complexity of some of my other favorites, it's reasonably smooth and pleasant. Good buy for the price. I'll likely keep some around for non-special visitors.

Nothing wrong with Buffalo Trace. I prefer Makers Mark, but BT is pretty good stuff.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I am a big fan of 1792 Ridgemont Reserve.

... But you can't go wrong with TWO bottles of good 'ol Jack Daniels :D
    We have done comparison testing with the 1792 Ridgemont Reserve at the cigar lounge. Nobody ever dislikes it. But when compared to just about anything else from Beer Barrel to Gentleman Jack, the Ridgemont seems to take the back seat. People who liked it before the taste comparisons still liked it after the comparisons, BUT no longer considered it their favorite spirit. Its easy to drink, generally smooth but I think it falls into that category of 'unremarkable' bourbons. For the price (under $30) I think its a good bourbon. But there are other good bourbons under $30 and Makers Mark, Larceny and Buffalo Trace come to mind as 3 that probably ar worthy of comparison with th Ridgemont. Makers would be my personal favorite, but we each have our own taste preferences. If Ridgemont Reserve trips your trigger then go for it. I'm looking forward to their upcoming release of their WHEAT bourbon, which should be making its way into stores soon.

Jack Daniels screams and shouts that their products are "Tennessee Whiskey" and not BOURBON. But by any legal definition of bourbon, Jack Daniels, Gentleman Jack, Jack Daniels Single Barrel, etc are all BOURBON, despite their protests. They claim, as do the folks at the George Dickle distillery, that their filtering process makes their products unique and makes them the special "Tennessee Whiskey." Yeah, sure, whatever . It is clear these 2 companies doth protest too much :rolleyes:

jmpupillo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    NWI
    Is agree Gentleman Jack is amazing. I would also highly recommend Makers Mark 46 and Willet Single Barrel Reserve.

I have been to both distilleries, and they are top notch. For bourbons under $50, you can't go wrong with any of the above.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I don't normally drink 2 nights in a row, but I've got 3 new bottles of bourbon to try! Tried the Filibuster and liked it. Tonight I poured about 2 ounces of HUDSON'S FOUR GRAIN BOURBON into a small glass. Drank more than half of it before I realized I was supposed to be taste testing it. So I poured a bit more so I had about an ounce in the glass.

First off, the color of this bourbon is a nice amber/brown. The aroma is definitely butterscotch. Its a 92 proof (46% alcohol) which is a bit more than the standard 80 proof that characterizes most brands of bourbon, but its not a hot bourbon in any way.

On the tip of the tongue its fairly sweet, but it becomes a bit aserbic and off flavored at the back of the tongue. Overall its a really nice flavor profile even if a bit off if you let it sit in the rear of your mouth. The finish is a mild warmth, not really a burn, and that warmth lingers for a good bit. There is no mouth tingle. There is no hint of spice either. This is a really mild mannered bourbon. Its easy to drink and it tastes good as long as you don't let it sit too long in the rear of your mouth. I hate to really harp on that point because this is a nice drinking juice, interesting in a lot of ways.

Honestly no need to drop and ice cube in this one. I know I do that for a lot of my reviews but I don't see the point since this is such an easy drinking bourbon. My biggest complaint is that this is expensive, its sold by the HALF BOTTLE (375ml) and runs about $42. That makes it an $84 bottle. For $84 I can find other bourbons I enjoy this much, or more. I do enjoy this one, I just don't know that its worth the price tag. Glad I bought it, I was not as happy with the same brand's BABY BOURBON, but this FOUR GRAIN is actually a nice drink.

Just picked this up on sale for $44, looking forward to trying it out.
    That is an amazing price for BOOKERS.

And BOOKERS is one of my very favorite bourbons. Big bold flavors. It is the cask strength bourbon by which I judge all others and most are not as good, or not enough better to warrent higher prices. Be ready to tame it with an ice cube.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That is an amazing price for BOOKERS.

And BOOKERS is one of my very favorite bourbons. Big bold flavors. It is the cask strength bourbon by which I judge all others and most are not as good, or not enough better to warrent higher prices. Be ready to tame it with an ice cube.

It's a new release or something. The box is darker and it has a label on the front with a dog on it. The gentleman working at the store said there were three variations but he wasn't sure if they were all available now or if they were releasing them at separate times. I'll get it open this weekend. I also picked up a 1.75L bottle of Elijah Craig and another bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed, those two seem to disappear very quickly for some reason.

Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    Knob Creek, Elijah Craig, Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace and Bulliet are my favorites so far.

I don't care much at all for Maker's Mark or Maker's 46. Not a big fan of Rye whiskey either, too much fire in it, too much burn for me to enjoy. I like the smoother, sweeter feel of bourbon. I think it also makes for better mixed drinks as well. mint Juleps and Old Fashions come to mind!

learning to appreciate these great tasting albeit lower end whiskeys has even opened my comfort zone to give gin another try. I found I still can't stand the cheap gin but did enjoy the hell out of Hendrick's Gin in a Gimlet and a drink called a Hendrick's Orleans which tasted pretty much like lemonade. Now I am sipping on gin, soda water and muddled lemon drinks regularly. Well one or two a month for me is "regularly".

Top Bottom