• ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Here's MY way of thinking.

For a "battle" rifle that's only $500, is NOT something I'd depend on with my life.

For $500, buy a Glock.

OR, save your $500, and wait a few more weeks and save more money. I think you'd be happier if you did that in the long run.

But, again, that's just MY way of thinking.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Here's MY way of thinking.

For a "battle" rifle that's only $500, is NOT something I'd depend on with my life.

For $500, buy a Glock.

OR, save your $500, and wait a few more weeks and save more money. I think you'd be happier if you did that in the long run.

But, again, that's just MY way of thinking.

well i have a Glock haha so thats covered but i was looking for a rifle. and i know i could save and get something alot nicer, but right now and in the near future it is just not worth it for me to do that. i don't get the chance to shoot enough to warrant a $700+gun and ammo for it. it's just not financially worth it for me. i might as well just put $800 cash in my gun safe since it would be no different at this point in time. sorry if this comes off as snippy, it is by no means supposed to be. ;)

i think as it stands right now an SKS is undoubtedly the best value for my criteria. and i really only said "battle" to help convey the type of rifle i was looking for. I am not going to be fighting with this rifle unless TEOTWAWKI happens, in which case if i didn't have a "battle" rifle i would use what i already have anyway.

Last edited:

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    SKS's are great guns, but an SKS is not an AK. The AK gas piston is much simpler, and easier to clean, strip, etc. than the SKS system.

I also have found that some of the SKS's are picky about extended mags. They were meant to be run with the 10 round built in mag well and loaded with stripper clips.

I'd go AK for the price and functionality that you're looking for.

My :twocents:...

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    +1 You could build an AR with only the essentials. Wont be the top quality of parts but definitely a functional rifle. You could always upgrade it to higher quality parts as time goes on and money allows.
    Doubles as a wiffle bat!

Get an AK. Affordable, dependable, lots of accessories, affordable mags and ammo.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Like others have said you can get into a basic but still functional AR for around that price and have the option to up upgrade parts at a later time if you wish. I also have a wasr that I got for under $400 before the price went up. They can still be found for around $389 when you look for them. My wasr has been 100% reliable since I took it from the box and very accurate.

Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

Last edited:

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I love all of my sks rifles. The problem is the 10 round magazine. If you want to put in extended magazines, they have the annoying duckbill that takes up space in your magazine pouches. There is an adapter that is made that allows you to use tapco 20 sks magazines. It is an awesome upgrade. But it does require you to make/purchase specific magazines and does require fitting to the stock.

Home - TheSKSmagAdapter

I have this on one sks and have not had any problems. It is a pretty cool upgrade that looks stock and is way less mall ninja.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    SKS's aren't overall as reliable as the AK either....they replaced the SKS for reasons...and no more than the price difference, the AK is more worth the additional $50 or so............the only reason the WASR's have gotten a bad name is in their method of production....(i.e. spot welds in the receiver and milled out for hi-cap mags)...while in all reality this will be of little concern as far as its effectiveness/reliability if you're buying a new hi cap...and chances are you're not going to be able to break a spot weld inside the receiver for example.....the other problem comes from the older single stacks which someone opened up the mag well themselves, which obviously wasn't accurately done and causes other issues........so if you're buying it new you won't have to worry so much about these problems and you'll get a rifle that's much more reliable/effective for the money

I like SKS's too but they simply are not worth the price tags which people have been putting on them over the last couple of years......in a "combat" type situation the mag is harder to change just to name one issue with them....plus no where near the number of accessories, add-ons, options that you get with the AK

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    what would be a good lower to fit this kit? if possible keeping the entire build at around $600. also what is the difference between a stripped lower and a lower?

I'm an AR noob but have always wanted one, and if building a $600 AR would end up being that much better i could comfortably foot the extra $100 or so.

Top Bottom