• ...and so much more!
  • OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Is palmetto state armory have an ffl? their sore says they have a new storefront, which to me means they have to have an ffl since they sell guns out of it, or atleast thats what the description and pictures lead me to believe.
    the reason I ask is because cabelas said they would receive a stripped lower, and they would exchange ffl info with the shipper, which sounds like they expect ffl to ffl, and I didn't think at the time to ask of they except from non ffl.

So does anyone know if palmetto state holds one?

Thanks for all the help thus far

Yes, they have to have one to be selling guns/receivers

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I believe they have to....either way...you're gonna have to call again to place your order, so simply verify it with them when you call back before you make the actual purchase

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    As far as the transfer goes, to me it is common courtesy to ok it with the FFL holder prior to placing the order.
    These days some shops are getting more particular on what transfers they will do for customers, especially if it is something they can order for you themselves from one of their distributors.

Personally, I wouldn't go to a shop which refuses to transfer something simply because "they can order it for you"...because that defeats the purpose of shopping online.....I can get better prices ordering online, shipping, and transferring than what the dealer sticks on them....so I would simply go to a different FFL if that's the way they wanted to be.....they're still gonna make a few bucks on the transfer anyhow

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Alright awesome. So there shouldn't be any problems going through cabelas then. I just have to get all the info and tell my parents since they've been bugging for a x-mas list I figured alright since I'm not 21 till June I'll just ask for the lower for X-mas and build the rest with my own funding. So by x-mas I should have a perdy new AR :D

Elkrock777

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Hey if you can find a used mini 14 I think you would be very happy. They are light weight, shoots .223 and a good selection of aftermarket goodies:)

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Stay away from an AR! Once you have one you find yourself needing a second one. Then a third... and next thing you know your safe is full and your debating buying another safe so that you can add thats 24" varmin configuration...

God help you when you start SBRing the things...

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    that's kind of what i was thinkning seeing as i can get an SKS for 289+transfer and fit it with 30rnd. mags. it would basically be the same thing for alot less.

LOL, have you fired an SKS and an AK. IMHO there is no comparison. The AK wins hands down. The SKS is big and clunky with a lot more felt recoil. Any of my AK's will shoot circles around the SKS's I have had. Granted, I have only had a Russian and Yugo SKS.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    And wow, if you want a cheap battle rifle, the AK is the best choice in your price range. Spend the $400 on the rifle and your other $200 learning how to shoot it. If you get an AR, you will have a more complicated rifle with probably better accuracy at 300 yards with no training.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    LOL, have you fired an SKS and an AK. IMHO there is no comparison. The AK wins hands down. The SKS is big and clunky with a lot more felt recoil. Any of my AK's will shoot circles around the SKS's I have had. Granted, I have only had a Russian and Yugo SKS.

disagree with everything in this post. :laugh:

my SKS is far more accurate than my WASR with less perceived recoil. it has a better trigger and a better cheek weld as well. and as for clunky, well the metal AK mags arent small or light. the SKS also has a better designed safety and a bolt catch.

the AK only wins in the capacity category imo.

maybe non-WASR AKs are better. :dunno::laugh:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland

umm actually I thought the sks was one of the smoothest firing rifles I've ever shot. I have never fired an AK but I'm not fond of how they shoulder. I don't like the angle of the stock. I'm sure the action is just as smooth or smoother than the sks but the sks is far more comfortable IMO. but I'm sticking with the AR. I've already got funding planned out.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    umm actually I thought the sks was one of the smoothest firing rifles I've ever shot. I have never fired an AK but I'm not fond of how they shoulder. I don't like the angle of the stock. I'm sure the action is just as smooth or smoother than the sks but the sks is far more comfortable IMO. but I'm sticking with the AR. I've already got funding planned out.
    I've never fired an SKS, but I've got an AR and recently got an AK... I don't know what to say... I like 'em both for different reasons. The AR (and mine is pretty basic, but made to milspec), is probably more accurate out to a longer range, but the AK definitely seems to pack more umph. I think both would kill a zombie... ;):ar15:

My current favorite right now though is my T53... old, clunky, slow :fogey:, but powerful. :D

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    What about one of these?

M10-762 Semi-Auto AK Style Rifle 7.62x39 $499.00 SHIPS FREE

M10 imported by M+M:

%3Ciframe%20title%20=%22Preview%22%20scrolling=%22no%22%20marginheight=%220%22%20marginwidth=%220%22%20frameborder=%220%22%20style=%22width:320px;height:88px;padding:0;background-color:
    M10-762.jpg

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The Saiga would be my recommendation too. They sell new for about the price of a good SKS and right out of the box are similar in feel to an SKS with the aft trigger placement and sporter style stock. Then, when time or money allows, spend a evening making it what you want it to be. The choices are almost unlimited. When all is done, you will have a very high quality AK built to exactly what you want it to be for less than the cost of a middle grade AK. The conversion is well documented and easy to do in an evening.

Here's the before and after shots of my conversion:
    picture.php

picture.php

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    well i have a Glock haha so thats covered but i was looking for a rifle. and i know i could save and get something alot nicer, but right now and in the near future it is just not worth it for me to do that. i don't get the chance to shoot enough to warrant a $700+gun and ammo for it. it's just not financially worth it for me. i might as well just put $800 cash in my gun safe since it would be no different at this point in time. sorry if this comes off as snippy, it is by no means supposed to be. ;)

i think as it stands right now an SKS is undoubtedly the best value for my criteria. and i really only said "battle" to help convey the type of rifle i was looking for. I am not going to be fighting with this rifle unless TEOTWAWKI happens, in which case if i didn't have a "battle" rifle i would use what i already have anyway.

The logic of not spending a bit extra for a reliable battle rifle because you won't shoot it much is not really making sense to me. It makes sense for a plinking rifle but as some have mentioned, presumably your life may depend on it. I'd save up another few months and buy once cry once.

Top Bottom