• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I have two AR's, one being an Palmetto upper and lower that I built 2 weeks ago, but if the SHTF, I'd grab the WASR first. I've had it for about 4 years, shot tons of rounds thru it, and it never malfunctions, even with hardly ever cleaning it.

I would think it should be pretty easy to get one for around $400 so that leaves $100 for a half a case of ammo.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    on the other hand..if you're really purchasing for a potential "combat" situation....the thing for me is ease of use

if you're in a fire fight and exposed (no close cover) with the AR platform you can keep the weapon in your shoulder and sighted in at your target while you change to a full mag with your other hand.....while an AK platform (and most others) you have to remove the weapon from you shoulder and use both hands to reload a fresh mag....something which is a big factor IMO................an AK is a great weapon for SHTF but it's more the, "hey my buddy just joined us and doesn't have a gun....here take this one"...type of gun...also, in the instance you come across the 7.62 ammo you have something that will shoot it too......otherwise, the AR platform is more versatile, accurate, and practical for "combat" situations IMO

Last edited:

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    ammo is cheaper, rifle is cheaper........if you're properly cleaning ALL necessary parts of an AK..you're cleaning just as much crud out, it's just spread out over more parts/larger surface area.............

the other two are just relative to an individuals opinion and your own experience with the weapon...my wife is the exact opposite, while she likes the AK...she simply prefers the AR....and I personally think they are more controlable under rapid fire.............BUT again, ammo is considerably cheaper.[/QUOTE]

Yes I know half of what I said is my opinion. I thought thats what the OP was looking for. I may be biased because my ar barrel was shorter than my ak. Plus the extra weight of the ak helps control it too. Im not a small guy but the ar muzzle rise was way more than the ak. I sold the ar to a buddy who got a 100 round drum for it. I shot it with the drum and it was way better for me. Guess I dont mind carrying the extra weight if it means I shoot better.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    okay. i think you guys convinced me. i was unaware you could build a quality AR for under $700.

as far as tranfers go though do you have to set it up before you order or does it not matter? i am just trying to think timeline wise now, because i could order a lower this weekend depending on how the transfers work. i am probably going to use cabelas seeing it is a 5-10 mintue drive from my house.

Make sure they'll receive it for you first. Some places are weird about that stuff

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Yes I know half of what I said is my opinion. I thought thats what the OP was looking for. I may be biased because my ar barrel was shorter than my ak. Plus the extra weight of the ak helps control it too. Im not a small guy but the ar muzzle rise was way more than the ak. I sold the ar to a buddy who got a 100 round drum for it. I shot it with the drum and it was way better for me. Guess I dont mind carrying the extra weight if it means I shoot better.

True....but also in a SHTF scenario.....how long are you going to have to carry around that extra weight?....ammo weighs slightly more too....so do steel mags, although yes you can get polymer ones but for mags on a military weapon I'm content with cheap, expendable ones cuz I don't want to be afraid to beat it up when I train

also, I meant not to target your opinions as false or anything...just merely pointing things out for the OP to be able to make the best decision for himself

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Make sure they'll receive it for you first. Some places are weird about that stuff

This is true....why I said to check with the FFL first....some will not accept mailed purchases except from another FFL...and other various weird rules which I see no point in personally...but it's their business I guess

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Not to muddy the waters any but....
    I just got my Palmetto upper today in mail.
    My wife is assembling the lower tonight to learn how it goes together. My wife has shot an AK, AR in 7.62x39, and AR in 5.56. She prefers the 5.56 and actually claims it is more fun to shoot.
    Ammunition is purely an "economy of scale." Buy enough ammo and everything equals out.
    I had $400 in my AK, $1000 in my AR in 7.62x39 and just over $650 in my 5.56. You can spend as much or as little as you want.
    BTW, to the person that posted the classic arms link.....you are gonna make me spend more money!
    To the OP if I can help with an opinion or two let me know.
    The Palmetto upper took 2 weeks from the day I ordered it to arrive....In case you are wondering.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    True....but also in a SHTF scenario.....how long are you going to have to carry around that extra weight?....ammo weighs slightly more too....so do steel mags, although yes you can get polymer ones but for mags on a military weapon I'm content with cheap, expendable ones cuz I don't want to be afraid to beat it up when I train

also, I meant not to target your opinions as false or anything...just merely pointing things out for the OP to be able to make the best decision for himself

I have just started with the ak. came with 2 steel mags and I picked up 2 tapco mags while I was there. I understand what youre saying. Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one. While I dont think the shtf senario will happen relatively soon, Im just starting to prepare!:D

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I have just started with the ak. came with 2 steel mags and I picked up 2 tapco mags while I was there. I understand what youre saying. Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one. While I dont think the shtf senario will happen relatively soon, Im just starting to prepare!:D

Absolutely. I also value the idea that for a real SHTF scenario, one should have a weapon for each of the most popular/available calibers....which definitely puts AK on the list of must have and so an excellent choice on a budget....but when an extra $200 is reasonable AR is another must have....its my default weapon for almost any situation

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Gotta get pedantic for a moment, please forgive me. The term "battle rifle" refers specifically to a rifle made for combat, firing a full-powered rifle cartridge (30-06, 7.92x57, 7.62x54R) in a bolt-action or semi auto. Just as the term "assault rifle" refers to a select fire (safe/semi/burst or full) rifle in carbine length firing a medium powered (5.56x45, 5.45x39, 7.62x39, 7.92x33) cartridges, and with its boreline in line with the point of contact on the shoulder, pistol grip, etc.

The SKS fires the same 7.62x39 as the AK47. There is a removeable 30rd magazine available with a modification, or you can just seat a stripper in the notch and reload instantly. The WASR is a Romanian rifle, basically assembled from parts of various provenance, recovered, remanufactured, spare, new, whatever. They may not be imported with the capability of accepting a normal capacity magazine, and must be upgraded to such with a certain percentage of US parts for section 922r compliance. Stoopid government.

I have an AK47 from before all this nonsense, as well as an SKS, but in support and in supply I'd go with the AR. I have some 80% lowers I'm fixing to complete.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Gotta get pedantic for a moment, please forgive me. The term "battle rifle" refers specifically to a rifle made for combat, firing a full-powered rifle cartridge (30-06, 7.92x57, 7.62x54R) in a bolt-action or semi auto. Just as the term "assault rifle" refers to a select fire (safe/semi/burst or full) rifle in carbine length firing a medium powered (5.56x45, 5.45x39, 7.62x39, 7.92x33) cartridges, and with its boreline in line with the point of contact on the shoulder, pistol grip, etc.

you knew what i was talking about though didn't you? :D

i'm not going to combat against anyone it was just a term for understanding.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Well luckily X-mas is on the way.......AR lower...on the list :D

That keeps it at a tad bit over $500. Perfect! thanks everyone for introducing me into the AR realm since i was unaware they could be built that cheap. :ingo:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    the PSA's offer great price on true military grade kits.....1/7 twist, chrome lined....hard to find at a better price than they have.....you can find the 1/9 for a slight bit cheaper...but not often the 1/7

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    okay. i think you guys convinced me. i was unaware you could build a quality AR for under $700.

as far as tranfers go though do you have to set it up before you order or does it not matter? i am just trying to think timeline wise now, because i could order a lower this weekend depending on how the transfers work. i am probably going to use cabelas seeing it is a 5-10 mintue drive from my house.

I was just in your same situation a few months ago. Started doing some research on AR prices and was surprised to see I could actually get into one for a decent price. Very happy now!!! :D Broke my new baby in just last weekend and am in love! I still love my AK, but now I am glad to have an AR as well. It's okay they get along just fine in the safe.

As far as the transfer goes, to me it is common courtesy to ok it with the FFL holder prior to placing the order.
    These days some shops are getting more particular on what transfers they will do for customers, especially if it is something they can order for you themselves from one of their distributors.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    okay so i realize this is probably a pretty narrow question but has anyone in my area ever transferred a stripped lower through the cabelas in hammond? i'm goin to call around obviously, but since we're on the subject i figured i'd ask. if not cabelas is there any other preferred place anyone has used in NWI?

again probably no answer since idk how many people around me have built ARs, but it never hurts to ask before my own research :ingo:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Is palmetto state armory have an ffl? their sore says they have a new storefront, which to me means they have to have an ffl since they sell guns out of it, or atleast thats what the description and pictures lead me to believe.
    the reason I ask is because cabelas said they would receive a stripped lower, and they would exchange ffl info with the shipper, which sounds like they expect ffl to ffl, and I didn't think at the time to ask of they except from non ffl.

So does anyone know if palmetto state holds one?

Thanks for all the help thus far

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    elijaharchiive
    Top Bottom