• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    what would be a good lower to fit this kit? if possible keeping the entire build at around $600. also what is the difference between a stripped lower and a lower?

I'm an AR noob but have always wanted one, and if building a $600 AR would end up being that much better i could comfortably foot the extra $100 or so.

the stripped lower is just the lower "frame" housing...with no internal parts such as a trigger, but it's where those parts (lower parts kit) go......if they don't specify stripped it's anybody's guess as to what it actually is they offer....in reference to kits such as these which say "complete rifle kit except lower, then it is everything you need but the stripped lower......

the same company has a good price on their lowers usually.....unless you want to pay too much for brand name you can easily find lowers for $100 tops...i've payed less but it's not as common

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    you can build a quality AR for about $600...and in a combat situation they are FAR superior....ask any Marine/soldier who's been exposed to enemy fire and had to perform a fast mag change with no cover....in any case, they are definitely worth the extra $100.....BUT your ammo is going to cost you more as well, buy in bulk and you can usually get a better price per round and it lasts longer as well

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    you can build a quality AR for about $600...and in a combat situation they are FAR superior....ask any Marine/soldier who's been exposed to enemy fire and had to perform a fast mag change with no cover....in any case, they are definitely worth the extra $100.....BUT your ammo is going to cost you more as well, buy in bulk and you can usually get a better price per round and it lasts longer as well

another noob question, the site says that it is chambered for 5.56 NATO, now I know .223 and 5.56 are interchangeable in certain situations, i am just not familiar what those sitautions are. would this one fire .223 without any problems?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    yes....you can fire either one out of a 5.56mm barrel...but be weary about firing 5.56mm out of a 223 barrel......5.56 is the way to go

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I will also add that since you said this will also be a SHTF rifle that the caliber should be considered as well. This is the main reason I recently joined the AR club. I love my AK and fully trust it, but if the S ever truely HTF on our shores the 5.56/.223 round will be much more readily available than the 7.62x39. If I am staying in, sure I would probably grab the AK, but if I have to move the AR will see action. Lighter rifle, lighter ammo, rifle parts are everywhere, and ammo is everywhere. Just my :twocents:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    The Palmetto Lowers are $80 and with shipping and transfer you'd be a touch over 600, but not a lot.

zx6rman96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    try bradis guns , they have some Olympic Arms ar15's. I know they are over 500, but i wanna say i got mine for 579 a few years back, could been 679, hell i forget

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    from a manuacturing standpoint...the lowers mostly come from the same forgery(ies)...and so made from the same crap....the company simply stamps their name and finish on it after drilling a few holes and claims it as their own.....they're known as 80%'ers......the biggest difference in quality that you will notice is in the finish....some can be easily scratched.....go for mil-spec and they should hold up a little better......the PSA lower seems to be much more like the m16/m4's I ever had in terms of their finish

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    also, you will hear a LOT of arguers about "quality" of the parts...in terms of the lowers it's not much of a concern for information I placed in my last post (although some will tell you otherwise)....I work in engineering/manufacturing and am well versed in GMP's (general manufacturing practices or "good" manufacturing practices depending on who you talk to)...take it for whatever you want...I can assure you that most lowers are of the same quality except for their finish.....I'm in the process of testing and documenting various manufacturers product to prove this for skeptics and will post results here for all to see when I'm done

Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Much as I would love to have a black rifle some day, I gotta think at your price point the AK is the way to go. I picked up my Norinco milled receiver Chicom version for right at $400.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    okay. i think you guys convinced me. i was unaware you could build a quality AR for under $700.

as far as tranfers go though do you have to set it up before you order or does it not matter? i am just trying to think timeline wise now, because i could order a lower this weekend depending on how the transfers work. i am probably going to use cabelas seeing it is a 5-10 mintue drive from my house.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I sold my ar and bought an ak. Here is my reasoning:

1 the ammo is half the cost
    2 the rifle is half the cost
    3 ak is cleaner after firing
    4 my WIFE LIKES THE AK BETTER THAN THE AR!
    5 for me the ak is easier to keep on target when rapid firing

I bought the ak out the door for less than $500 at the last 1500. It alrerady had a 5 position stock on it and I changed out the foregrip with a cheap tapco two rail and put a vpg up front. Total I have about $580 into a high cap rifle that my wife likes!

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Oh yeah, and that doesnt mean that I wont buy another ar in the future, just for me, right now, the ak is a much better option. I probably will buy another ak (for the wife) first!

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    okay. i think you guys convinced me. i was unaware you could build a quality AR for under $700.

as far as tranfers go though do you have to set it up before you order or does it not matter? i am just trying to think timeline wise now, because i could order a lower this weekend depending on how the transfers work. i am probably going to use cabelas seeing it is a 5-10 mintue drive from my house.

you simply contact the seller (at time of purchase)with contact information for your FFL transfer dealer...they will contact them for their information and FFL verification and send your product...you simply pick it up when it arrives and fill out the paperwork........of course, contact your FFL to make sure this process is how they do things before you go through with the purchase, but most are generally the same

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I sold my ar and bought an ak. Here is my reasoning:

1 the ammo is half the cost
    2 the rifle is half the cost
    3 ak is cleaner after firing
    4 my WIFE LIKES THE AK BETTER THAN THE AR!
    5 for me the ak is easier to keep on target when rapid firing

QUOTE]

ammo is cheaper, rifle is cheaper........if you're properly cleaning ALL necessary parts of an AK..you're cleaning just as much crud out, it's just spread out over more parts/larger surface area.............

the other two are just relative to an individuals opinion and your own experience with the weapon...my wife is the exact opposite, while she likes the AK...she simply prefers the AR....and I personally think they are more controlable under rapid fire.............BUT again, ammo is considerably cheaper.

Top Bottom