• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Why didn't you and your buddy carry like that all the time?

Well, we were in our early teens, and riding a bicycle with two long arms was awkward? :dunno: But that wasn't my point. You said it didn't reflect well on the nation and its citizens. Obviously nobody around here felt that way, or at least not strongly enough to do anything about it. Maybe folks back then figured we were just going shooting, but why would they make that assumption back then, but assume we were up to something nefarious today? If the action hasn't changed, then obviously the change had to have been one of perception. Why did the perception change, and what precipitated that change? Not trying to be argumentative, just asking an honest question.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well, we were in our early teens, and riding a bicycle with two long arms was awkward? :dunno: But that wasn't my point. You said it didn't reflect well on the nation and its citizens. Obviously nobody around here felt that way, or at least not strongly enough to do anything about it. Maybe folks back then figured we were just going shooting, but why would they make that assumption back then, but assume we were up to something nefarious today? If the action hasn't changed, then obviously the change had to have been one of perception. Why did the perception change, and what precipitated that change? Not trying to be argumentative, just asking an honest question.

Then maybe I'll roll back a bit. The carrying of a long gun, strapped to your chest or back, in most cases (ie doing everyday tasks) shouldn't be the picture we want to paint of America.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Then maybe I'll roll back a bit. The carrying of a long gun, strapped to your chest or back, in most cases (ie doing everyday tasks) shouldn't be the picture we want to paint of America.

Why not? As someone else mentioned, there was once a perception of America that there was "a rifle behind every blade of grass". Why was that a good thing back then (by my reckoning at least) but not now?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

Do you have any reasons for that opinion? Do you just not care for the look of armed citizens?

Israelihotteesatthebarwithguns.jpg

Personal preference I suppose.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Why not? As someone else mentioned, there was once a perception of America that there was "a rifle behind every blade of grass". Why was that a good thing back then (by my reckoning at least) but not now?
    I think that perception is still true today in much of the world.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Do you have any reasons for that opinion? Do you just not care for the look of armed citizens?

Israelihotteesatthebarwithguns.jpg

Personal preference I suppose.

In Israel, there's a good reason why people are outfitted like that. No, I don't care for the look of citizens armed in such a way. (American citizens)

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

That quote is mis-attributed. And unless someone takes away our arms, that belief will always be valid. I cannot think of a time ever when Americans generally (as a populace) carried long guns, willy nilly, without an intelligent reason for doing so. If you're in the middle of a riot, civil unrest, natural disaster... tote away, I'll probably be doing the same. But if you're going to the Meijers down the road to get a case of hamburger for your holiday cookout, leave it at home, strap you EDC (CC or OC) to your side, and do what you need to do.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    In Israel, there's a good reason why people are outfitted like that. No, I don't care for the look of citizens armed in such a way. (American citizens)

Why would you need a reason, good or bad, for someone else to carry their rifle? How does a person's nationality change how they look with a slung rifle?

That quote is mis-attributed. And unless someone takes away our arms, that belief will always be valid. I cannot think of a time ever when Americans generally (as a populace) carried long guns, willy nilly, without an intelligent reason for doing so. If you're in the middle of a riot, civil unrest, natural disaster... tote away, I'll probably be doing the same. But if you're going to the Meijers down the road to get a case of hamburger for your holiday cookout, leave it at home, strap you EDC (CC or OC) to your side, and do what you need to do.

So you'd be fine if I carried a rifle every day to the side? No, I'll assume you meant a handgun. Why are you fine with small guns but not longer ones? Is it because the small ones require state permission? Is that an important perceived difference? Doesn't seem as much like practicing a right, then, more of a purchased privilege.

Regardless of your answers, they'll still just be personal opinions. And we sure don't want opinions governing here in America, do we?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Why would you need a reason, good or bad, for someone else to carry their rifle? How does a person's nationality change how they look with a slung rifle?

So you'd be fine if I carried a rifle every day to the side? No, I'll assume you meant a handgun. Why are you fine with small guns but not longer ones? Is it because the small ones require state permission? Is that an important perceived difference? Doesn't seem as much like practicing a right, then, more of a purchased privilege.

Regardless of your answers, they'll still just be personal opinions. And we sure don't want opinions governing here in America, do we?

All I've stated was opinions. "Distasteful," isn't "illegal." I'd oppose any such law that made carrying a long gun illegal, despite finding it distasteful. And where in the world you get I'm ok with handguns because you have to have a permit?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You did make me think of something though. Would you be ok, if police had long guns strapped to their chest/backs during all calls, routine/emergency?

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville

According to your analogies any person and/or people should be able to carry anything, regardless of potential destructive ability, anywhere they wish as long as they are not actively engaged in a threatening situation. Therefore, seeing someone carrying a package labeled C-4 and a bunch of what appears to be electronics should be ignored because they haven't blown up any people or buildings..........yet. If you are so trusting, why would you have the desire to carry open or concealed? If you think the example merits concern then why wouldn't the average person be concerned when they spot anyone carrying a weapon designed to inflict deadly force? You are saying people have no right to their feelings of discomfort and/or fear when they go out in public as long as you have the right to carry under your interpretation of the 2nd Amendment. The interpretation of the 2nd Amendment is probably the most likely part to come under attack and the arguments for opening that interpretation are getting to be difficult to dispute. You will lose your guns before me for the simple reason that I don't bother showing everyone that I'm armed. Thus, you are more of the problem than the solution to protect our right to carry. Sad, so very sad!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For those who are upset by he sight of people carrying long guns "in public" and believe it will somehow compromise the right to bear arms, let's look at Texas. There was a lot of negative publicity around open carry of long guns before their open carry law was passed. Yet, even with all of that, open carry still became part of the law in Texas. You may consider it "over the top," but it clearly was not a deal-breaker.

In Ohio, open carry of handguns was WAY over the top in that state before they had a concealed carry permit available. Not long guns, but given the socio-political situation at the time, it was viewed similarly as the Texas long gun bearers. Several very public open carry marches helped get that law passed. They did not impede it.

Yeah, California went the opposite way, but 1) it was barely legal rural areas to open carry unloaded guns as it was, and 2) it's freakin' California.

If you don't like to see people with long guns, that's you're bag and you're welcome to your own opinion. You're not welcome to your own facts. The same goes for those who oppose open carry of handguns.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    If you really think about it, that's a pretty weak argument. Texas and many of the States west of the Mississippi have a much larger percentage of their population that are avid hunters and sportsmen. These States also have fewer people per square mile and the use of firearms is an integral part of their culture. The type of gun possession you are seemingly promoting is outside of those areas and is portrayed by the anti-gun lobbyists as cult behavior and is gaining momentum in the eastern 1/3 of this Country and the coastal States. That amounts to a majority of the voting population of America. Go ahead and deny that public perception has anything to do with laws that effect all of us. I know better.

Top Bottom