• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I think both sides have merit. OCing a handgun, for instance, kinda isn't the same when it's a rifle. Well all know theres a significant difference in perception.

In Indiana, one cannot practice the right to bear a handgun as one still may with a rifle.

How shall we change perception? By hiding things?

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    So, you think it makes sense to disparage others who exercise this right simply because you're afraid of losing it?

You thing the peaceful practitioners are the problem? Where is this fuel you keep mentioning? Fuel for what? It's just a slung rifle.

So you think it's OK to make people fear for their lives and the lives of their loved ones as long as you have the right provided by the 2nd Amendment. How long do you really think that will be tolerated? At some point it will be easier to ban guns than to continue having to impose new legislation to stop senseless displays in public. You want to wave your gun in everyone's face and then you have the audacity to say I'm afraid. That's funny. Pathetic, but funny.

I'm too old to be afraid of much and too brave to fear leaving my home at anytime without being armed. I open carry at the range and some places where the general public accepts it. Otherwise, I conceal to avoid conflict, bringing negative attention to myself, or making others uncomfortable. If you want to open-carry everywhere that's fine with me. If it bites you in the butt I'm sure you'll understand me saying "I told you so".

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    To get the thread back on track, I spent all day up at Ball State yesterday, including walking through several of the dorms, the CAP Building, all over campus, and then went to the football game. I was armed the entire time. No one seemed to notice the M&P compact I carried, or they noticed and didn't care.

I always carry there. But I always carry somewhat concealed. Have a kid graduating this year and I need to find out what they do at graduation. Hate to miss it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    In Indiana, one cannot practice the right to bear a handgun as one still may with a rifle.

How shall we change perception? By hiding things?

It's debatable if that perception should be changed. The perception, that carrying a rifle, in public, is something that should be looked upon as normal or desired.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Too bad the LGBT+ community didn't "CC". Just think how much more accepted they would be if they had stayed in the closet.

I think that's a bad analogy. The gay thing, isn't in my wheelhouse, but it really doesn't bother me to see women or men hold hands or give each other an innocent smooch. Now, it's completely their right to wear rainbow hot pants and stick their tongues down each others throats on a public street, but I'd rather not see it. It's the extreme version of the display, and display, that people find distasteful.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I think that's a bad analogy. The gay thing, isn't in my wheelhouse, but it really doesn't bother me to see women or men hold hands or give each other an innocent smooch. Now, it's completely their right to wear rainbow hot pants and stick their tongues down each others throats on a public street, but I'd rather not see it. It's the extreme version of the display, and display, that people find distasteful.

And over the top displays of ANYTHING will turn off those centrists that are either on the fence or indifferent. Extreme displays of anything can be very polarizing. It will take those that otherwise had no opinion on the matter suddenly be forced to have one. And its quite possible they will side against the person doing the act because it makes them uncomfortable.

You dont encourage ignorant people to accept something new by hitting them over the head with the most extreme version of it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    And over the top displays of ANYTHING will turn off those centrists that are either on the fence or indifferent. Extreme displays of anything can be very polarizing. It will take those that otherwise had no opinion on the matter suddenly be forced to have one. And its quite possible they will side against the person doing the act because it makes them uncomfortable.

You dont encourage ignorant people to accept something new by hitting them over the head with the most extreme version of it.

Exactly

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    So you think it's OK to make people fear for their lives and the lives of their loved ones as long as you have the right provided by the 2nd Amendment.

Bearing arms does not make people fear for their lives, that would be an irrational fear which I did not cause by carrying in public.
    Also, the 2nd amendment does not provide anyone any right whatsoever, you are obviously still confused as to what it is and what it does.
    As I suggested earlier in the thread, you really should have studied up a bit before having another go.

How long do you really think that will be tolerated?

Bearing arms? Forever.

At some point it will be easier to ban guns than to continue having to impose new legislation to stop senseless displays in public.

I get it, I really do. You agree with the anti-gunners that bearing arms in public is senseless. You are a proponent of hiding one's armed status rather than freely and naturally exercising that right. I don't agree that you have any leg to stand on, but I get it, you've made your opinion quite clear.

You want to wave your gun in everyone's face and then you have the audacity to say I'm afraid. That's funny. Pathetic, but funny.

I've never waved my gun in anyone's face and you are absolutely afraid. I don't have any idea why you'd find that funny.

I'm too old to be afraid of much and too brave to fear leaving my home at anytime without being armed.

Regardless of your age or self-proclaimed bravery, you just aren't making rational sense.

I open carry at the range and some places where the general public accepts it.

How brave of you.

Otherwise, I conceal to avoid conflict, bringing negative attention to myself, or making others uncomfortable.

Go to any lengths you wish to hide the fact that you are armed, your reasons for doing so need not impress me.

If you want to open-carry everywhere that's fine with me.

Are you sure about that? You seem to relish saying it's senseless, fuel for anti-gun legislation, akin to waving the gun in people's faces and threatening them, and will lead to the repeal of the 2nd amendment.
    I'm calling BS on this.

If it bites you in the butt I'm sure you'll understand me saying "I told you so".

I don't doubt you'd try, you genuinely seem to think you're putting forth a valid argument.

You're not.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm not. It's a bad look that doesn't reflect well on the nation and its citizens.

But why is that? 40 years ago it wasn't looked upon this way, at least not where I lived (southside of Indy, in the same place I live now). My buddies and I would regularly walk down a busy street, carrying a shotgun and with a rifle slung over our backs, ammo vests bulging with ammo, on the way to where we would go to shoot (under a bridge on 465). Nobody gave us a second thought. If we were to do that now, I have no doubt that the police would be called. What has changed? Why has it changed?

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    It's debatable if that perception should be changed. The perception, that carrying a rifle, in public, is something that should be looked upon as normal or desired.

You are welcome to debate it and even to not participate in personal efforts to normalize the sight of an armed citizenry. Start a new thread topic if you like ...I'll find it.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    But why is that? 40 years ago it wasn't looked upon this way, at least not where I lived (southside of Indy, in the same place I live now). My buddies and I would regularly walk down a busy street, carrying a shotgun and with a rifle slung over our backs, ammo vests bulging with ammo, on the way to where we would go to shoot (under a bridge on 465). Nobody gave us a second thought. If we were to do that now, I have no doubt that the police would be called. What has changed? Why has it changed?

Exactly. And, a rifle behind every blade of grass aint such a bad world perception of America.

It certainly has a nicer ring to it than a handgun hidden under every Hawaiian shirt. :):

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You are welcome to debate it and even to not participate in personal efforts to normalize the sight of an armed citizenry. Start a new thread topic if you like ...I'll find it.

I have no issue with armed citizens, it's when the display becomes intentionally obtuse that I find an issue.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Why didn't you and your buddy carry like that all the time?

Top Bottom