• Status
    Not open for further replies.

evanrw61

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Southport Indiana
    I don't care about the owner of ChicFilA's political views anymore then I care about the political views of the guy handing me my chicken sandwich are. Both are equally intitled to their opinions. The food is good, their restaurants are clean, and the employees are my neighbors. That's good enough for me. I'll take 2 chicken salad sandwiches and a brownie please.
    :twocents:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I hope I never decide to get married. I don't believe in wizards in the clouds and I'd hate to have to have a civil union because of that.

Regular readers know of your animosity of religion and that the only use you have for religious figures is to use their names in vain.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Before this thread wonders (more) off course and gets locked, I wanted to mention that I'll be at the Carmel Chik-Fil-A today for lunch.

Too often today people will have their beliefs challenged, and in response to that challenge change those beliefs because to do otherwise would jeopardize the quest for the All Mighty Dollar. Once in a while, though, we see examples of people declaring that their beliefs can not be bought, and they will openly state those beliefs despite the consequences. There was a time when this type of conviction was admired even by those who do not share the same beliefs. Sadly, almost daily I see more and more examples where people demand conformity over conviction.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Drove to the local Chick-fil-A here in NWI tonight. We had to drive around the lot twice before a spot opened up. Place was packed inside and out. Drive thru was packed as well.

Picked up a salad and drink for tomorrow's lunch (I can't leave work for lunch). This should send a few of my "progressive" co-workers into apoplectic fits.

Apparently, you and all those other customers didn't hear the news...

:laugh:

Several, I would imagine. He can throw all the money he wants behind whatever cause he wants. It simply won't be any of my money that he throws. America seems to agree with my position.

Chick-Fil-A takes perception dive with fast food eaters

The anti-gay message simply is not selling.

Rachel Held Evans | How to win a culture war and lose a generation

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I didn't eat that crap before...no reason to start now. Do I know the political views of the CEO of McDonalds? Subway? Etc? No. Why is that? Because they do not want to alienate a segment of their customer base...good business sense. They should have just kept their mouths shut. Sure, we all knew they were religious but should have kept their personal views private. They lets their views be known, it was inevitable that they **** off a chunk of their customers (no matter what their views happen to be).

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I didn't eat that crap before...no reason to start now. Do I know the political views of the CEO of McDonalds? Subway? Etc? No. Why is that? Because they do not want to alienate a segment of their customer base...good business sense. They should have just kept their mouths shut. Sure, we all knew they were religious but should have kept their personal views private. They lets their views be known, it was inevitable that they **** off a chunk of their customers (no matter what their views happen to be).

Gee and I would have thought it had something to do with McDonalds being a publicly traded company with the CEO serving at the pleasure of the Board of Directors whereas Chick Fil A is a privately held company, that means the guys at the top probably own most or all of it. They have always been open about their Christianity. The liberal media are the ones that sought their position on gay marriage and publicized it. Otherwise we likely would not have ever heard about it. I think this is a manufactured controversy.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Gee and I would have thought it had something to do with McDonalds being a publicly traded company with the CEO serving at the pleasure of the Board of Directors whereas Chick Fil A is a privately held company, that means the guys at the top probably own most or all of it. They have always been open about their Christianity. The liberal media are the ones that sought their position on gay marriage and publicized it. Otherwise we likely would not have ever heard about it. I think this is a manufactured controversy.

Publicly traded or not, the people at the top keep their traps shut for a reason. Once they take a stand publicly, there will ALWAYS alienate a segment of their customers...no matter what the issue and on what side of that issue they stand. It is always a "no win" situation. So why is ANYONE surprised that their public stand has created animosity? They asked for it. Like I said before, I don't eat there anyway and don't plan on it so I have no dog in this fight.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Publicly traded or not, the people at the top keep their traps shut for a reason. Once they take a stand publicly, there will ALWAYS alienate a segment of their customers...no matter what the issue and on what side of that issue they stand. It is always a "no win" situation. So why is ANYONE surprised that their public stand has created animosity? They asked for it. Like I said before, I don't eat there anyway and don't plan on it so I have no dog in this fight.
    I don't recall you getting this worked up over Ben & Jerry's fight for liberal causes, or Progressive Insurance that openly is ... well progressive. Many other companies from Apple to GE have come out in support of gay marriage benefits for the employees. So I guess you only have a problem with people that you disagree with and openly state their opinion. So I guess only Christians should keep their traps shut to avoid alienating you.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County

Some things are worth speaking up about even if there is a significant price to pay (in this case it may cost a business owner customers & money). I think it's time more people stand up and be counted and let their convictions be known rather than keeping silent for fear of offending someone or being politically incorrect.

The liberal left, including the LGBT activists who preach tolerance and acceptance, sure don't act very tolerant when someone with a different point of view expresses it. They decry bullying, but they quickly pounce on anyone who opposes them in an attempt to get them to "shut up" and in the process intimidate others into being silent. Enough is enough!

:soapbox:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    The only problem that I have with Chick-fil-a is that they are relatively rare in the FFM. Not that many of their stores around. The closest one to me is nearly an hour away, so, no, I will not be eating there today. I've been to a fwe in the past. food is good, but McD, BK, Wendy's Arby's, Hardee's, etc are jsut so much more available...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The liberal left, including the LGBT activists who preach tolerance and acceptance, sure don't act very tolerant when someone with a different point of view expresses it. They decry bullying, but they quickly pounce on anyone who opposes them in an attempt to get them to "shut up" and in the process intimidate others into being silent. Enough is enough!
    <deleted>
    nevermind, it's not worth delving into this cesspool.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I don't recall you getting this worked up over Ben & Jerry's fight for liberal causes, or Progressive Insurance that openly is ... well progressive. Many other companies from Apple to GE have come out in support of gay marriage benefits for the employees. So I guess you only have a problem with people that you disagree with and openly state their opinion. So I guess only Christians should keep their traps shut to avoid alienating you.

Wow, I'm am glad you know me. I was NEVER alienated by the chicken place nor have I ever implied that. I don't CARE what their views are. I don't CARE about the pro-cop killer stance Ben and Jerry's took. It does not affect me and I'm not getting worked up about them. I do find it amusing that both sides of this issue get their panties in a wad over it. What I WAS saying, I thought pretty clearly, is that once a business takes a political/social stance, they will **** customers off...its to be expected. I guess it's worth it.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Some things are worth speaking up about even if there is a significant price to pay (in this case it may cost a business owner customers & money). I think it's time more people stand up and be counted and let their convictions be known rather than keeping silent for fear of offending someone or being politically incorrect.

:soapbox:

So does the appreciation for one's convictions equal no matter the political stance? I am honestly asking and not being snippy I promise.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Glad to see so many people standing up for the 1st amendment. The liberals in government seem to think that no-one should be allowed to disagree with them, and the activists are just trying to punish a company for one man's opinion, to scare other people into never disagreeing with them again.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Wow, I'm am glad you know me. I was NEVER alienated by the chicken place nor have I ever implied that. I don't CARE what their views are. I don't CARE about the pro-cop killer stance Ben and Jerry's took. It does not affect me and I'm not getting worked up about them. I do find it amusing that both sides of this issue get their panties in a wad over it. What I WAS saying, I thought pretty clearly, is that once a business takes a political/social stance, they will **** customers off...its to be expected. I guess it's worth it.

You guess correctly. It is worth everything to take a stand for Christ and His will.

Glad to see you're getting the idea of why the folks at the top will do such things. None of them set out to offend anyone to loose some customers. Some men will sell their soul for a dollar. Some men will not put their soul for sell. The heads of Chick-Fil-A fall into the latter group- a good place to be.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    So does the appreciation for one's convictions equal no matter the political stance? I am honestly asking and not being snippy I promise.

I'll try to answer your question if I understand it correctly. If I have misunderstood, please set me straight.

I respect a person who "walks the talk" and is willing to take responsibilty and do what they believe is right because it is the right thing to do. I don't have much respect for politicians who consult the latest polls before taking a stance.

That being said, a person can feel very strongly about something and be dead wrong. Therefore, each person should take the time and make an effort to understand the issue(s) and then decide for their self what they believe and know why they believe it. Ultimately we're all accountable for our own choices and actions. I think most people prefer to go along with the crowd because it's easier that way and if something goes wrong they can blame someone else. Personally I think a lot of politicians care more about their own careers than they do about the people they are supposed to be serving and the Constitution they swear to support. I often disagree with politicians, but I do respect those with the courage to go against popular opinion ,and even their own party, to carry out their duties to the best of their ability.

In this case we have a person who is being ridiculed for expressing their God given right of free speech. A right protected by the Constitution. Regardless of his opinion, he has the right to express it without fear the government is going to prevent him from doing business in a particular city because they don't like his personal views.

I hope this answers your question. Denny347, please understand that this is not directed towards you. I am simply expressing my opinion of where I believe we are as a society.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I'll try to answer your question if I understand it correctly. If I have misunderstood, please set me straight.

I respect a person who "walks the talk" and is willing to take responsibilty and do what they believe is right because it is the right thing to do. I don't have much respect for politicians who consult the latest polls before taking a stance.

That being said, a person can feel very strongly about something and be dead wrong. Therefore, each person should take the time and make an effort to understand the issue(s) and then decide for their self what they believe and know why they believe it. Ultimately we're all accountable for our own choices and actions. I think most people prefer to go along with the crowd because it's easier that way and if something goes wrong they can blame someone else. Personally I think a lot of politicians care more about their own careers than they do about the people they are supposed to be serving and the Constitution they swear to support. I often disagree with politicians, but I do respect those with the courage to go against popular opinion ,and even their own party, to carry out their duties to the best of their ability.

In this case we have a person who is being ridiculed for expressing their God given right of free speech. A right protected by the Constitution. Regardless of his opinion, he has the right to express it without fear the government is going to prevent him from doing business in a particular city because they don't like his personal views.

I hope this answers your question. Denny347, please understand that this is not directed towards you. I am simply expressing my opinion of where I believe we are as a society.

Thank you for your answer. I agree.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Here's a good point.

There are certain actors, actresses, and TV/movie producers that I try to avoid watching their shows and movies because of (in my opinion) vile positions they take. Same with certain other businesses, manufacturers, musicians, etc.

What I don't disagree with is their right to say what they want and their desire to make a legal, "honest", living. It's their right to do it and it's my right to respond with counter arguements....sometimes those counter arguements are made with my money. Just because I believe somebody is wrong, doesn't mean I believe they should be shut up. By the same token, I often choose to do business with those I share the same philosophy.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I just went to Chik Fil A and they were packed at 9:30 in the morning. I asked the guy behind the counter if he was busy and he said it was busier then he has ever seen it.

I bought a couple of chickien biscuits in the name of the first amendment. :rockwoot:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom