Not open for further replies.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    How were their first amendment rights violated?

I am really struggling to bring myself to care about this.

Because the Democrat Mayors of two cities said they would use the coercive power of government at their disposal to prevent Chick Fil A from ever building a restaurant in their cities due to the religious views of the people at the company. One would think that people who are supposedly for liberty and freedom would be appalled at that.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Because the Democrat Mayors of two cities said they would use the coercive power of government at their disposal to prevent Chick Fil A from ever building a restaurant in their cities due to the religious views of the people at the company. One would think that people who are supposedly for liberty and freedom would be appalled at that.

Source? How, specifically, did they intend to stop them from building a restaurant?

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Actual quote from a Chicago TV News Anchor (recently delivered in all seriousness and with a straight face) ... "Intolerance will not be tolerated."

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    You're obviously not from Chicago, .... are you? ;)

No, I'm not.

I can't find anything that talks about a government preventing them from purchasing private property and opening a business if they so choose. If that happens then I will certainly agree that it is a violation, but I'm still not certain that the 1st Amendment applies.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    So isn't it just a little bit ironic that the owner of Chick-fil-a wants government to regulate marriage and now government is being used against him? A government powerful enough to regulate marriage is powerful enough to regulate property usage.

How many here are upset that zoning/permitting are being used against this man but support zoning/permitting to protect their own property interests?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The public officials that have been speaking about the issue are obviously wrong. That said, I will not patronize a business that actively oppose equal treatment under the law for my friends and family.

That is certainly your right.

Too bad some entrepreneur that wishes to open a sandwich shop in Boston or Chicago doesn't enjoy the same tolerance.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The public officials that have been speaking about the issue are obviously wrong. That said, I will not patronize a business that actively oppose equal treatment under the law for my friends and family.

That is certainly your right.

Too bad some entrepreneur that wishes to open a sandwich shop in Boston or Chicago doesn't enjoy the same tolerance.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    O.k. this is just great, all of you "cause supporters" are going to horn in on my Wednesday cfa lunch and make it even more crowded and noisy. It's bad enough when the soccer moms show up with their little vermon, (actually some of the soccer moms aren't bad!:naughty:) but now all of you "supporters" are going to really raise the volume level!:laugh:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    So isn't it just a little bit ironic that the owner of Chick-fil-a wants government to regulate marriage and now government is being used against him.

Some people will never understand the need for separation. Do you remember all the noise generated by mosque building?

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    No, I'm not.

I can't find anything that talks about a government preventing them from purchasing private property and opening a business if they so choose. If that happens then I will certainly agree that it is a violation, but I'm still not certain that the 1st Amendment applies.

It's very well detailed in the Chicago area media. A quick search of the Chicago Tribune or Chicago Sun-Times as well as Chicago TV News from the past few days will guide you to all the proof/explanation you need.

Bottom line, there's an old rule or tradition that allows an alderman to give a thumbs up or thumbs down to any building permit in his ward. The city council or permitting committe traditionally always goes with the alderman's recommendation. This is what is known as machine politics ... or the Chicago way.

The alderman in this case (Moreno) clearly stated that he would recommend denial of the permit specifically because of the owner's stance on homosexuality and "gay marriage."

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Bottom line, there's an old rule or tradition that allows an alderman to give a thumbs up or thumbs down to any building permit in his ward. The city council or permitting committe traditionally always goes with the alderman's recommendation.

Ahh, and here we have located the root of the problem. Government interference in things such as building permits, zoning, grass length and marriage.

Let's ban that.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I thought Mr Cathy just voiced his opinions on what he thought about marriage, not that he wanted the government involved in anything
    Don't fall for the straw man. Some want to stomp out all voices that differ from their opinions.

The owners have a well-known and widely publicized commitment to their Christian faith; Chick-fil-A stores remain closed on Sundays to celebrate the Christian Sabbath. Chick-fil-A's mission clearly underscores those values, as well as traditional customer service goals: "To glorify God by being a faithful steward of all that is entrusted to us. To have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A."

With that background — which Chick-fil-A promotes on its website — no one should have been surprised to hear chief operating officer Dan Cathy express his support for a traditional definition of marriage. "We are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit," Cathy told Baptist Press two weeks ago. "We know that it might not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."
    Whether or not one agrees with Dan Cathy about the definition of marriage, he has the same right to do business in any American city as anyone else who believes differently.

Rahm Emanuel, Chick-fil-A, and the easy slide into fascism - Yahoo! News

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom