"Are you kidding me?" / Facepalm Thread (pt 2)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    If they would open ALL the registers that are needed, I would agree. But when I walk in, and they're obviously busy, but only 2 lanes of the "manned" registers are open? Nah, I'm going to self-serve. That's a management issue IMHO. Although at Kroger for instance, sometimes the self-serve registers are slower, depending on 1) the intelligence of the people trying to scan their own groceries and 2) people that are buying alcohol or cigarettes (or anything else that requires age verification). Sometimes I'll go to a full serve register with one person in line rather than go to the self-serve if I see a bunch of people waiting for the ONE attendant to take care of the people that have to have assistance from the cashier.

That's WHY you go to the self serve and do the work for them... your impatience, and desire to get there and out quickly gets them your labor for free. They don't have to hire people, because people will work for free just to get out quickly. If people stood around creating a ruckus, or better yet, went elsewhere, they would be forced to open up more registers with live people working them. They have learned to use the apathy of the public to change the free market system to their advantage.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Or they have simply learned that lower prices increases sales and/or improves market share. People have the option to visit stores that offer more service and charge higher prices for that service (ex: Trader Joes), but only so many people will choose that option.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That's WHY you go to the self serve and do the work for them... your impatience, and desire to get there and out quickly gets them your labor for free. They don't have to hire people, because people will work for free just to get out quickly. If people stood around creating a ruckus, or better yet, went elsewhere, they would be forced to open up more registers with live people working them. They have learned to use the apathy of the public to change the free market system to their advantage.

So they're "winning" by making the process faster for their customers?

giphy.gif

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    That's WHY you go to the self serve and do the work for them... your impatience, and desire to get there and out quickly gets them your labor for free... They have learned to use the apathy of the public to change the free market system to their advantage.

My impatience, my desire to get out of there quickly, have nothing to do with apathy.:rolleyes:

They stem from the realization that time is the most valuable commodity there is and mine ain't free.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The problem with that thinking, AI no longer is just a threat to jobs not requiring thinking skills. AI is getting quite good at making wills and evaluating/drafting contracts, searching through stacks of paperwork, stuff like that. Probably trial lawyers are the safest lawyers right now. But litigation may not be all that far off.

And hacking your RoboAttorney is likely cheaper than suborning your flesh and blood one. Win-win

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The problem with that thinking, AI no longer is just a threat to jobs not requiring thinking skills. AI is getting quite good at making wills and evaluating/drafting contracts, searching through stacks of paperwork, stuff like that. Probably trial lawyers are the safest lawyers right now. But litigation may not be all that far off.

Yeah...I've heard those same things. It's pie in the sky. You can use legal zoom now and not get a real attorney involved....but the money is in complex estates and the people who have those will not be using AI within my lifetime...probably 2 or 3 more.

As for litigation, no- never. This is "futurist" stuff which is notoriously inaccurate. Still waiting for my flying car.

...and that's without getting into the constitutional amendments and all the state and federal law changes necessary.

Feeling pretty safe right now.

But like I said, it's not just about what machines can technically do, it's about the cost of the machine to do it and the quality of the result versus a human. There are still a lot of places humans have the advantage even when a machine is capable of doing the job.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    371   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Yeah...I've heard those same things. It's pie in the sky. You can use legal zoom now and not get a real attorney involved....but the money is in complex estates and the people who have those will not be using AI within my lifetime...probably 2 or 3 more. Feeling pretty safe right now.

Same with appraising. It is the low hanging, simple fruit that will go away. The market for residential appraising has already shrunk tremendously. Simple refinances, high equity mortgages and even purchases in cookie cutter neighborhoods are being underwritten with automatic valuation models (AVMs). But add a dash of complexity or weirdness and it is back to the human. I do mainly non-residential work with lots of right-of-way projects. Be a while before that is automated.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    OK, NOW I've seen it all.
    Apparently, it's Trumps fault that black women are fat...

https://www.theblaze.com/news/gende...7RQ8mTE3wuaXMQn5exo6xAlKPk_3NNYECvnOtN3gljfBo

How do I say this?

President Trump took office on January 20, 2017.

The Weathergirls released "It's Raining Men" in 1982.

Oprah's show debuted in 1986.

"What's Happening" premiered in 1976.

Sirmixalot released "Baby Got Back" in 1992.

...and in a reasonable reading between the lines, Queen released "Fat Bottom Girls", referring to big fat Fanny, the naughty nanny, in 1978.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom