"Are you kidding me?" / Facepalm Thread (pt 2)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...Machines should work FOR us... not REPLACE us. If they REPLACE us, we won't be able to get a job, to earn our keep...

I am a journeyman toolmaker. CNC machines, for the most part, have replaced me. What would take me days to do manually can be accomplished in hours by a machine. In order to earn my keep, I learned to run those CNC machines. Then I learned to program those machines. Now I supervise those who program them. The only ones who can't earn their keep when replaced by a machine are those who can't, or won't, learn to something else.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I used to be amazed when I went to Aldi, no prices marked on any goods and every checker knew every price and were fast as could be, The first couple of times, I checked the receipt. Now they scan everything just like everywhere else.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Note to self- have a job that a machine cannot do better or cheaper. Granted, this involves making a plan and executing it.

Sure, there are a lot of things machines can, technically, do...but humans still do them better or the cost of a machine to do it is much more than human workers. Being a cashier is not one of those things because pretty much no human thought or skill is required. The handwriting was on the wall 30 years ago when they went from keying in prices to simply sliding a UPC over a scanner.

I have reached the conclusion that not only can a machine do anything I can do better than I can do it, I could easily be replaced by a trained chimp. Now that my job search has passed the one year mark, it is readily apparent that every employer in central Indiana prefers the trained chimp to me. I find that insulting because I have never, ever torn anyone's entire face off of their head with my jaws. NOT ONE TIME!

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I have reached the conclusion that not only can a machine do anything I can do better than I can do it, I could easily be replaced by a trained chimp. Now that my job search has passed the one year mark, it is readily apparent that every employer in central Indiana prefers the trained chimp to me. I find that insulting because I have never, ever torn anyone's entire face off of their head with my jaws. NOT ONE TIME!

Machines also cut themselves less. Just sayin

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    001.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It's very easy for me to check my own stuff at the machine, but it's the principal of it all. They are saving money not hiring people. People have less jobs to apply for, but I've seen no reduction in prices. Not only that, but a society where people are replace by machines isn't good for us. Machines should work FOR us... not REPLACE us. If they REPLACE us, we won't be able to get a job, to earn our keep. There's no personal interaction. I know a lady at the walmart (not a super walmart) at home where if I don't go in for a while she'll say "Haven't seen you two (I have a service dog) in a while." and I always chat with the greeter, a WWII vet. I'm anti-social to a degree, but I'm small town, so people matter.

If they would open ALL the registers that are needed, I would agree. But when I walk in, and they're obviously busy, but only 2 lanes of the "manned" registers are open? Nah, I'm going to self-serve. That's a management issue IMHO. Although at Kroger for instance, sometimes the self-serve registers are slower, depending on 1) the intelligence of the people trying to scan their own groceries and 2) people that are buying alcohol or cigarettes (or anything else that requires age verification). Sometimes I'll go to a full serve register with one person in line rather than go to the self-serve if I see a bunch of people waiting for the ONE attendant to take care of the people that have to have assistance from the cashier.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We're dead.
    [video=youtube;fsF7enQY8uI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsF7enQY8uI[/video]

I hate Captcha. Why do they have to make them nearly human-unreadable, let alone "bot" unreadable? There are a lot of times when I have to hit the "choose a new captcha image" because they're just freaking illegible.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    They have a sweet system in place, now if they could just improve their doo-doo tasting pizza.
    They arent the the best tasting, but cheap and easy. Try the deep dish. Those are pretty good.

We're dead.
    [video=youtube;fsF7enQY8uI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsF7enQY8uI[/video]
    I promise not to Denny this one. LOL

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Note to self- have a job that a machine cannot do better or cheaper. Granted, this involves making a plan and executing it.

Sure, there are a lot of things machines can, technically, do...but humans still do them better or the cost of a machine to do it is much more than human workers. Being a cashier is not one of those things because pretty much no human thought or skill is required. The handwriting was on the wall 30 years ago when they went from keying in prices to simply sliding a UPC over a scanner.

The problem with that thinking, AI no longer is just a threat to jobs not requiring thinking skills. AI is getting quite good at making wills and evaluating/drafting contracts, searching through stacks of paperwork, stuff like that. Probably trial lawyers are the safest lawyers right now. But litigation may not be all that far off.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I am a journeyman toolmaker. CNC machines, for the most part, have replaced me. What would take me days to do manually can be accomplished in hours by a machine. In order to earn my keep, I learned to run those CNC machines. Then I learned to program those machines. Now I supervise those who program them. The only ones who can't earn their keep when replaced by a machine are those who can't, or won't, learn to something else.

I think you guys are thinking about this as if AI is just another automation tool that just begets more sophisticated jobs. Like the hitching post industry. Automobiles killed that. Yet orders of magnitude more jobs were created. As the more menial jobs have been eliminated by automation, people who were smart enough could adapt further towards knowledge based work, to replace their former manual labor. Why isn't AI any different? There is always something else that the smarter people can do. Except when AI can think smarter/faster/better than humans.

AI isn't just a machine that does some repetitive task, it's a thing that can think much faster than humans. It will only get better at thinking as the technology advances. At some point AI will be able to out think the smartest knowledge workers. As technology advances and jobs that anyone can do are replaced with jobs that take more sophistication and training to do, human intelligence becomes a more important predictor of success. But what happens when the machines are smarter?

I don't think it'll happen in my career lifecycle. But what happens when machines can write code better than humans? Maybe this is just a lack of my imagination, just like the hitching post makers might have fretted about the loss of their livelihood to automobiles. I honestly can't imagine what will drive the new economy when machines can do pretty much everything better than humans. I don't know. What do you think people in your industry would do for a living if machines could do every aspect of your business up to the thing that you're doing now? Or, there is likely an eventuality that machines and AI can maintain, operate, and program, design, everything that your company does now, including managing the company? Maybe the only thing machines can't do as well as humans is human interaction. And maybe that'll be what drives that economy, because everything else could be done by machines.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I think you guys are thinking about this as if AI is just another automation tool that just begets more sophisticated jobs. Like the hitching post industry. Automobiles killed that. Yet orders of magnitude more jobs were created. As the more menial jobs have been eliminated by automation, people who were smart enough could adapt further towards knowledge based work, to replace their former manual labor. Why isn't AI any different? There is always something else that the smarter people can do. Except when AI can think smarter/faster/better than humans.

AI isn't just a machine that does some repetitive task, it's a thing that can think much faster than humans. It will only get better at thinking as the technology advances. At some point AI will be able to out think the smartest knowledge workers. As technology advances and jobs that anyone can do are replaced with jobs that take more sophistication and training to do, human intelligence becomes a more important predictor of success. But what happens when the machines are smarter?

I don't think it'll happen in my career lifecycle. But what happens when machines can write code better than humans? Maybe this is just a lack of my imagination, just like the hitching post makers might have fretted about the loss of their livelihood to automobiles. I honestly can't imagine what will drive the new economy when machines can do pretty much everything better than humans. I don't know. What do you think people in your industry would do for a living if machines could do every aspect of your business up to the thing that you're doing now? Or, there is likely an eventuality that machines and AI can maintain, operate, and program, design, everything that your company does now, including managing the company? Maybe the only thing machines can't do as well as humans is human interaction. And maybe that'll be what drives that economy, because everything else could be done by machines.

On one hand you could say that machines have been better at writing code for some time now. Machines really only run on machine language and anytime you write a program in a third, fourth or fifth generation language the compiler writes all the machine language. Not too many humans write machine language anymore.

On the other hand the machine will always have to be told what code to write which is where the humans come in. It wouldn't do much good if you want a pharmacy inventory system and the machine writes a program about pissed-off birds. It takes a lot of human input just to define a desired system.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    On one hand you could say that machines have been better at writing code for some time now. Machines really only run on machine language and anytime you write a program in a third, fourth or fifth generation language the compiler writes all the machine language. Not too many humans write machine language anymore.

On the other hand the machine will always have to be told what code to write which is where the humans come in. It wouldn't do much good if you want a pharmacy inventory system and the machine writes a program about pissed-off birds. It takes a lot of human input just to define a desired system.

It’s not anywhere near it now, but AI could someday replace CEO’s.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom