"Are you kidding me?" / Facepalm Thread (pt 2)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The big store in the area, that is more expensive but has a wider selection than other stores, had 4 self checkouts for about a year.

I usually only buy specialty items there. I could get through the self-checks in very little time.

They have replaced them with 4 express lanes and 4 checkers. Now it takes at least twice as long and I know prices have increased.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Between cashiers trying to force me to take the "senior discount" at age 48 and then judging my food purchases by saying: "that isn't what you're having for dinner is it?", I can do without the interaction.

The next cashier who gets judgy about my purchases may get a: "so you're over 50, and working the WalMart check out on a Saturday evening, life didn't quite work out like you expected, did it."

If you do this you must get video! :ingo:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So you wasted your own time to teach them a lesson.

That'll show 'em.

C'mon man. Having to move your hand and wrist that 6" across the scanner is a HUGE inconvenience. I personally prefer going to the self-checkout. I'm usually faster than the cashier at the regular checkout lanes and I know I bag my own groceries more logically.

ETA: I will concede that there are people that have no business using the self-checkout lanes. You know the ones... they stare at it for about 5 minutes before they ever attempt their first scan, then they have to get the cashier on duty because they don't understand why the "discount" from their loyalty card didn't come off right away (it comes off at the end), etc..

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Between cashiers trying to force me to take the "senior discount" at age 48 and then judging my food purchases by saying: "that isn't what you're having for dinner is it?", I can do without the interaction.

The next cashier who gets judgy about my purchases may get a: "so you're over 50, and working the WalMart check out on a Saturday evening, life didn't quite work out like you expected, did it."

Oh, my! Is someone a tad bit defensive, hmm?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    For those that REALLY want a "no peopling" experience, use the Little Caesars app and/or online ordering. (they now make pizzas to order, not just making 5 types you have to choose from.)

When you order and pay online they give you a code. You go in, walk STRAIGHT to the big pizza warmer at the end of the counter, type in your access code, and the little door where your order is opens automatically. You take out your food, turn around and walk out. No peopling involved.

And dont expect to just walk in and grab a pizza like you used to. They dont make nearly as many and every time I go there are people standing around for 10 minutes (or more) waiting for stock pizzas to be replenished.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    For those that REALLY want a "no peopling" experience, use the Little Caesars app and/or online ordering. (they now make pizzas to order, not just making 5 types you have to choose from.)

When you order and pay online they give you a code. You go in, walk STRAIGHT to the big pizza warmer at the end of the counter, type in your access code, and the little door where your order is opens automatically. You take out your food, turn around and walk out. No peopling involved.

And dont expect to just walk in and grab a pizza like you used to. They dont make nearly as many and every time I go there are people standing around for 10 minutes (or more) waiting for stock pizzas to be replenished.

My boy just graduated ISU this spring. He said him and the guys at the frat house would order uber eats to get stupid mcdonalds food so they wouldn't miss any Game of Thrones... This is the kind of people that Vigo County Sheriff Dept hires... lol.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    C'mon man. Having to move your hand and wrist that 6" across the scanner is a HUGE inconvenience. I personally prefer going to the self-checkout. I'm usually faster than the cashier at the regular checkout lanes and I know I bag my own groceries more logically.

ETA: I will concede that there are people that have no business using the self-checkout lanes. You know the ones... they stare at it for about 5 minutes before they ever attempt their first scan, then they have to get the cashier on duty because they don't understand why the "discount" from their loyalty card didn't come off right away (it comes off at the end), etc..

It's very easy for me to check my own stuff at the machine, but it's the principal of it all. They are saving money not hiring people. People have less jobs to apply for, but I've seen no reduction in prices. Not only that, but a society where people are replace by machines isn't good for us. Machines should work FOR us... not REPLACE us. If they REPLACE us, we won't be able to get a job, to earn our keep. There's no personal interaction. I know a lady at the walmart (not a super walmart) at home where if I don't go in for a while she'll say "Haven't seen you two (I have a service dog) in a while." and I always chat with the greeter, a WWII vet. I'm anti-social to a degree, but I'm small town, so people matter.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County

They have a sweet system in place, now if they could just improve their doo-doo tasting pizza.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My boy just graduated ISU this spring. He said him and the guys at the frat house would order uber eats to get stupid mcdonalds food so they wouldn't miss any Game of Thrones... This is the kind of people that Vigo County Sheriff Dept hires... lol.

I'd much rather them hire people who aren't thrifty (and have bad tastes in food) than hiring gun happy shooters, a la DFW.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It's very easy for me to check my own stuff at the machine, but it's the principal of it all. They are saving money not hiring people. People have less jobs to apply for, but I've seen no reduction in prices. Not only that, but a society where people are replace by machines isn't good for us. Machines should work FOR us... not REPLACE us. If they REPLACE us, we won't be able to get a job, to earn our keep. There's no personal interaction. I know a lady at the walmart (not a super walmart) at home where if I don't go in for a while she'll say "Haven't seen you two (I have a service dog) in a while." and I always chat with the greeter, a WWII vet. I'm anti-social to a degree, but I'm small town, so people matter.
    Less jobs? Have you seen the job market for that income level? Gotta pulse and drug free and you're hired.

Have you thought about all the higher wage jobs designing, producing and maintaining those machines? That's exactly how worker productivity (and wages, and living standards, etc.) goes up - more can be done with less people, thus freeing up labor to move to more productive jobs.

I wonder if you complained when UPC barcodes replaced the price gun stickers.

Besides, I thought we weren't going to "those" stores because they hate the 2A.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    JCrqEEh.jpg

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Less jobs? Have you seen the job market for that income level? Gotta pulse and drug free and you're hired.

Have you thought about all the higher wage jobs designing, producing and maintaining those machines? That's exactly how worker productivity (and wages, and living standards, etc.) goes up - more can be done with less people, thus freeing up labor to move to more productive jobs.

I wonder if you complained when UPC barcodes replaced the price gun stickers.

Besides, I thought we weren't going to "those" stores because they hate the 2A.

That's always my thought when I see these rants.... who is designing / building / installing / maintaining / upgrading all these job-stealing machines? Probably some good jobs in the lifecycle of that equipment.

Soon even the self-serve check-out lane will be obsolete. The Kroger near us was prototyping a system where you scanned items as you shopped and when you were done you tapped check-out and you could head to your car. Not to mention the buy-on-line option and they bring it out to your car. Getting rid of the check-out line all together is the next step.

-rvb

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...Machines should work FOR us... not REPLACE us...

Note to self- have a job that a machine cannot do better or cheaper. Granted, this involves making a plan and executing it.

Sure, there are a lot of things machines can, technically, do...but humans still do them better or the cost of a machine to do it is much more than human workers. Being a cashier is not one of those things because pretty much no human thought or skill is required. The handwriting was on the wall 30 years ago when they went from keying in prices to simply sliding a UPC over a scanner.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom