"Are you kidding me?" / Facepalm Thread (pt 2)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Boss like Ross https://www.outoflineactive.com/
    IMG_7225-e1562181568762.jpg

314bf8_6ebe9dfdc81f46218bd97d614aabb7f3~mv2.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    https://www.denverpost.com/2019/07/06/nike-3-billion-colin-kaepernick-shoe/

Nike rakes in $3 billion after Colin Kaepernick calls foul on shoe
    Fake news.

TMZ is doing the "reporting", the Denver Post is just a mindless parrot here. There's absolutely nothing in this article to tie the stock price to the controversy other than a coincidence in timing. The real reason is that Nike makes the jerseys for the women's soccer team, and they were winning big at that time - posed to win the cup (which they did). The Jerseys are wildly popular right now and sales are exceeding expectations.

And the stock is up one, maybe two percent - not exactly a meteoric rise.

Plus, Nike didn't "rake in" diddly squat. The stock price rose, and shareholders' paper value climbed.

EDIT - Doubling down on the lie: They trot out a quote from Kevin O'Leary (of Shark Tank fame) to validate their assessment. The key is, that quote was from February, long, long, before this kerfuffle.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It would not surprise me if Nike had a sales spike.

First, Nike is embracing the "woke" community (and America haters in general). They as much as [the royal] you won't buy Nikes because of this, they will specifically go out and buy them BECAUSE of this. I would fully expect a spoke in sales because people motivated for a cause will buy NOW and that's easy to see. Not buying is harder to see in stats.

Second, they don't need to sell to everyone. They will sell to the woke, the blind Kaepernick followers, those who thinks he represents something about some group and the largest group of all, those who don't know and don't care.

Third, they don't just sell in America. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out that, around the world (keeping in mind there are well over 7 billion people in the world who are NOT Americans) there are plenty of people who disdain America and anything that seems to "embarrass" it, they're into.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Here's the real "Are you kidding me" thing about that story...

Do a web search on that title, "Nike rakes in $3 billion after Colin Kaepernick calls foul on shoe".

See how many "news" outlets just run that same exact article?

A lot of them don't list the actual author and try to pass it of as their own. But I did find the source - a hack sports writer in San Francisco, Gary Peterson.

Here's the TMZ article he references: https://www.tmz.com/2019/07/05/nike...-kaepernick-betsy-ross-flag-shoe-controversy/

There's absolutely nothing in that article to substantiate that claim.

It took me 10-20 minutes to do a quick sanity check, so either these news sources don't bother with that, or don't give a **** about facts anymore. Of course, none of the MSM is running this story, but you can't trust them.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

First, Nike is embracing the "woke" community (and America haters in general). They as much as [the royal] you won't buy Nikes because of this, they will specifically go out and buy them BECAUSE of this. I would fully expect a spoke in sales because people motivated for a cause will buy NOW and that's easy to see. Not buying is harder to see in stats.

Second, they don't need to sell to everyone. They will sell to the woke, the blind Kaepernick followers, those who thinks he represents something about some group and the largest group of all, those who don't know and don't care.
    Wall Street doesn't do woke, they do money. If woke leads to money, then so be it. Plus, it's way to soon to see what the net effect Kapernick's hissy fit will have on their sales. I suspect nothing substantial.

Third, they don't just sell in America. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out that, around the world (keeping in mind there are well over 7 billion people in the world who are NOT Americans) there are plenty of people who disdain America and anything that seems to "embarrass" it, they're into.

And their logo (and "USA") is plastered on the W.C. winners' jersey, which is selling well in Europe.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    When will these people learn that being an entertainer does not mean we care what they think.

Joss Whedon

https://twitter.com/joss/status/1146904868185092097?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

The comments are rational.

Javier A

@VieroVue

·

Jul 4

Replying to

@joss

Wow this is from Joss Whedon?! Man what are you talking about? Cowed in and helpless? 2017 til today have been the best years of my life. And I'm a middle eastern looking man living in Texas! Celebrities are just too far gone at this point

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

This is kinda where my thinking is on it. A lot of companies can be as woke as they want and appeal to the “right” demographics and just not have to care about sane people. Young woke twitterotti are not anywhere near a majority of people, but sizable enough to make very loyal patrons. For Nike, it’s quite possible that the sports shoe/apparel buying public that care enough about this to boycott, would likely be more than offset by the bat-**** crazy people.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Wannabe fake cop pulls over real off duty cop... You can't make this stuff up... lol.

[video=youtube;Y7tsKBpeRQ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=21&v=Y7tsKBpeRQ8[/video]

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom