Apparently I'm not old enough to buy paint at TRACTOR SUPPLY Co.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    My dad had an issue at Rural King. He spends a couple hundred bucks a week on dog food (4 newfies and 2 St. Bernards) and usually picks up a few boxes of ammo or wherever. He finally had enough of it when they were writing his phone number and DL# on the check that he was paying with. She started scribbling the DL# and he finally asked why, she said "because that's what they tell me to do." Apparently he have a pretty good rant because after he recovered the check and DL he left with three other customers following him, abandoning their items on the belt. When it was all said and done they wanted DL#, phone#, DOB, address and full name. If somebody wanted to use that information for nefarious purposes he'd have already given them everything on one slip of paper. People wonder why their identities get stolen.

Sounds like your dad over reacted. Believe it or not, people right bad checks, and stores like to get paid.

Oh I totally agree.

She doesn't care if she sells me something or not, she still gets her minimum wage clerk pay.

She doesn't realize that all the other clerks are smart enough to realize that this is a stupid policy and just plug in any random date and complete the sale. She doesn't even realize that the company policy is pretty silly. She is just a stupid drone.

Well let's see, she is a dumbass. That is not petty name calling. That is fact.

FWIW, I complained about the policy to corporate and awaiting a reply. And no other clerk has ever had an issue with me not providing my information and every other one has sold me paint, chemicals, etc.

Further, its not a LAW to insure that the customer is 18. Its a policy. Whereas your tobacco example is actually enforced by both Indiana and Federal code. So yes, younger customers are carded. In fact tobacco retailers are REQUIRED to card anyone who looks under the age of 27.

However that is legally very different than a STORE POLICY that says it won't sell to someone under the age of 18 and then does NOT require proof that the person is ACTUALLY 18 years old.

So equating a law to a policy, as you have done, that seems pretty silly. At very least its a bad comparison.

You are being unbelievable immature about this. It doesn't matter if it's policy or law, you don't DESERVE anything from them. A policy might as well be the law within that stores confines. Are you really going to call her all sorts of names for doing her job? Incredible. How exactly is she a sheep or a drone? That's a huge stretch to suggest that she is a sheep or a drone because she follows company policy. Yikes.

Your date of birth is information many places use to verify who you are.
    If you start giving that information away, then it is easier for someone to steal your identity and ruin your credit.

And, I've seen Melensdad. There is no way he, or I for that matter, will be mistaken for being under 18.

It's a very basic verification step. If you want to do anything serious you're going to need a LOT more identifying information, but then, I'm sure you knew that. You're just trying to prove a point.

They are making a ridiculous request so I am giving them a ridiculous response. Why should I let them control my actions?

By giving them information that cannot possibly be used for its intended purpose, I AM standing up for my legitimacy while at the same time avoiding the inevitable unproductive hassle I would have to deal with if I addressed it directly.

Since my kids are old enough to understand the situation, I would say I'm happy with my example. Younger children may have to handled differently. :twocents:

It's not a ridiculous request. If it is, don't go there and don't ***** about it.

This kind of dramatic overreaction makes pharmacy work a living nightmare, and I'm sure it ruins days of other retail workers as well. Believe it or not, sometimes these minor requests actually serve a purpose, and it might even BENEFIT you from time to time. They are private businesses, grow up and drive on. No one is gonna come swooping in for your identity if you give away your zip code or birth date.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    USDOJ: CRM: About the Criminal Division

What Should I Do To Avoid Becoming a Victim of Identity Theft?
    To reduce or minimize the risk of becoming a victim of identity theft or fraud, there are some basic steps you can take. For starters, just remember the word "SCAM":
    S Be stingy about giving out your personal information to others unless you have a reason to trust them, regardless of where you are:
    At Home:
    1. Start by adopting a "need to know" approach to your personal data. Your credit card company may need to know your mother's maiden name, so that it can verify your identity when you call to inquire about your account. A person who calls you and says he's from your bank, however, doesn't need to know that information if it's already on file with your bank; the only purpose of such a call is to acquire that information for that person's personal benefit. Also, the more information that you have printed on your personal bank checks -- such as your Social Security number or home telephone number -- the more personal data you are routinely handing out to people who may not need that information.
    2.If someone you don't know calls you on the telephone and offers you the chance to receive a "major" credit card, a prize, or other valuable item, but asks you for personal data -- such as your Social Security number, credit card number or expiration date, or mother's maiden name -- ask them to send you a written application form.
    3.If they won't do it, tell them you're not interested and hang up.
    4.If they will, review the application carefully when you receive it and make sure it's going to a company or financial institution that's well-known and reputable. The Better Business Bureau can give you information about businesses that have been the subject of complaints.
    And it continues on.

Then there's the whole, "You're just buying paint thing". You know, stuff people have been buying and misusing for decades.

And yes, she's not going to make less money if you walk away. Till the business closes down.
    If the company doesn't want fake numbers typed in, why do they not require ID to be looked at?

I know, the problem really is corporate, and all the legal weenies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And yes, I had to give information to join this site.
    You can't totally eliminate giving out personal information.

But that doesn't mean I have to then just throw all kinds of it around.
    I don't have to use that information every time I log on here.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010

This isnt about throwing all kinds of information out, we are only talking about birthdays.

I bet graveyards are just full of people getting scammed, considering how many living people have stones that have their name and birthday on them.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    For those of you who do not read carefully, NEVER ONCE DID I TELL THE GIRL SHE WAS A DUMBASS.

If you would bother to actually read what was written, you will see that I did not actually call her a dumbass. I do refer to her, here, as a dumbass, for failing to use good judgement.

If you are unable to understand the difference, then, you too, are a dumbass.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    For those of you who do not read carefully, NEVER ONCE DID I TELL THE GIRL SHE WAS A DUMBASS.

If you would bother to actually read what was written, you will see that I did not actually call her a dumbass. I do refer to her, here, as a dumbass, for failing to use good judgement.

Can your employees break the rules you have set if a customer requests it?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Can your employees break the rules you have set if a customer requests it?

My employees ACTUALLY HAVE the authority to use discretion. They are authorized to service the customer, and then tell me, or a manager, after the fact, what they did to properly service the customer. We then assess our rules for needed changes.

We have altered our policies several times.

Just because something makes sense in a handbook or on an instruction form does not mean it actually works well in the real world.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    My employees ACTUALLY HAVE the authority to use discretion. They are authorized to service the customer, and then tell me, or a manager, after the fact, what they did to properly service the customer. We then assess our rules for needed changes.

We have altered our policies several times.

Just because something makes sense in a handbook or on an instruction form does not mean it actually works well in the real world.

Their employees don't have that discretion and giving that authority to the 1000s of employees at a chain as large as RK would be a dumbass decision on the part of RKs management.

Just the farm chemical liability issue alone is massive for them. And that is only one small part of their business.
    You seem to have lost all reasonable thought to this with the current state of government regulation and the litigious society we have become.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    No, actually, their corporate office admitted they have a bad policy and they enforce it nationally but they are looking to change their policy.

So since the corporate office admitted it, then its not me who is unreasonable.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    A few years ago I had to go to Chicago for a remodeling job.
    The customer had some old steel kitchen cabinets that he was replacing, but wanted to re-purpose them. We were supposed to spray-paint them and hang them in the garage.

Went to the local Ace Hardware. After scouring the paint department I had almost determined that Ace didn't carry spray paint. I asked a clerk and was told it was in a display case by the cash registers.

Fine. Go up to the front of the store and find I walked right past it on my way through the store.
    When I looked again, all of the pray paint was in a case, behind lock and key?
    When I asked for assistance I was told you had to hold a contractors license to be allowed the privilege of buying spray paint within the city limits of Chicago. Really?

Due mostly to graffiti, spray paint sales are restricted.

I managed to convince the clerk I was a contractor by producing my business card listing my services. I was also required to show a picture I.D. and information WAS recorded, FOR SPRAY PAINT!

That was the last job I did in Illinois, and likely will remain so.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy

Back at ya buddy. She used good judgement. She was keeping her job. What is so hard to see about that?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

You mean you were truthful and didnt make up stuff like the rest of us;)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not to mention the first thing this site asks for when you register to become a member is your date of birth. So obviously its not that serious of an issue as you all are claiming or you would not be posting here.

Thats to make sure you are at least 13 (the age of consent for website signups apparently) or 21 if its a gun/alcohol/tobacco industry website.

Not quite as nefarious as you think.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom