Apparently I'm not old enough to buy paint at TRACTOR SUPPLY Co.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Your date of birth is information many places use to verify who you are.
    If you start giving that information away, then it is easier for someone to steal your identity and ruin your credit.

And, I've seen Melensdad. There is no way he, or I for that matter, will be mistaken for being under 18.

There are some states that have laws about selling to under 18 and having to ID people that look under a certain age. Some retailers may instruct their employees to ID if people look under a certain age. Some instruct employees to ID everyone. There will be the employees that just key in a number to avoid asking because they know some people get butthurt.

They ask me for my birthday, and I make something up.
    They ask me for my phone number, I tell them 867-5309 and the morons NEVER catch on.

Or they most likely don't care. They're following procedure (with paints, possibly state laws corporate is based in) and keeping themselves out of trouble.

Let me provide a managerial bit of input to this, as I have been in retail management for the past 9 years. Thankfully, I have four work days left and I leave the industry forever, I hope.

The cashier is just doing what she was told to do. Calling her a dumbass or a drone (looking at you, Melensdad) isn't the right response. She's just trying to keep her job, maybe feed her family and keep a roof over her head. We all have at least one thing we have to do at work that we think is stupid, but we keep doing it to keep our jobs (don't get me started on my DOT rant). I've seen a lot of whining and moaning and complaining, but not once have I seen the OP say "I called and talked to the manager" or "I called corporate and gave them an earfull." She might have said something to her manager, but they still don't have the whole story and won't until you talk to them. Whining to us about an unfair policy does nothing. We can't change TSC's policy, only they can.

I challenge OP to go back to the store, talk to a manger about the situation and reply back with what happens. If I were running the store, I'd be flabbergasted at the situtation and would make sure I would do whatever it took to fix it. And by god, I'd give him the cans of spray paint on the house for the trouble, without ID. If the OP talks to the manager and gets stonewalled, then there's a problem. Until then, OP is just whining and it does no good.

The manager may have to talk to TSC corporate before trying to change policy for the local store. Tennessee has different state laws that deal with the ages you can legally buy spray paint and other inhalants. Being that TSC corporate is in TN., they most likely have a policy that requires ID'ing customers buying spray paint and other possible inhalants (the law I found wasn't mentioning vandalism at all, just inhalant use) to meet the state laws of nobody under 18 legally being allowed to purchase.

I do agree though, just because some employees realize the policy may be stupid and input random numbers to avoid the ID part of the transaction, the cashier wasn't necessarily a dumbass.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Your date of birth is information many places use to verify who you are.
    If you start giving that information away, then it is easier for someone to steal your identity and ruin your credit.

And, I've seen Melensdad. There is no way he, or I for that matter, will be mistaken for being under 18.

How do they verify who I am through my birthday??? There are over 19 million people in the world born on the same day

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I went to sears to return a garage door opener. While I was there I needed to get a pair of channel lock pliers. I had cash and I stood there waiting in line while they had to get information off of every person they do business with. Then when it was finally my turn she needed some kind of information like my phone number. I said "for a pair of pliers. I just want to buy the pliers". She said she had to put in it. As I handed her the cash and she reached out for it, I pulled it back and said "phone number please?":)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    How do they verify who I am through my birthday??? There are over 19 million people in the world born on the same day

You've never had to call your bank or credit card?

You say, hi I'm so and so. I have a question about my account.
    They say, could you please give us your date of birth and/or mother's maiden name?

There are other questions.

But the more info you put out, the easier it is for someone.
    Thats why you are told not to give out personal info, social security info, date of birth, etc.
    And to shred mail.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I pulled it back and said "phone number please?":)

Well aren't you a clever one. I worked in the returns department at Dicks sporting goods in college, same policy, also had to deal with people being jerks like you.

IT IS NOT THE CASHIER'S FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it bugs you people so freaking much, be polite, then go home and find the phone number to the corporate office. I GUARANTEE you that NOBODY inside the store is responsible for the policy. All you're doing is making somebody's life miserable when you do things like that.

You're lucky the cashier had to be polite or risk being fired, because the cashier was definitely cussing you out in their head.

*end rant*

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    This is the heart of the issue. We have found ourselves surrounded by a society which has become a mass of people who operate from the neck down. Thinking has definitely gone out of fashion.

It was by design.

The public school system in this country is the near perfect vision from Karl Marx who fine tuned the Prussian model.

America is doomed, if for no other reason, than because of the (communist modeled) public school system.

Luckily more and more Americans are home schooling, unfortunately that number will likely never dwarf the welfare state's draw to free breakfast and lunch served at the state run indoctrination day camps.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Let me provide a managerial bit of input to this, as I have been in retail management for the past 9 years. . . . but not once have I seen the OP say "I called and talked to the manager" or "I called corporate and gave them an earfull." . . .

Regarding the first point, I currently own a cigar lounge (retail outlet) and previously have owned a chain of retail stores (among other things).

Regarding the second point, I did indicate that I contacted corporate, apparently you did not read very carefully.

If it bugs you people so freaking much, be polite, then go home and find the phone number to the corporate office.
    Apparently you don't read very carefully either. I did contact corporate.

It was by design.

The public school system in this country is the near perfect vision from Karl Marx who fine tuned the Prussian model.

America is doomed, if for no other reason, than because of the (communist modeled) public school system.

Luckily more and more Americans are home schooling, unfortunately that number will likely never dwarf the welfare state's draw to free breakfast and lunch served at the state run indoctrination day camps.
    Totally agree with you on this.

Homeschooling is growing rapidly, sadly its still a TINY % of the population, but its growing and that is good. Vouchers are good too, with any luck they will continue to expand and more people will be able to pick and choose their kids schools, voting with their feet. Ditto private schooling, which was the choice for my child. And I was involved in each of the 3 private schools she attended. Parents must stop the training of sheep, which is what the public schools are very good at doing.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    They ask me for my birthday, and I make something up.
    They ask me for my phone number, I tell them 867-5309 and the morons NEVER catch on.
    I had one say, "That's not your number," to which I said, "Are you sure?" and they said, "Yes, that's Jenny."

I was surprised :).

Now I'm prepared for such an outcome... :):

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    You've never had to call your bank or credit card?

You say, hi I'm so and so. I have a question about my account.
    They say, could you please give us your date of birth and/or mother's maiden name?

There are other questions.

But the more info you put out, the easier it is for someone.
    Thats why you are told not to give out personal info, social security info, date of birth, etc.
    And to shred mail.

You are comparing apples to oranges.
    1. Ive never been asked for my name at tractor supply
    2. What you are describing is an answer to a security question that you have provided so that no one can call up and say," hi, im peter piper and id like to close all my accounts and withdraw the funds"

I wonder when the bank asks for your d.o.b. if your response is: Hell no! I trust you with my money, not my date of birth. That is for privileged friends and family only"

Not to mention the first thing this site asks for when you register to become a member is your date of birth. So obviously its not that serious of an issue as you all are claiming or you would not be posting here.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    it also helps to memorize alaska, guam, and hawaii zip codes. whats better than to skew the stats? Beat them at their own game. Hell, if we all do it maybe we can make people in a distant land wonder why they are suddenly getting flyers for a store that doesnt exist within 2000 miles?. LOL

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    She doesn't own the store, she gets paid by the hour. A dumb ass would have risked their job by typing in a fake birth date just to make you happy.

This.

I have lost all respect for the op.

I was one of these employees for a few years.
    I'm sure the op wouldn't of paid her pay check had she been caught/fired for breaking the rules.

When I was making double min. wage being a clerk in a larger box store, I was going to college, paying rent and utilities, car payment and insurance, and food. Nothing important.

Risking my job and everything else for your can of spray paint wasn't worth it.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I'm only 21 and don't smoke.
    My mother smokes and occasionally she will ask me to pick her up a pack.
    Many times I am not carded, and the receipt will list my birthday as some crazy date like 1906 or something like that.
    Now, they have seen my ID before, we use to own a convenience store, and I only carded a customer once, remembered their face, and didn't card them again. So I know some places don't care if the cashier puts in a fake DOB.

If TSC managers tell them they have to enter a DOB, and not make one up, then that is what they will do. Why would they risk their job? It doesn't matter if she is a drone, if she is being PAID to be one. And you may think otherwise, but a manager is not going to give you the paint for free and send you on your way. The manager is suppose to back up the employee in front of the customer, they may apologize and say " I'm very sorry sir, but it's a corporate policy ". The manger might ignore policy and sell you the paint anyway himself or herself, but wont make the employee do it, and wont give it to you for free.

And anyone who has ever worked in retail or a restaurant will know about stupid customers. The employee will laugh at you all day, and laugh about the incident with other employees. People like me will follow the policy TO THE LETTER just to keep entertained. We live for moments when a customer flips out.

Chesh97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    NE Indiana
    Im confused, whats wrong with them knowing your age of birth? I realize that its a stupid policy but what ill effects do you get from them knowing your age? Id rather just give them my age so that i dont waste gas driving to another place. After that though i wouldnt be back.

Because these are people with first world problems! :( I can't believe the way some of these people act. Is it really necessary to spend every day of your life being an *******? Must be a sad life they live.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Well aren't you a clever one. I worked in the returns department at Dicks sporting goods in college, same policy, also had to deal with people being jerks like you.

IT IS NOT THE CASHIER'S FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it bugs you people so freaking much, be polite, then go home and find the phone number to the corporate office. I GUARANTEE you that NOBODY inside the store is responsible for the policy. All you're doing is making somebody's life miserable when you do things like that.

You're lucky the cashier had to be polite or risk being fired, because the cashier was definitely cussing you out in their head.

*end rant*
    Sounds like you got a job at Dicks because it fit your personality to a tee.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Sounds like you got a job at Dicks because it fit your personality to a tee.

:dunno: or because that's what the customers act like?

Cashiers are paid hourly, not on commission. Couldn't care less if you buy your paint here, ammo here, food here, or not. Get paid the same, still get 40 hours a week, and following policy. While if we don't follow policy, bad reviews, smaller raises, less hours. That " Customer is always right " attitude people have is hilarious. I remember one time this guy had a large order of food, and didn't like that other people were served before him. Explained that it will take awhile to cook, and we were sorry, and will get it to him as soon as we can. He started getting impatient, and then started cussing with the manager.

Free food you think? Heck no

" I don't need your money, here, have a good day " and he went packing.

Top Bottom