Apparently I'm not old enough to buy paint at TRACTOR SUPPLY Co.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    Oh I totally agree.

She doesn't care if she sells me something or not, she still gets her minimum wage clerk pay.

She doesn't realize that all the other clerks are smart enough to realize that this is a stupid policy and just plug in any random date and complete the sale. She doesn't even realize that the company policy is pretty silly. She is just a stupid drone.

minimum wage...stupid drone...stay classy. :rolleyes:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Oh I totally agree.

She doesn't care if she sells me something or not, she still gets her minimum wage clerk pay.

She doesn't realize that all the other clerks are smart enough to realize that this is a stupid policy and just plug in any random date and complete the sale. She doesn't even realize that the company policy is pretty silly. She is just a stupid drone.

So, you don't want to lie but its OK if she tells the lie for you? :stickpoke:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Meh... Get with a manager and discuss the issue [and then still refuse to buy the paint regardless.]?

I do this quite often. If a policy is not a pain in the neck for the person who made it, it never gets changed. The average clerk has NO power.

Well over a year ago, when the manager at Dicks told me their policy of having to punch in info off your drivers license was from above her, I asked for a contact at that level. She said she didn't have time so I wrote a nice complete letter to the corporate office, noting her lack of concern for my satisfaction. Never heard a word back. They have not seen a dime from my household since. Pretty dumb, because I have 3 grandsons that all play ball, and a grand daughter that probably will also. There are other places to buy overpriced sports gear so I can spoil the grandkids.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Well let's see, she is a dumbass. That is not petty name calling. That is fact.

FWIW, I complained about the policy to corporate and awaiting a reply. And no other clerk has ever had an issue with me not providing my information and every other one has sold me paint, chemicals, etc.

Further, its not a LAW to insure that the customer is 18. Its a policy. Whereas your tobacco example is actually enforced by both Indiana and Federal code. So yes, younger customers are carded. In fact tobacco retailers are REQUIRED to card anyone who looks under the age of 27.

However that is legally very different than a STORE POLICY that says it won't sell to someone under the age of 18 and then does NOT require proof that the person is ACTUALLY 18 years old.

So equating a law to a policy, as you have done, that seems pretty silly. At very least its a bad comparison.

Many stores go above the 27 requirement. They use 40 as their number. Some clerks don't worry about it while some do. It doesn't make them dumbasses. It most likely means they don't want to get fired for not following policy even though the policy is still stupid.

Btw, I don't get butthurt if someone cards me for a lottery ticket or some tobacco product. If they ask, they'll usually get a correct month, incorrect day, and correct year. They don't care if you lie to them.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I remember getting the "Back to School" supply lists when MiniJet was in elementary school.
    Some of the things we had to buy were "White Out" and "Rubber Cement". Both of those get flagged at the register. Had to be over 18 to buy them...but then put them in the hands of a 10 year old and send them on their way. Nutty.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    It is the huffing.... There are state laws down here in FL that restrict the sale of some aerosols and paint thinner type products to minors.

Is it illegal to provide paint to a minor? Pretty soon they are gonna round up all those art teachers and throw them in federal prison. Then Rambone will be on here posting to end the senseless war on pigment.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I'm getting sick of the age policy at TRACTOR SUPLLY CO when you buy something as simple as a can of spray paint :xmad:

I don't give my birthday.

I don't give my phone number.

I don't give my address.

But I will give my Zip Code.

Today I walked into T.S.C. and picked up a $2.99 can of John Deere "green" spray paint. Walked up to the register and waiting in line. Pulled out 4 $1.00 bills and the girl running the register asked for my birthday. I have to be 18 years old to buy it, she needs to key in my birthday to 'prove' that I am old enough to buy a can of paint.

Apparently ONLY kids under the age of 18 "huff" paint to get high?

In the past when I refuse to give my birthday the clerks do something and then sell me my paint, chemical or other "restricted" item.

NOT TODAY.

My grey hair, grey beard and wrinkled skin are not enough to prove I'm over 18 :oldwise:

Clerk shrugged. Said she can't sell me paint without me first providing my birthday. Took those 4 singles with George Washington printed on them and put them back into my wallet and walked off, can of paint still sitting on the counter and the girl, with a dumbstruck look on her face standing there. Now I presume that the other clerks working there make up a date, or plug in their own birthday? Not this girl. She was stupid enough to allow a paying customer to walk out of the store.

Dumb*** :noway:

Meh... Get with a manager and discuss the issue [and then still refuse to buy the paint regardless.]?

Kudos to You, I Refuse to be a Sheeple and Vote with MY $$'s. The Manager and Corporate would get an earful. I Refuse to shop at Kroger because of an arbitrary age policy restriction. You want Photo ID, then you better be the Police :patriot:

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Im confused, whats wrong with them knowing your age of birth? I realize that its a stupid policy but what ill effects do you get from them knowing your age? Id rather just give them my age so that i dont waste gas driving to another place. After that though i wouldnt be back.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Im confused, whats wrong with them knowing your age of birth? I realize that its a stupid policy but what ill effects do you get from them knowing your age? Id rather just give them my age so that i dont waste gas driving to another place. After that though i wouldnt be back.

Your date of birth is information many places use to verify who you are.
    If you start giving that information away, then it is easier for someone to steal your identity and ruin your credit.

And, I've seen Melensdad. There is no way he, or I for that matter, will be mistaken for being under 18.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Your date of birth is information many places use to verify who you are.
    If you start giving that information away, then it is easier for someone to steal your identity and ruin your credit.

And, I've seen Melensdad. There is no way he, or I for that matter, will be mistaken for being under [strike] 18.[/strike] 30, or 40, or even . . .

FIFY

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    My dad had an issue at Rural King. He spends a couple hundred bucks a week on dog food (4 newfies and 2 St. Bernards) and usually picks up a few boxes of ammo or wherever. He finally had enough of it when they were writing his phone number and DL# on the check that he was paying with. She started scribbling the DL# and he finally asked why, she said "because that's what they tell me to do." Apparently he have a pretty good rant because after he recovered the check and DL he left with three other customers following him, abandoning their items on the belt. When it was all said and done they wanted DL#, phone#, DOB, address and full name. If somebody wanted to use that information for nefarious purposes he'd have already given them everything on one slip of paper. People wonder why their identities get stolen.

Tell your old man to stop writing checks. Problem solved.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    Let me provide a managerial bit of input to this, as I have been in retail management for the past 9 years. Thankfully, I have four work days left and I leave the industry forever, I hope.

The cashier is just doing what she was told to do. Calling her a dumbass or a drone (looking at you, Melensdad) isn't the right response. She's just trying to keep her job, maybe feed her family and keep a roof over her head. We all have at least one thing we have to do at work that we think is stupid, but we keep doing it to keep our jobs (don't get me started on my DOT rant). I've seen a lot of whining and moaning and complaining, but not once have I seen the OP say "I called and talked to the manager" or "I called corporate and gave them an earfull." She might have said something to her manager, but they still don't have the whole story and won't until you talk to them. Whining to us about an unfair policy does nothing. We can't change TSC's policy, only they can.

I challenge OP to go back to the store, talk to a manger about the situation and reply back with what happens. If I were running the store, I'd be flabbergasted at the situtation and would make sure I would do whatever it took to fix it. And by god, I'd give him the cans of spray paint on the house for the trouble, without ID. If the OP talks to the manager and gets stonewalled, then there's a problem. Until then, OP is just whining and it does no good.

Top Bottom