Apparently I'm not old enough to buy paint at TRACTOR SUPPLY Co.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Name: Han Solo

Date of birth: July 4, 1776

Phone Number: (765) 423-9305 (Tippecanoe County Prosecuting Attorney)

Don't get me started about my epic battles with Payless over the discount card. I shut down a lane for 20 minutes once.:laugh:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Name: Han Solo

Date of birth: July 4, 1776

Phone Number: (765) 423-9305 (Tippecanoe County Prosecuting Attorney)

Don't get me started about my epic battles with Payless over the discount card. I shut down a lane for 20 minutes once.:laugh:
    I've always had them ask me for ID and then they just keyed it in from my DL. I mean they could ask - and I could give them just any random information as indicated in this thread ... how would they know any better without some sort of verification?

Silly to ask and not verify - waste of time and energy.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Kind of like being told by the dealer that you have to fill out a credit app for a vehicle that you paid cash in full.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    She was stupid enough to allow a paying customer to walk out of the store.

Dumb*** :noway:

I'm guessing this girl won't even give a second thought about you taking your whole $4 elsewhere and what it'll mean to her career as a cashier at TSC...or on the other hand she thought you were too stubborn to give her your birthday in order to walk out the door with it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm guessing this girl won't even give a second thought about you taking your whole $4 elsewhere and what it'll mean to her career as a cashier at TSC...or on the other hand she thought you were too stubborn to give her your birthday in order to walk out the door with it.
    Oh I totally agree.

She doesn't care if she sells me something or not, she still gets her minimum wage clerk pay.

She doesn't realize that all the other clerks are smart enough to realize that this is a stupid policy and just plug in any random date and complete the sale. She doesn't even realize that the company policy is pretty silly. She is just a stupid drone.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    You can't blame the girl, you can get fired for putting in a false birthday for the purpose of selling something that the corp says you need a birthday for.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    melensdad;4256233 She is just a stupid drone.[/QUOTE said:
    This is the heart of the issue. We have found ourselves surrounded by a society which has become a mass of people who operate from the neck down. Thinking has definitely gone out of fashion.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I have a complete fake identity I use for stuff like this. I also use it for various web sites that I want to log in to. I have a full name, birth date, address, phone number and even a working email. I've used it so much I actually have it memorized. I don't use it for anything that could get me in trouble but it does come in handy.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    ...Can't you give them the wrong b-day?

Rusty Shackleford

...Simple solution though if you really want to buy products from that store. Give them a false DOB.

cant you just give them a made up birthday to save yourself the hassle?

I have a complete fake identity I use for stuff like this. I also use it for various web sites that I want to log in to. I have a full name, birth date, address, phone number and even a working email. I've used it so much I actually have it memorized. I don't use it for anything that could get me in trouble but it does come in handy.
    Why do you, or I, have to LIE to buy a legitimate product when its obvious that I am roughly TRIPLE the store's minimum age to buy the product?

Why are you so willing to LIE rather than to simply stand up for a legitimate purchase of an item for a legitimate purpose?

What examples are you setting for your children by encouraging lying?

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Why do you, or I, have to LIE to buy a legitimate product when its obvious that I am roughly TRIPLE the store's minimum age to buy the product?

They are making a ridiculous request so I am giving them a ridiculous response. Why should I let them control my actions?

Why are you so willing to LIE rather than to simply stand up for a legitimate purchase of an item for a legitimate purpose?

By giving them information that cannot possibly be used for its intended purpose, I AM standing up for my legitimacy while at the same time avoiding the inevitable unproductive hassle I would have to deal with if I addressed it directly.

Since my kids are old enough to understand the situation, I would say I'm happy with my example. Younger children may have to handled differently. :twocents:

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy

Well, it gives the kid a jumpstart to a political career.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    They are making a ridiculous request so I am giving them a ridiculous response. Why should I let them control my actions?
    I think they did control your actions, they made you LIE.

By giving them information that cannot possibly be used for its intended purpose, I AM standing up for my legitimacy while at the same time avoiding the inevitable unproductive hassle I would have to deal with if I addressed it directly.
    Uh, no, that is not true. And perhaps if you walk out and make them put it away, then talk with the manager the next time you are there, or perhaps complain to corporate, then that would actually be a productive hassle as opposed to an unproductive hassle.

Since my kids are old enough to understand the situation, I would say I'm happy with my example. Younger children may have to handled differently. :twocents:
    OK, sure.

Well, it gives the kid a jumpstart to a political career.
    Exactly.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

What example are you setting by getting online to complain about how stupid someone is for following the policies where they work, even if those policies don't make sense? If you're an adult, act like it. Resorting to petty name calling via the net isn't going to teach that young lady about a policy being stupid. If you don't like it, go talk to a manager about it.

Btw, if I'm correct, you own a cigar shop...right? I've seen plenty of 14, 15, 16, and 17 year old kids that appear to be in their early 20's by physical appearance. I'm sure you'd want clerks to check ID. I'm sure some stupid clerk may have even carded someone that was 24 or 25 since I know that I get carded at times and I've been above the legal age for quite awhile (and it isn't that difficult to assume I'm not under 18 by the visible tattoos and long, full beard).

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I think they did control your actions, they made you LIE.
    And they made you have to drive to a different store to get what you wanted. You are being manipulated too, just in a different way. I just chose to have it work in my favor. As far as lying, yes, I lied to them and I'm not ashamed of it in the least and feel no need to justify it.

Uh, no, that is not true. And perhaps if you walk out and make them put it away, then talk with the manager the next time you are there, or perhaps complain to corporate, then that would actually be a productive hassle as opposed to an unproductive hassle.
    It may not be true for you if you did it, but it is for me. I choose my battles. There may come a time when this is one I wish to fight. Right now the actions I choose to take are as far as I wish to go. If all the info they gather is useless, I doubt they would continue the practice.

We may not agree on this but that's OK. That's still allowed around here and I've read enough of what you've posted in the past to know that your opinions still have value. :ingo:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    What example are you setting by getting online to complain about how stupid someone is for following the policies where they work, even if those policies don't make sense? If you're an adult, act like it. Resorting to petty name calling via the net isn't going to teach that young lady about a policy being stupid. If you don't like it, go talk to a manager about it.

Btw, if I'm correct, you own a cigar shop...right? I've seen plenty of 14, 15, 16, and 17 year old kids that appear to be in their early 20's by physical appearance. I'm sure you'd want clerks to check ID. I'm sure some stupid clerk may have even carded someone that was 24 or 25 since I know that I get carded at times and I've been above the legal age for quite awhile (and it isn't that difficult to assume I'm not under 18 by the visible tattoos and long, full beard).

Well let's see, she is a dumbass. That is not petty name calling. That is fact.

FWIW, I complained about the policy to corporate and awaiting a reply. And no other clerk has ever had an issue with me not providing my information and every other one has sold me paint, chemicals, etc.

Further, its not a LAW to insure that the customer is 18. Its a policy. Whereas your tobacco example is actually enforced by both Indiana and Federal code. So yes, younger customers are carded. In fact tobacco retailers are REQUIRED to card anyone who looks under the age of 27.

However that is legally very different than a STORE POLICY that says it won't sell to someone under the age of 18 and then does NOT require proof that the person is ACTUALLY 18 years old.

So equating a law to a policy, as you have done, that seems pretty silly. At very least its a bad comparison.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I'm getting sick of the age policy at TRACTOR SUPLLY CO when you buy something as simple as a can of spray paint :xmad:

I don't give my birthday.

I don't give my phone number.

I don't give my address.

But I will give my Zip Code.

Today I walked into T.S.C. and picked up a $2.99 can of John Deere "green" spray paint. Walked up to the register and waiting in line. Pulled out 4 $1.00 bills and the girl running the register asked for my birthday. I have to be 18 years old to buy it, she needs to key in my birthday to 'prove' that I am old enough to buy a can of paint.

Apparently ONLY kids under the age of 18 "huff" paint to get high?

In the past when I refuse to give my birthday the clerks do something and then sell me my paint, chemical or other "restricted" item.

NOT TODAY.

My grey hair, grey beard and wrinkled skin are not enough to prove I'm over 18 :oldwise:

Clerk shrugged. Said she can't sell me paint without me first providing my birthday. Took those 4 singles with George Washington printed on them and put them back into my wallet and walked off, can of paint still sitting on the counter and the girl, with a dumbstruck look on her face standing there. Now I presume that the other clerks working there make up a date, or plug in their own birthday? Not this girl. She was stupid enough to allow a paying customer to walk out of the store.

Dumb*** :noway:
    She was just doing what she was told to do and paid money to do it

Top Bottom