Anyone ever broken the safety on their 1911?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My daughter rocks a .44 Special Bull dog most of the time EDC. She is deadly with it inside 10 yds.
    It was mine until she shot it. Tried it in her purse etc. I only see it at the range>>>:)

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    ​FIXED IT YET??????????????????????
    Yup. Did it last night. I was kinda pissed though. Who'da thought that these had to be fitted!? :rolleyes:
    At least I now have 1 part that SERparacord approves of! Doubled the value of my inferior pistol! (Purple where applicable!)

All the reviews I read, (Other than those from people that expected a drop in part), said that these Wilson Combat parts are WAAAY oversized! They weren't lying! Had to take off way more material than I was expecting, but fit and operation are pretty darn good! And I REALLY like the extended lever!
    100_8355_zpse5151145.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Glad to see that it's fixed. An extended thumb safety was one of the first things I did to my RIA. They are a great addition to any 1911.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Near every hi-end piece you buy has to be fitted.

This is true. Not only will most high end parts need to be fit to the gun, but there is a squence of fitting that should be followed too. IIRC, it's trigger, sear/hammer, thumb safety and then grip safety. If you fit a new grip safety and then replace the trigger, you could find yourself replacing the grip safety again if the original does not fit the new grip safety correctly. When you drop a new sear in, you might have to replace the thumb safety at the same time if the new sear does not fit the recently replaced thumb safety perfectly. When I bought my Colt, I fit an extended thumb safety to it. Later, I replaced the sear with a WC tool steel sear and had to refit the thumb safety all over again. I was lucky because the new sear required taking more metal off the thumb safety. Had it been too loose, I would have had to buy another thumb safety and start from scratch.

Top Bottom