Anyone ever broken the safety on their 1911?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Near every hi-end piece you buy has to be fitted.
    Oh, I know. I was being sarcastic! On page one of this thread, (Oh so long ago!), Everyone told me a new safety needed fitted, (Already knew this, BTW), instead of answering the initial question! (Does anyone have a spare they'd sell).
    I'm happy with the new part, and like I said before. Hopefully, since I bought a quality part, I'll never need to mess with it again!

...Actually... Am I going to need to replace this one, when I put a new hammer and sear in it?

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    This is true. Not only will most high end parts need to be fit to the gun, but there is a squence of fitting that should be followed too. IIRC, it's trigger, sear/hammer, thumb safety and then grip safety. If you fit a new grip safety and then replace the trigger, you could find yourself replacing the grip safety again if the original does not fit the new grip safety correctly. When you drop a new sear in, you might have to replace the thumb safety at the same time if the new sear does not fit the recently replaced thumb safety perfectly. When I bought my Colt, I fit an extended thumb safety to it. Later, I replaced the sear with a WC tool steel sear and had to refit the thumb safety all over again. I was lucky because the new sear required taking more metal off the thumb safety. Had it been too loose, I would have had to buy another thumb safety and start from scratch.
    Seconds ahead of me! Thanks man! I really don't mind, if I have to do it all over again. It's STILL good practice, on a $450 piece, instead of on a $1000+ build!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Oh, I know. I was being sarcastic! On page one of this thread, (Oh so long ago!), Everyone told me a new safety needed fitted, (Already knew this, BTW), instead of answering the initial question! (Does anyone have a spare they'd sell).
    I'm happy with the new part, and like I said before. Hopefully, since I bought a quality part, I'll never need to mess with it again!

...Actually... Am I going to need to replace this one, when I put a new hammer and sear in it?

Not necessarily, it could go either way, it may be overcut for a new sear or you may find yourself having to remove a little more.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Why do you want a new hammer/sear, sorry if I missed it in an earlier post?
    I didn't mention it, but those are next on the list of parts that could be as questionable as the factory safety. A machine is only the sum of it's parts. If I load it up with good parts, the sum is clearly higher! (Unless SERparacord is doing the math!)

The trigger is actually quite nice... for now... I'd hate for my hammer or sear to fail like the safety did.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Replacing a hammer and sear are a fairly common upgrade for production 1911s. The tool steel used in a good replacement sear, like a Wilson Combat Bulletproof Sear hold their edge better and can give a nicer break. When replacing the hammer and sear, you need to check the fit to see if you need to do addtional fitting to the new parts. Like I mentioned above, when I did my Colt, the safety needed fit to the new sear and hammer. It may be because the Colt sear was under spec size when put in an Ed Brown sear jig. That's one of the reasons I replaced it, so YMMV.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'd probably save up the parts and do it in one shot Phil. If and when I (probably more like when) I break something on mine I am going to go the same route. If the frame and slide are good I am going to keep on going with it. I have had a lot of fun with this thing. It was the second trigger job I did. It's fun to work on. I have learned a lot! It's my first new pistol. It means something to me. Hopefully I can pass it on to my son.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You only need a jig for those gold plated 1911's. :laugh:

I know right.....:)

I actually pulled my GSG down and loved up all the internals on it yesterday. I seldom shoot it. It is a teaching tool for the female family and friends and the nieces/nephews. They all love it. Trigger pulled off at near 6#. Spent some time and now straight up 4# and crisp.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar

I actually pulled my GSG down and loved up all the internals on it yesterday. I seldom shoot it. It is a teaching tool for the female family and friends and the nieces/nephews. They all love it. Trigger pulled off at near 6#. Spent some time and now straight up 4# and crisp.

4# is about as light as I go. I've done 2# and found it too touchy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    4# is about as light as I go. I've done 2# and found it too touchy.

4# is good for the use. I was going for 4.5 but the stock spring that comes in those guns feels like a truck spring. I used one from my stash (Springer most likely) stiffen it up for the 4# I ended up with.
    My Loaded is 3.7 and it is pretty twitchy.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County

Don't tell SERparacord that your GSG is just an ATI! He'll be forced to :poop: on it!

Top Bottom