Anyone ever broken the safety on their 1911?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'll keep an eye on her for sure, but I still see no reason to discount the brands! How much do you think maintenance plays into it? Tired recoil spring at 1000 rounds, never replaced, 4000 rounds later, frame/slide have beat themselves up...

I think maintenance does come into play as any gun shot with tired springs is going to beat itself up. You can forestall wear in most mechanical devices with proper lube. Lube does not help with broken parts, but the slide, barrel and frame don't break often in 1911s. The barrel feet can break if the gun is not set up correctly but I don't recall that being an issue in the Philly 1911s like it was with an early batch of Remingtons.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'll keep an eye on her for sure, but I still see no reason to discount the brands! How much do you think maintenance plays into it? Tired recoil spring at 1000 rounds, never replaced, 4000 rounds later, frame/slide have beat themselves up...

Watch the ears on the slide stop guide rod. Pay attention to the areas 88 mentions. No different than maintaining any machine. If it makes a funny noise or feels weird look it over.
    As I have mentioned in other threads, after working my way up to the level of shooting I am enjoying (not Wilson etc but one day) I just do not want to go backwards. Not discounting the Philly guns just like knowing what I like and sticking with it. Most always ends the same way. Me going home from the range with a :poop: eating grin

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Watch the ears on the slide stop guide rod. Pay attention to the areas 88 mentions. No different than maintaining any machine. If it makes a funny noise or feels weird look it over.
    As I have mentioned in other threads, after working my way up to the level of shooting I am enjoying (not Wilson etc but one day) I just do not want to go backwards. Not discounting the Philly guns just like knowing what I like and sticking with it. Most always ends the same way. Me going home from the range with a :poop: eating grin
    All we can ask for!

Russellhjoy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, but only when I try to blend it too close. The svi safeties seem really weak compared to the brown. Never broken a brown but I think it also has something to do with the safety having something to rest on other than the joint

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    the old Auto Ordinance's where ****..........glad there makin' them better now....

I know cause I had one. The absolute worst gun I ever owned.
    Kahr has bought out the name and retooled/moved the facility if my info is correct. The gun is well made. No way to see into the metallurgy but the stainless seems to be well machined.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I know cause I had one. The absolute worst gun I ever owned.
    Kahr has bought out the name and retooled/moved the facility if my info is correct. The gun is well made. No way to see into the metallurgy but the stainless seems to be well machined.

that is how i know there **** too......mine would lock up after 4 mags back to back!!!!!.....this was in the middle 80's....traded it for a S&W airweight 37....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    that is how i know there **** too......mine would lock up after 4 mags back to back!!!!!.....this was in the middle 80's....traded it for a S&W airweight 37....

I was trying to rectify the same issue on mine. Mid-80's. I was loading it for EDC and the hammer followed the slide and there is still a hole in the bench at my shop.
    If my skills were at current levels I would have fixed it and sold it but they were not so I cut it up in the band saw and sent it to the dump.

Top Bottom