• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Struck me as odd they would only have 1 officer to handle any kind of security issue (fights, check doors, walk halls etc) on a school campus spanning 45 acres with more than 3200 students. To me that just seems retarded! Why would you have 1 officer on a campus that size with that many people?

That officer isn't necessarily security. He is there to deal with disciplinary issues and various law enforcement related activities at the school.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That officer isn't necessarily security. He is there to deal with disciplinary issues and various law enforcement related activities at the school.

Still doesn't seem like much presence to me. When I was in middle school/ high school there were like 3-4 officers there and we didn't have near that many students and the schools were much smaller.
    With the knowledge of so many such events having occurred previously, I can't imagine why they didn't feel a need for more.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Newt Gingrich just made some comments that I was impressed with.
    I was expecting him to compromise and Rino-Up but he didn't.

Should I be worried?

Newt Gingrich: After the Florida shootings, here's a practical proposal to protect our children | Fox News

I believe this is what a lot of us would like to see. It, in my opinion, makes the most sense. Is it the end all to school shootings, no. But i truly believe it is probably one of the better options we have moving forward, especially without further infringements on our rights.

stoneytoney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2014
    indy
    I don't know about police in FL but police here LOVE OVERTIME! When people think of having an armed person they always think of mall security for some odd reason. My brother, in law enforcement picks up shifts at night clubs, public transportation, apartment patrols, and yes, even school buses. I would hope the state / township wouldn't skimp out on this measure of security. And if your high school has a college campus theme, you have enough money for multiple officers.

Just watched the movie "My Friend Dahmer." SORRY FOR THE SPOILER, but I think it relates. Shows his childhood life of the serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer. Had a pet cemetery at a very young age, because his father was a scientist and the father thought it was a good way to get Jeff into chemistry. Jeff was often seen picking up road kill for his cemetery daily. One instance he shows his classmates his cemetery, and they just run away in terror and call him names. Being a introvert of course, he tries to make friends. He starts making fun of this interior designer in the middle of the hallway during passing period. Some people were very creeped out, some thought it was funny. So a group of boys (not on the "popular" list either) bring him in. Starts making Jeff do these "episodes" everywhere, to a point it becomes sad watching it. His parents always argued, but at the same time, was never abusive to him. His mother was battling some type of addiction, and would sometimes relapse. Father was in the lab all the time, so was rarely at home. Jeff picked up drinking, and would come to school reeking of alcohol. At the end of the movie, he picks up a hitch hike, and it ends. The hitch hiker was his first of 17 murders.

My point of telling you all of this. If you were any of the people (his parents, classmates, teachers) that seen Jeff before this killings At what point of time would you tell somebody (principal, teachers,LE,e FBI, DEA, SWAT, POTUS) about this "weird" behavior to prevent 17 young men being murdered?

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I believe this is what a lot of us would like to see. It, in my opinion, makes the most sense. Is it the end all to school shootings, no. But i truly believe it is probably one of the better options we have moving forward, especially without further infringements on our rights.

Newt Gingrich just made some comments that I was impressed with.
    I was expecting him to compromise and Rino-Up but he didn't.

Should I be worried?

Newt Gingrich: After the Florida shootings, here's a practical proposal to protect our children | Fox News

I said that years ago, in church, and I go to church with about 10-15 teachers, principals, etc. Boy....you would have thought I said I was the devil. They all thought I was nuts and it was a terrible idea. Truth be known, most of them people have no care in resolving school shootings.....they just want to further their agenda. It's not about life and death, it's about taking guns and trampling our rights.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Something I found interesting earlier. If you go by "school shooting" numbers, President Bush had 56 school shootings in his 8 years, President Clinton had 56 in 8 years and Obama had 136...but Trump numbers are averaging less than Obama.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Something I found interesting earlier. If you go by "school shooting" numbers, President Bush had 56 school shootings in his 8 years, President Clinton had 56 in 8 years and Obama had 136, with a Democratic House and Senate.....and 2 of the deadliest shootings during his years. Don't understand why they all want to blame Trump.......

Elections are coming up.

Outrage is a good fund raising tool. Follow the money.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    On the number of school liaison officers and size of school. My high school had about 1200 and at least three officers. This was back when you could just walk in without even being buzzed in. I'm sure the number is higher now. There is at least one officer in ALL schools in vigo county since Sandy Hook. Being as the school in Florida was multiply levels and buildings, one officer and one security person doesn't cut it anymore.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Fortifying the schools in some way sounds like a decent start. Have one active entrance for visitors once school had started. Now if their is only one way in , you can put some type of deterrent behind it. You could prolly post some old fart with a revolver, maybe some volunteer with a stun gun. I was thinking about this at work, the premise is to stop the crazy killer the moment they get into the school. If the school boards wont allow lethal means , what about the non lethal , and by that i mean a 20ga with bean bag rounds. What about those 22lr rounds that are sub sonic, if a hit to center mass incapacitates the perp, and they get medical attention and not die, could we deem a 22 pistol non lethal? Would we get alot more volunteers to defend a door if they knew that killing the bad guy was not the main objective, just stopping them till the police arrived was. What about some teachers with concealed "less than lethal" carry? The powers that be do not seem like they are willing to arm the staff, even if that may be the way to go, so what is the next best thing? Just spit balling here. Oh and the next time someone says ban the guns, tell em they tried that already. it didnt work. They banned handguns in chicago and D.C. for decades and their was still hundreds and hundreds of people murdered with handguns during that time because criminals dont care about any of the laws they break, thats why they are called criminals.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    On the number of school liaison officers and size of school. My high school had about 1200 and at least three officers. This was back when you could just walk in without even being buzzed in. I'm sure the number is higher now. There is at least one officer in ALL schools in vigo county since Sandy Hook. Being as the school in Florida was multiply levels and buildings, one officer and one security person doesn't cut it anymore.

Precisely the point I was making. I think schools need enough armed security or police presence to be able to effectively patrol the hallways and parking lot as well as be able to effectively lock down the building(s). These things always start in the parking lot. Someone has to get out of a vehicle with their chosen implements of destruction and walk to the building. Monitor parking lots and any drop off/delivery areas very closely. If a threat can be stopped before they get inside the outcome would be so much better

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Something I found interesting earlier. If you go by "school shooting" numbers, President Bush had 56 school shootings in his 8 years, President Clinton had 56 in 8 years and Obama had 136...but Trump numbers are averaging less than Obama.

Randy, any opportunity to spew their hatred is jumped on regardless of facts. It is the new norm.
    If you get into a serious discussion on social media with one who leans this way it matters not what you offer up in facts just as you have. They will sound bite you to death. If you persist with facts/numbers/proof they will become cornered and lash out with labels and name calling. They will not change their minds. The :koolaid: they have drank is strong.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Precisely the point I was making. I think schools need enough armed security or police presence to be able to effectively patrol the hallways and parking lot as well as be able to effectively lock down the building(s). These things always start in the parking lot. Someone has to get out of a vehicle with their chosen implements of destruction and walk to the building. Monitor parking lots and any drop off/delivery areas very closely. If a threat can be stopped before they get inside the outcome would be so much better

I saddens me deeply that we have allowed society to slide this far down. That people can go so far off course, that mental illness is so rampant and we as a society do nothing to address the root causes yet we will harden our schools and businesses. Security cameras in our homes. Night security lights etc and so on.

Sad days indeed.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I saddens me deeply that we have allowed society to slide this far down. That people can go so far off course, that mental illness is so rampant and we as a society do nothing to address the root causes yet we will harden our schools and businesses. Security cameras in our homes. Night security lights etc and so on.

Sad days indeed.

Ahhh. Wisdom

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana

Sad days indeed.

Yup. Being we're about the same age, we both grew up in an era when people rarely locked the doors to their homes .... at least during daytime.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Randy, any opportunity to spew their hatred is jumped on regardless of facts. It is the new norm.
    If you get into a serious discussion on social media with one who leans this way it matters not what you offer up in facts just as you have. They will sound bite you to death. If you persist with facts/numbers/proof they will become cornered and lash out with labels and name calling. They will not change their minds. The :koolaid: they have drank is strong.

You are exactly right. The time I mentioned armed teachers as security in schools, you would have thought I was nuts from the reactions they had. I know when I am somewhere and unarmed, I feel much safer if I see someone else armed and even open carrying. I know criminals usually don't walk around with a 1911 on their hip. I, like many of you...have been around guns my entire life, as long as I can remember. My dad use to let me shoot his 12 gauge, in turkey shoots when I was 5 years old! I was so little they would stand me in a chair and him and his buddy would catch me/gun when it would knock me out of the chair. Heck, that would be child abuse now days!

I guess we all just see it different because we have been raised around guns, respect them and understand the purpose they serve when handled correctly.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom