• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Arm the Teachers, Administrators, Secretaries, Janitors, Parents, etc...and the Guard. (if you even need one now) - and Done.

With all that, you will still have some dirtbag doing what dirtbags do but as least you are giving kids a chance to survive.
    Instead of huddled victims waiting their turn to be shot. So what if 10 people open up on the dirtbag at once. That's way better than what we have now plus it will make the potential dirtbag double think his strategy before hand. Deterrent anyone?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    In the south, there are a lot of schools with breezeways... and I mean a LOT. It would be really difficult to secure, let alone harden such places. In warmer climates, it makes sense to A/C rooms than a whole dang school. Actually enclosed hallways would be a waste of money.
    Have you seen some of the schools in the deep south? Florida has a ton with no halls at all. All rooms open to the outside. The southwest and southern Cali are similar. Everything is wide open. You would need an 8' fence with concertina wire around several acres of buildings to "secure" the place, and it will still not be secure.

Starting to sound like prisons.... Huh.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Arm the Teachers, Administrators, Secretaries, Janitors, Parents, etc...and the Guard. (if you even need one now) - and Done.

With all that, you will still have some dirtbag doing what dirtbags do but as least you are giving kids a chance to survive.
    Instead of huddled victims waiting their turn to be shot. So what if 10 people open up on the dirtbag at once. That's way better than what we have now plus it will make the potential dirtbag double think his strategy before hand. Deterrent anyone?

Not much on being practical are we?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Have you seen some of the schools in the deep south? Florida has a ton with no halls at all. All rooms open to the outside. The southwest and southern Cali are similar. Everything is wide open. You would need an 8' fence with concertina wire around several acres of buildings to "secure" the place, and it will still not be secure.

Starting to sound like prisons.... Huh.

In less affluent areas, they call them "portables."

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg

Deterrent? I thought that only works with OC? I read it here on INGO

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    The amount of liability involved with volunteer school guards would be mind-boggling. Imagine if some 6'3 jock was beating up some nerd... does the volunteer intervene? And what happens if his jock starts whupping up on the volunteer? The volunteer isn't a cop, and has no legal authority. It would just take one instance of "I was in fear for my life" (and what always accompanies that), and it would the end of the world. Even pointing a gun at a kid, and people would lose their #$&%.

Thanks for articulating what I was thinking.

My sister teaches elementary school and some of the kids are simply evil. They know all the limits the teachers are subject to and push buttons right up to the edge. They know how to physically abuse another child right up to the point where the teacher is not permitted to physically intervene. Move those heathens to the high school level and then what? Look at how the juveniles work the system in Chicago with car jackings and police chases, they use the rules of engagement to their advantage.

Until there are a half dozen dead children on the ground there will never be enough training and rules to make any shoot a "Good Shoot" for a teacher killing a child, even if the child is evil and holding a gun.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    One thing that can be done to reduce the number of casualties is to have medical gear available in classrooms (and trained staff).
    I think more and more schools are getting equipped and several companies offer "active shooter response kits".

Gun laws don't have to change for that to happen.

SLINGBAG_Kit__93535.1474903681.1280.1280.jpg

Even if you have armed quards everywhere in the school medical gear will still be needed as the school is in lockdown and EMS can't get to the wounded.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    One thing that can be done to reduce the number of casualties is to have medical gear available in classrooms (and trained staff).
    I think more and more schools are getting equipped and several companies offer "active shooter response kits".

Gun laws don't have to change for that to happen.

SLINGBAG_Kit__93535.1474903681.1280.1280.jpg

Even if you have armed quards everywhere in the school medical gear will still be needed as the school is in lockdown and EMS can't get to the wounded.

That is one of the best ideas I have heard.
    So long as they are somewhat secured and not picked through every time a kid needs a band aid.

My big question on this would be as officers arrive and are going through the building and evacuating people, while still in lock down would they allow teachers performing med assistance to stay and work until they can carry the victim to an ambulance? Or would they be told to go now?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So long as they are somewhat secured and not picked through every time a kid needs a band aid.

My big question on this would be as officers arrive and are going through the building and evacuating people, while still in lock down would they allow teachers performing med assistance to stay and work until they can carry the victim to an ambulance? Or would they be told to go now?

No, but honestly, an officer isn't going to stop and for a teacher to leave, as they're on the "hunt." A teacher could ignore them, and provide medical attention, but know there taking a risk.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    At first, when people would talk about arming teachers, adding metal detectors, etc. I poo-pooed the ideas as being impractical for cash strapped communities, getting volunteers to reliably show up for work 6 weeks after the latest incident falls of the news cycle and all. Now, seeing how many people are now open to "just do something" and "conversations", I've changed my mind. Yeah...push those armed guards and hardening the buildings and what have you. Let's get the focus off the gun and onto some other wild goose chase. Because with enough weak-kneed republicans, they can get legislation passed but when the reality sets in of having to fund all of those school enhancements and hiring all those new county employees, even that stuff will get dropped and forgotten......for a while anyway.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I saw an update by the Sheriff this afternoon. A few things stick out to me. They showed an aerial veiw of the school campus. It is made up of several buildings and he said it spans roughly 45 acres. They described it as being very much like a small colege campus. They have interveiwed over 3200 students and there was an armed officer on duty, but was never close enough to engage the subject.

Struck me as odd they would only have 1 officer to handle any kind of security issue (fights, check doors, walk halls etc) on a school campus spanning 45 acres with more than 3200 students. To me that just seems retarded! Why would you have 1 officer on a campus that size with that many people?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

It's most likely that the teachers/staff would have provided first aid before the first police officer even shows up to the school.
    Depending on the number of victims and the number of first responders of course.

And those kits don't have bandaids and booboo stuff so they are meant to be accessed only for life-threatening situations.

Some of those companies provides sealed cabinets with alarms to keep the kits secured.
    You certainly don't want the kids playing with them especially when they have needles in them (like in the kit showed above).

They offer kits without the decompression needle as well.

80-0581_a.jpg

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Good. This strikes me as similar to not hearing about good guys with guns stopping bad guys -- it doesn't generate the headlines and outrage. I haven't heard about this incident, was it a real thing?

I searched for the email, couldn't find it. Going by memory, I believe they said "the student in question has been taken care of"

So read into that what you will.

My son goes to IPA, so yes, a real thing. I was pretty pissed actually that they didn't contact us until AFTER school the day following this threat. My son isn't a cower in place type of kid, but he's only one and he can only do so much if a situation occurred.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    https://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0119.htm

That link gives a little insight into what the Isreali do in their schools. Most of the reference links from 2013 are down though. One that still exists I can't read. https://www.gov.il/he/Departments/Ministry_of_Public_Security

I keep seeing the picture touting a teacher armed with a rifle and ONE repeated story, by one certain author, trying to debunk it.
    Are Israeli teachers armed? - Israel Today | Israel News

Isn't Israel highly restrictive with their gun laws? I'm not sure that's a good example.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Yes, sounds like they are more-so than what people think. They are also much smaller population wise, in much more dangerous part of the world, a much higher military presence in the streets, etc... AND have no 2nd Amendment.

I'm still a firm believer that a hardened target discourages a potential active shooter.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yes, sounds like they are more-so than what people think. They are also much smaller population wise, in much more dangerous part of the world, a much higher military presence in the streets, etc... AND have no 2nd Amendment.

I'm still a firm believer that a hardened target discourages a potential active shooter.

Yeah, I think if our society was like Israel's, there probably wouldn't be very much in the way of instances like just happened in Florida.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom