Indy
    I4NFab2.jpg

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I would like to see the stats on this also.

I'm all for private and homeschooling. When my kid was home-schooled, There were no bully problems and the principal let everyone carry a gun on campus. The whole school staff and the parents carried as well as the principal himself. The kids also had target shooting class 2-3 times a week.
    :ar15:
    Yes, but it made making out after prom a little awkward did t it?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not only the expulsion thing. But if a parent cares enough to pay to send their kid to private school, they’re probably involved enough and have the means to get their kid help when they notice something isn’t right.

What about the kid in California who was pissed off because he couldn't get a date? Wasn't he from a fairly well off family?

Then there's Adam Lanza. Family well off, but parents separated, kid improperly socialized, not disciplined in the home. Mother basically let him do what he wanted and his father was not involved in his life.

So I'd say it's possible to list a bunch of factors that could contribute to the state of mind which can do something like that, and it just takes some of those in the right combination to do it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Even so. At most he fails the NICS check. If he's hell bent on killing people that's not going to stop him.

While i agree it is possible he may not of done it. Hard to say, but either way, they say "see something, say something" and it appears teachers, students, deputies and the fbi all seen something, but nothing was done. In my opinion the ball was dropped

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    While i agree it is possible he may not of done it. Hard to say, but either way, they say "see something, say something" and it appears teachers, students, deputies and the fbi all seen something, but nothing was done. In my opinion the ball was dropped

It’s hard to imagine government organizations dropping the ball....

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The FBI revealed Friday that they received a tip last month that Nikolas Cruz, the 19-year-old accused of killing 17 people on Valentine's Day, had a gun, wanted to “kill people” and there was the “potential of him conducting a school shooting.”

The agency admitted that they received a call on Jan. 5, 2018, a person close to Cruz contacted the FBI through its Public Access Line (PAL) tipline to with concerns of his erratic behavior and disturbing social media posts.

"Under established protocols, the information provided by the caller should have been assessed as a potential threat to life," the statement said. "We have determined that these protocols were not followed for the information received by the PAL on January 5."...

Alleged Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz was reported to FBI, cops, school -- but warning signs missed | Fox News

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The FBI revealed Friday that they received a tip last month that Nikolas Cruz, the 19-year-old accused of killing 17 people on Valentine's Day, had a gun, wanted to “kill people” and there was the “potential of him conducting a school shooting.”

The agency admitted that they received a call on Jan. 5, 2018, a person close to Cruz contacted the FBI through its Public Access Line (PAL) tipline to with concerns of his erratic behavior and disturbing social media posts.

"Under established protocols, the information provided by the caller should have been assesses as a potential threat to life," the statement said. "We have determined that these protocols were not followed for the information received by the PAL on January 5."...

Alleged Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz was reported to FBI, cops, school -- but warning signs missed | Fox News

Besides putting him into the NICS database as a "no go" with this information (if they could - I believe he would have to be adjudicated as mentally ill), what could they have done with this information though? Don't get me wrong, part of me wishes they could have institutionalized him (department of corrections or mental institution - either one), but that flies in the face of the Constitution, does it not? Or could someone in a position of authority get him adjudicated as mentally ill based on second-hand information or social media posts? I truly don't know.

Simply saying he wanted to kill people doesn't rise to the level of criminality. If it did, there'd be a whole lot of people in trouble. How many have said something similar to "I'd like to kill that S.O.B.!" in a moment of anger or frustration? Probably 99.9999% of those who have wouldn't actually carry it out, so where is the line to be drawn? Again, I truly don't know.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I dunno. Maybe if combined with the credible threat that school had (but maybe didn't report?) and the 39 visits that local law enforcement made to the shooter's home?:dunno:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Besides putting him into the NICS database as a "no go" with this information (if they could - I believe he would have to be adjudicated as mentally ill), what could they have done with this information though? Don't get me wrong, part of me wishes they could have institutionalized him (department of corrections or mental institution - either one), but that flies in the face of the Constitution, does it not? Or could someone in a position of authority get him adjudicated as mentally ill based on second-hand information or social media posts? I truly don't know.

When your picture in the Yearbook is captioned "Most likely to be a school shooter" then someone with some authority needs the ability and motivation to do something. Between everyone being so PC about everything and add to that our useless catch and release justice system (particularly with juveniles) it is hard to fix what parents and the system have screwed up. Out of those 39 visits several people let the ball drop. You don't get 39 visits without doing something illegal, someone was too lazy to fill out the paperwork. Then the FBI, who in light of their screw ups lately, should have done something. The FBI has become a joke.

Sorry, but a good chunk of this one is on the FBI saying "Oops", just like the military SNAFU on the church shooter. Do your freaking job!!!

Cant get a link to post, but apparently deputies were called to his house 39 times in 7 years. Quite a few over mental instability. The ball was dropped on this kid being able to purchase a firearm, just like the Texas church shooter.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    When your picture in the Yearbook is captioned "Most likely to be a school shooter" then someone with some authority needs the ability and motivation to do something. Between everyone being so PC about everything and add to that our useless catch and release justice system (particularly with juveniles) it is hard to fix what parents and the system have screwed up. Out of those 39 visits several people let the ball drop. You don't get 39 visits without doing something illegal, someone was too lazy to fill out the paperwork. Then the FBI, who in light of their screw ups lately, should have done something. The FBI has become a joke.

Sorry, but a good chunk of this one is on the FBI saying "Oops", just like the military SNAFU on the church shooter. Do your freaking job!!!

They're too busy weighing in on Presidential politics to spare any time for such mundane tasks.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I don't disagree with this!

They're too busy weighing in on Presidential politics to spare any time for such mundane tasks.
    Yep... "Russia, Russia, Russia!"

They could have talked to him and those who know him to try to determine if he was a real threat or not. You never know where such interactions will lead. And now we'll never know.
    Shoulda, coulda, woulda... Like KittySlayer said, "Do your freakin' job!" (The FBI and probably the local PD that was called 39 times - not you Hough. :))

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Do your freaking jobs, Amen. Sutherland Springs bothers me a great deal because many in the USAF didn't do their jobs.

San Bernardino: State Dept pogues didn't do their jobs. That was OK, nobody likes doing that so its OK to suck at your job. Neighbor saw suspicious activity but didn't want to be called racist or Islamophobic.

Charleston, SC Church: should've been NICS denial, somebody didn't do their job.

False info on an ATF 4473 gets prosecuted 0.04% of the time, but we need more laws.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom