Active shooter at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I do not think "irrational" means what you think it means. :D

ir·ra·tion·al
    i(r)ˈraSH(ə)nəl/
    adjective
    [COLOR=#878787 !important]

not logical or reasonable.

[/COLOR]

That you may not understand or agree with it does not make something "irrational."

You're kinda talking out both sides of your mouth, BTW. Do you think of the 4473s sent to the ATF are a form of registration or a possible step toward it?
    Nope, I don't think that. Not even a step. The thought that the ATF having paper 4473=ok but a digital form=not ok. They have the info but the manner in which it is stored is the issue? That lack of logic is irrational to me.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Actually, he had over 70 minutes to fire. The outcome would have been the same, with or without bump fire-assisted rate of fire.

...because no one was running for cover as the bullets rained down?

70 minutes? How long from the first shot to the last. Doubt it was 70 minutes. I'm seeing closer to 16 minutes.

http://www.businessinsider.com/time...m-police-officers-gather-near-paddocks-room-8

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/10/02/us/mandalay-bay-vegas-shooting.html

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    What? Was he firing for 70 minutes?

No, but he could have been, which means the outcome would not really have been impacted.

He had 70 minutes but he only 10 to 15 with a bunched up soft target. The bumpfire helped him, and the crank devices helped him. No if's and's or but's to it. Seems like he had switched to the scoped standard buttstock rifles at the end with the placement of everything.

It remains to be seen if 500 were injured from GSWs only, or from being stampeded. The latter would result, regardless of how many rounds were being sent on-target. And the former would have been minimally less-likely, even without assisted rate-of-fire. What you gain in speed, you lose in precision and overkill.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No, but he could have been, which means the outcome would not really have been impacted.

It remains to be seen if 500 were injured from GSWs only, or from being stampeded. The latter would result, regardless of how many rounds were being sent on-target. And the former would have been minimally less-likely, even without assisted rate-of-fire. What you gain in speed, you lose in precision and overkill.

If you've ever been hunting, you'd understand why opportunity trumps time.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    70 minutes from initial 911 call to breach. He only had a few minutes of such a large easy target.

...because no one was running for cover as the bullets rained down?

70 minutes? How long from the first shot to the last. Doubt it was 70 minutes. I'm seeing closer to 16 minutes.

Las Vegas shooting: Timeline shows exactly how massacre unfolded - Business Insider

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/10/02/us/mandalay-bay-vegas-shooting.html

How long did it take for a crowd of 20,000 to disperse, and where did they go when they did so?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    but they are directly related. the area of pie is pi*r^2 (even though pie are round). If you eat all the way around the pie, that's proportional to 2 pi. two pie are better than one. see, even though irrational, it's not irrational at all, because who doesn't want twice as much pie?

-rvb

Well, I did say approximately. I've never seen a perfectly round pie. But yes, if you took out everything in the middle, and given that the pie is still imperfectly round, pi ≈ pie. But then you might argue it's a distinction without a difference.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

You know, I'm not all that fond of moments of silence. When it's called for in public, and I'm in public, I go according to Hoyle. If they can give the families of victims some kind of peace, or feeling of unity, or anything that puts them in a better place at all, okay. But I tend to think it doesn't really help them. It doesn't really help me. It's mostly symbolism without substance. Same with candle-light vigils.

ir·ra·tion·al
    i(r)ˈraSH(ə)nəl/
    adjective
    [COLOR=#878787 !important]

not logical or reasonable.

[/COLOR]

That you may not understand or agree with it does not make something "irrational."

Nope, I don't think that. Not even a step. The thought that the ATF having paper 4473=ok but a digital form=not ok. They have the info but the manner in which it is stored is the issue? That lack of logic is irrational to me.

Think about how relational databases work. Yeah, it's different.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Some images leaked from inside the hotel. Not the sanitized media ones, but ones showing his bloodied face from eating a bullet.

Here's some of the cleaner ones.

If you want to see the one with his head blown off with what looks like a S&W 637, you can change the relevant part of one of the below URLs to "DLPRAErVYAADCYb". It's definitely gory

DLPQbXrUEAAnUhD.jpg:small

DLPQeG6VwAA3h-T.jpg:small

DLPQfK8UIAAGfmB.jpg:small

MPX mags in the background maybe?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I personally think rate of fire played a significant role in the amounts of people killed and injured.
    I personally think mag capacity along with mag fed rifle's too played a significant role into the amount of people killed and injured. I hope you saw what I did there. I wished I had a solution to this but I don't think there is one.

Last edited:

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I agree, from the audio he was dumping rounds and fast. It sure would be nice if we could just wish away things that are capable of such damage and prevent anything like this from every happening again but reality has shown that to be impossible. Prohibition doesn't work, with anything. I'd say controlled substances are about as controlled as we can get and we still have an epidemic of addiction to them on our hands.

Laws can't and won't fix this. Laws do nothing but provide a false sense of security for those unwilling to face reality and provide for a nice incarceration industry in the process. Society needs to fix this but that is an uncomfortable conversation that will never happen.

Marijuana, cocaine, heroin, meth, and LSD are all readily available within the walls of any prison in the country. Prisons have guarded razor wire-topped walls, compulsory inspections of person, property, and residence...and prohibition doesn't work even there.

I agree. The answer isn't prohibition, but I really have no idea what the answer actually is.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I personally think mag capacity along with mag fed rifle's too played a significant role into the amount of people killed and injured. I hope you saw what I did there.

Actually, I think you are right.

The operative question is "so what"? Rights have risks that run along side.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom