A Farewell to Arms (Why I jumped off the Glock bandwagon)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OutaAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Nice write up esrice. I have never liked the feel of my Glock either. Thinking of drinking the M & P Kool-aid and getting rid of my Glock. The g/f has a nice XD but what I reallly like to shoot is my CZ-75 Compact.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I like your choice on Warren Tactical sights Evan. Have you seen this video of them in use?[I think it helped sell me on them for my next carry piece, now I just need to decide on which one, Glock...M&P...XD...:runaway:

I use the same sites on my G34 for USPSA matches, love them!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    How is the trigger reach of the M&P compared to the Glock? I have short fingers too and find the Glock grip harder to "get around".

When looking at pictures of my grip on the M&P and Glock 19 side-by-side, the trigger on the M&P when pulled fully to the rear was slightly further back than the Glock. My single-hand grip on the M&P feels much more comfortable because of this.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So I got a chance to put my first rounds through my new-to-me M&P9.

2reob3t.jpg

It was pouring rain so I set up a makeshift target in the side yard and put 150 rounds into it and some steel plates.

iw3fkh.jpg

First impressions indicate it is a very soft-shooting gun. It was quite accurate, but the stock 3-dot sights are very wide and obscure the target pretty good. One-handed hits were made much easier than with my Glock.

358nc78.jpg

For fun I decided to "bench" the gun and try hitting a 12" steel target at 62 yards from the elevated back porch. In one magazine I was able to hit the target 3 times in a row.

2rcoqww.jpg

I also tried hitting the steel offhand and was only able to hit it twice in one magazine. Did catch a cool fireball picture. (WTF is up with my fleece?)

syqikj.jpg

Then I walked down to get closer to the plates and went through a few more magazines shooting transitions between two-hand, primary hand only, and support hand only.

ej31u.jpg

xgfj14.jpg

And another cool fireball pic. . . .

ff3blx.jpg

So that was 150 rounds and they went through without a hitch. Next up is continued reliability testing and eventually the installation of Apex trigger parts and night sights. Thanks goes to lovemywoods for following me around in the rain with a camera earlier today.

LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville
    Awesome post man. PS... it was a bit eerie reading it, as I started out my carriage with my Gen 3 Glock 19, recently made the switch to a 4" M&P9, and have the same desert tan LA Police Gear range bag for range practice.

Hmmm.

Great read and I'm glad you found something that fit you just right.

~LT

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Did you decide on sights?

I've been doing lots of reading of online reviews and such, and the Ameriglo Hackathorns you recommended have me intrigued. The combination of the .140 front and .165 rear sounds like a great pairing. With their sub-$80 pricing I'm inclined to at least try them out.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Factory to factory triggers, I prefer the Glock. I wouldn't even consider an M&P before due to the factory trigger. However, now that Apex has come out with parts that enhance it and make it more "Glock-esque", it was no longer an obstacle for me. I too am not a fan of "trigger jobs" or excessive trigger modifications on a carry gun, but I'm willing to install Apex's carry kit to get the trigger I want in a more natural platform.

The main catalyst for this change is still the grip circumference and angle, and the M&P wins hands-down.

I had the opportunity to play with an M&P that had the Apex and new trigger. I ended up buying an M&P and ordering the kit. Try one, you'll be impressed.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I've been doing lots of reading of online reviews and such, and the Ameriglo Hackathorns you recommended have me intrigued. The combination of the .140 front and .165 rear sounds like a great pairing. With their sub-$80 pricing I'm inclined to at least try them out.

Do it! They are one of my best firearm related investments. They are the perfect combo for up close shooting with the bright front sight and distance shooting with the wide notch and skinny post. They will be going on every pistol I buy if they are available. You won't regret it!:yesway:

ISHOOTHST'S

Master
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Iyaf
    faces_125.gif

Good post. Now I see why you made your comment in the other thread. The ameriglo's I ordered will be to me this week. Then its off to robar for the nortons special! Cant belive how the m&p has taken off considering I purchased mine in 2007.

Top Bottom