A Farewell to Arms (Why I jumped off the Glock bandwagon)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    I've been doing lots of reading of online reviews and such, and the Ameriglo Hackathorns you recommended have me intrigued. The combination of the .140 front and .165 rear sounds like a great pairing. With their sub-$80 pricing I'm inclined to at least try them out.

I stumbled upon these and like them alot. Tritium and fiber optic so you have bright sights in any light. And only $63 for the set on sale now. I have about 1,000 rounds through my MP9 with them and they are great.

Log On | TRUGLO, Inc.

Link doesnt work. They are the Brite-Site TFOs.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    On the topic of the Apex trigger on an M&P, I found this on one if the blogs I follow. The author is a retired Marine turned computer nerd who advocates heavily for the right to OC in Florida and recently started shooting USPSA having purchased an M&P .40 just for it.

However, after trying the trigger on an M&P 9, I now know there is no way I can ever shoot this gun again until I get that system into my 40.

Argument time – I plan on eventually carrying the M&P for SD. Good idea with a competition trigger or not?

Go.
    Source: Sharp as a Marble - Your weekend argument

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I agree that it's not a good idea to carry with the Comp. kit.
    But some don't think it's a good idea to carry with the Defensive Carry kit...

I don't think you should carry with the competition kit for practical reasons. Those that don't think you should carry with the carry kit think so for legal liability reasons.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I got to fondle an M&P with the competition trigger. It was beautiful, but not something I'd want on my EDC.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    My M&P40 Pro series has the lightest of my M&P triggers. It has had the Apex Sear and RAM upgrade, along with some polishing in key contact points. This got the trigger to under 3 pounds, but I had to increase the weight due to a couple unintentional double-taps. I simply put a double sear spring in and brought the pull back up to 4 pounds, with a crisp break... All is good again!

M&P triggers can be made exceptional if you know what to change and adjust.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Update:

A few weeks ago I ordered 2 additional magazines from 44mag.com.

Yesterday I got to try them out and put another 120 rounds through my M&P9. Everything ran without a hitch.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...t_a_new_benelli_and_holiday_fun_pics_vid.html

6b47cae5.jpg

bcef5dcf.jpg

Tonight I finally ordered some more parts for the pistol itself. :alright:

• Ameriglo Hackathorn night sights
    • Apex DCAEK
    • Apex RAM
    Next up is a Raven Phantom. I think I'll wait until the January 1500 for that.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Update:

A few weeks ago I ordered 2 additional magazines from 44mag.com.

Yesterday I got to try them out and put another 120 rounds through my M&P9. Everything ran without a hitch.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...t_a_new_benelli_and_holiday_fun_pics_vid.html

6b47cae5.jpg

bcef5dcf.jpg

Tonight I finally ordered some more parts for the pistol itself. :alright:

• Ameriglo Hackathorn night sights
    • Apex DCAEK
    • Apex RAM
    Next up is a Raven Phantom. I think I'll wait until the January 1500 for that.

Cool beans... I can't wait to see your update with all of the upgrades installed. Keep us updated.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm trying to decide if I should order the RAM as well. I can't make up my mind.
    But I'm also trying to decide if I want to order the Extractor too. Even though S&W replaced mine, I still had 3 FTE's at the ACT low light class.

I dunno.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    For only an extra $22 I couldn't NOT try it.

True. But if I order the RAM, I should order the Extractor as well.

But I'm starting to feel that I shouldn't have to exchange the S&W parts for Apex parts. Just to make it perform better.

Never had to do that to my Glock 19...

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    True. But if I order the RAM, I should order the Extractor as well.

But I'm starting to feel that I shouldn't have to exchange the S&W parts for Apex parts. Just to make it perform better.

Never had to do that to my Glock 19...

You're right, the M&P is junk. I'll give you $50 for it. :D

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Factory to factory triggers, I prefer the Glock. I wouldn't even consider an M&P before due to the factory trigger. However, now that Apex has come out with parts that enhance it and make it more "Glock-esque", it was no longer an obstacle for me. I too am not a fan of "trigger jobs" or excessive trigger modifications on a carry gun, but I'm willing to install Apex's carry kit to get the trigger I want in a more natural platform.

The main catalyst for this change is still the grip circumference and angle, and the M&P wins hands-down.

I chose the XD-40 over the M&P some years back because of the trigger; regardless I can shoot 1" groups at 50 feet with my buddy's M&P (wrists resting on a sandbag), better than I can do with my XD. Yet, the difference in the trigger was the deciding factor. And the difference in group size is meaningless in a SD situation.

The Glocks don't fit me or my shooting style/grip.

Probably the best shooting (accuracy wise, and not shooting from sandbags) pistol in my hand has been the Ruger SR9. Alas the grip is too thin to be comfortable in my hand. At this point, the XDm-3.8 is calling my name and I'm dying to shoot an SR9/40 Compact.

We'll see; I may just end up with another XD, and XDsc in either 9mm or 40.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    You're right, the M&P is junk. I'll give you $50 for it. :D

I'm not saying the m&p is junk. I don't regret selling my G21 to get it. I even shoot the m&p better than my Glock 19.

I just find it weird that I have to swap out S&W parts for Apex parts just to make my M&P run better. Fixing the reset, stopping all the FTE's I'm having, etc...

I never had to do anything to make my Glock run better.

Maybe it's just me thinking this way, I dunno. But I'll end up buying the Apex RAM and extractor anyway.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I dont think the M&P runs any better with Apex parts. They will run just fine with out them, at least in my experience.

Now, I do have a full compliment of apex parts in my 9Pro, and I plan to move those parts (but with carry springs) to my 9c, and get the FSS for the 9Pro.

What the apex parts do is make it easier for me to run the M&P pistols more efficiently, at least thats my take on it. ;)

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I'm not saying the m&p is junk. I don't regret selling my G21 to get it. I even shoot the m&p better than my Glock 19.

I just find it weird that I have to swap out S&W parts for Apex parts just to make my M&P run better. Fixing the reset, stopping all the FTE's I'm having, etc...

I never had to do anything to make my Glock run better.

Maybe it's just me thinking this way, I dunno. But I'll end up buying the Apex RAM and extractor anyway.

Do other people have the FTEs when they shoot your gun? Maybe its not the extractor and how you hold it or something? :dunno:

I've never had to do anything to mine, but maybe I just got lucky.

Top Bottom