A Farewell to Arms (Why I jumped off the Glock bandwagon)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Using the tool is NOT REQUIRED.

One does. not. NEED. to use this tool to move the sear disconnect lever. At all. Leave it alone.

Just need to pull the trigger and the slide comes off...just like a Glock.

-J-

Perhaps it is a bad thing, but since the Glock, XD, and Taurus Slim firearms all conditioned me to pulling the trigger to get the slide off, that's just what I tried with the M&P before I read the manual.

Then you are defeating the step that the design was meant to defeat and greatly exacerbate the risk of a AD. Again I think this was not needed from the beginning, but S&W did include it and side stepping a safety feature is a grossly negligent step.

So if your buying an M&P for this feature and side stepping it, why consider it.

Perhaps it increases the chance of an ND, but if all my other handguns do the same thing, it's the same difference, right?

The XD and the M&P have the benefit of needing to lock the slide back before the break down lever can be rotated. It isn't foolproof, obviously, but it does make it easier to remember to clear the weapon before releasing the slide and pulling the trigger when you are field stripping it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The instructor then proceeded to pick up each pistol and fire tight groups at 7yds with each of them.

I've seen that same demonstration presented in class before. Hell, I took an entire class dedicated to that VERY specific scenario. The lesson learned is quite valuable.

I won't pretend that my grasp of shooting fundamentals is flawless, but for me the shooting difference here isn't huge, its just noticeable.

What draws you to the plan rear sight mixed with the tritium front sight? That's like $87.

I'm looking for something with a simple and uncluttered sight picture. I wanted something with a wider rear notch and thinner front post. I like having the tritium up front for shooting in low-light, but don't find the rears necessary because my light often illuminates them from behind, giving me a standard sight picture anyway.

Why aren't you interested in Big Dot sights again? Or maybe the Meprolights? Is it just price? Or do you feel the one you linked is better in some other way?

I liked the Big Dots for their intended purpose, but I'm now looking for something that allows me to hit further out. The closer distances where the Big Dots shine I can already make hits using a combination of traditional sight alignment, body mechanics, and muscle memory. Its beyond those distances where I really need the help of the finer sights.

Meprolights are good 3-dot sights, but they don't come in the configuration I'm looking for.

Price is often the last factor to consider when it comes to sights. You won't see me dropping $250 on a set of pistol sights, but you also won't see me balk at the relatively inexpensive $87. :yesway:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I'm looking for something with a simple and uncluttered sight picture. I wanted something with a wider rear notch and thinner front post. I like having the tritium up front for shooting in low-light, but don't find the rears necessary because my light often illuminates them from behind, giving me a standard sight picture anyway.

Makes sense. I've thought on several occasions that I'd really like to get sights where the front was different from the rear so they don't get lost amongst one another in the very dark. But…

I liked the Big Dots for their intended purpose, but I'm now looking for something that allows me to hit further out. The closer distances where the Big Dots shine I can already make hits using a combination of traditional sight alignment, body mechanics, and muscle memory. Its beyond those distances where I really need the help of the finer sights.

…you're right: in close enough quarters, you'll be able to hit your target without using the sights. That's something I learned in HandK's classes. That's a really good point about the Big Dots. Might still be a good idea for my dad so he can see the sights easer in general, but it is starting to sound like something I wouldn't need for my EDC.

Meprolights are good 3-dot sights, but they don't come in the configuration I'm looking for.

Same observation I had. As aforementioned, I really want something that makes it easy to distinguish the front and rear sights.

Price is often the last factor to consider when it comes to sights. You won't see me dropping $250 on a set of pistol sights, but you also won't see me balk at the relatively inexpensive $87. :yesway:

Exactly what I expected. The Meprolights and Big Dots are under $140, IIRC, so I didn't think that the price would sway you towards the Warren mixed sights.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    in close enough quarters, you'll be able to hit your target without using the sights.

Now that's not always the case. I say use your sights if you have time, don't if you don't. Sometimes slowing down a half step and getting on the sights is the best call, and sometimes getting on the gas and putting 13 rounds into a threat is what it takes. Speed and accuracy is a balance and they are in constant struggle.

I need sights that will work in a variety of situations and distances, even if that means giving up some advantages on one end to gain some on the other. Big Dots are great for close up but they fall of quickly when distance is increased. A more standard configuration might be a bit tougher to pick up at closer distances, but will pay dividends at 30 yards. Since I feel that I need MORE help at greater distance, I'll pick those.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Makes sense. I've thought on several occasions that I'd really like to get sights where the front was different from the rear so they don't get lost amongst one another in the very dark. But…

Having contrasting front/rear sights (dim/bright, different color front/rear, no dots in back but hi-vis front, etc) in order to draw your focus to the front sight is one thing; doing so to prevent confusion of the front and rear sights is something else entirely (and, I believe, a false argument). Go into a dark room and cant the gun in your hand so that the front sight is seen as either the left or right dot. The sight picture (i.e. spacing of the dots) will be noticeably jacked up, but more importantly, it will just FEEL wrong in the wrist/hand. I don't need to see the dots to know my sights are aligned (or not); muscle memory is a wonderful thing.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    This is good to know, thank you.

Sounds like I should order the new sights also and have everything installed at the same time.

Here's what I'm thinking for sights: Warren Tactical Sight, Tritium Front/Plain Rear Mix for S&W M&P
    Evan,

I'd highly recommend that style of sights. I have the Ameriglos on my G19 and I saw a definite improvement in my shooting over 3 dot sights. When shooting outdoors the orange outline on the front sight pops out and makes it fast and easy to get on target. I can't recommend the Ameriglos enough.:yesway:

Here is the M&P version of the Ameriglos. Model SW-433B
    AmeriGlo Weapon Sights | Complete Sets

My G19-
    GL433.jpg

68f011fa.jpg

ec07ef5f.jpg

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I got my M&P today so I can arrange a side-by-side. This stock M&P trigger is going to have to go though-- yuck!

I ever tell you I was a fan of the Sigma back when they first came out? :D

loved the gun, hated the trigger, went to Glocks.

So believe me, the internal conflict is there, lol.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    So when are you switching? Isn't it better for you and your son to have the same platform? Then you can share mags :D

:stickpoke:

:koolaid:

I'm looking forward to shooting the M&P and seeing how the aftermarket mods affect the pistol.

I've wondered whether I'll like the M&P well enough to want one. Time will tell. However, I don't see me divesting myself of Glocks. They are so simple to use and reliable that I plan to keep some around the house! :yesway:

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    I like your choice on Warren Tactical sights Evan. Have you seen this video of them in use?[ame]http://youtu.be/NPTCZqGRvGc[/ame]
    I think it helped sell me on them for my next carry piece, now I just need to decide on which one, Glock...M&P...XD...:runaway:

Top Bottom