A Farewell to Arms (Why I jumped off the Glock bandwagon)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    But I'm starting to feel that I shouldn't have to exchange the S&W parts for Apex parts. Just to make it perform better.

I agree with Clay on this.

I dont think the M&P runs any better with Apex parts. They will run just fine with out them, at least in my experience.

What the apex parts do is make it easier for me to run the M&P pistols more efficiently, at least thats my take on it. ;)

Its a matter of "need to" versus "want to". Do I "need" the Apex trigger upgrade? No. The gun runs just fine without it.

But because I prefer (aka "want") a different trigger feel, I'm going to try them.

Your extractor issue is different. Its more of a "need" because you "need" the gun to run reliably. Its not uncommon for a specific gun that generally has a good reputation for reliability to have a problem. Identify the problem and work toward a solution. If it doesn't get resolved, find another pistol (even another M&P). I'd give the same advice to a Glock guy.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Thinking back, the last FTE I had, I was shooting 1-handed. I'm now wondering if it's because I didn't have a tight enough hold that night.

Before I do anything, I think I'll hit the range Friday and put a couple hundred rounds downrange and see what happens.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    My reason for getting rid of my Glock 19.
    First and formost: Trigger safety.
    With the only safety being in what I pulled to fire the Glock. How can it be safe?????
    Taking it out in a hurry when really needed.
    Slip and you shot your self in the leg or worse.
    Catch it on something as you put it away. You just do a lot of damage.

Next I do not like the firing pin spring being under maximum tension for 100% of the time.
    It will lose it strength. it may not be as strong as need when needed.

3rd single action. Have misfire and you appoent knows it and is on you.
    With a double action. You get a very quick second chance. At the same time you could be moving to clear the misfire.
    If the second chance does fire. You are ahead of the game.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    With the only safety being in what I pulled to fire the Glock. How can it be safe?????

Next I do not like the firing pin spring being under maximum tension for 100% of the time.

With a double action. You get a very quick second chance. At the same time you could be moving to clear the misfire.

The only safety you NEED is the one between your ears. If you "slip and shoot yourself in the leg" then your "booger hook shouldn't have been on the band switch" as they say..

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County

Your LCP uses a similar safety. They both work well.

The spring doesn't weaken by being under tension. It weakens from being used.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I'm about to make the same jump, although I've been on the Glock bandwagon since the early 1990's... Man I'm getting old.

I just got home from a movie and my EXO G19 accompanied me, as it usually does. But I keep thinking about how much I like my M&P 9mm. It's just so hard to give up a pistol you've owned, shot well and trusted for 20 some years for a new fangled interloper. But once I get my Raven holster at Indy in Jan I may be making that same switch. We shall see, I keep talking about it.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008

If your handgun is working properly, and you should practice enough to know if it is or isn't, if a round fails to ignite there is little chance a second strike will ignite it. In fact, there's so little chance that most training organizations teach you to perform immediate action to clear the bad round and charge the weapon with a fresh one. Wasting time trying to ignite a round that is likely a dud can get you killed. If you hear click, don't pull the trigger again, jack the slide and get back into the fight.

Double actions are safeties for the poorly trained, which is why the military likes them. It's nearly impossible to accidentally pull a 12lbs long travel double action trigger even if your finger is on it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Ameriglo Hackathorn sights came in today.

First impressions are positive. They seem very well machined. Tritium vile looks very clean.

Online reports indicated a wide rear notch. It doesn't look abnormally wide to me. I'll have to see what it looks like once installed. I like a thinner front / wider rear combo.

I was also curious how sloped the rear sight was, and if it would allow easy one-handed charging. So far it looks like it won't be a problem, as the slope is pretty steep.

The front sight appears to be either the exact same or VERY similar to Trijicon's HD sights. I used that on my test pistol (belonged to OneBadV8) and really liked it.

They were $75 shipped to my door.

Looking forward to trying these out!

2dgnpj6.jpg

6ygtb5.jpg

qozkt5.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Apex DCAEK and RAM came in today!

I'll be stopping by Bradis in the next week or so to get these things installed.

8wab8k.jpg

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I just left the range. I put around 300 rounds thru my M&P. No malfunctions, no stove-piping. So I'm wondering if it WAS the way I was holding it 1-handed that night.

I also brought my Glock 19. And I proved to myself, again, that I'm a WAY better shot with my M&P9c.

I think I may go ahead and get the Apex RAM and Extractor too.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I just left the range. I put around 300 rounds thru my M&P. No malfunctions, no stove-piping. So I'm wondering if it WAS the way I was holding it 1-handed that night.

Did you try any one-handed shooting today? The ability to shoot malf-free one-handed is important.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Did you try any one-handed shooting today? The ability to shoot malf-free one-handed is important.

I did. No problems.

I'm thinking that the combination of holding a flashlight, shooting 1-handed and moving, all at the same time, really got to me. And trying to do all that made me concentrate less on my grip.

But I could be wrong.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm thinking that the combination of holding a flashlight, shooting 1-handed and moving, all at the same time, really got to me. And trying to do all that made me concentrate less on my grip.

But that's real life, and that's when you'll need your gun to work right the most. If your gun won't work when doing all of that then you need another gun.

When I took the low-light class I dealt with malfs the ENTIRE time, and my experience was well-documented in the AAR thread. I was concerned, like you, that my Glock 19 wouldn't allow me to use it when I need it. So I went back to the range and was able to definitely pin it to the certain brand and lot of ammo I was using for the class. Until that point though, I had some serious doubts.

I'm not saying your gun is at fault here, but you'll want to make certain that you won't start stovepiping again when you happen to need your gun in the dark while holding a flashlight.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    But that's real life, and that's when you'll need your gun to work right the most. If your gun won't work when doing all of that then you need another gun.

When I took the low-light class I dealt with malfs the ENTIRE time, and my experience was well-documented in the AAR thread. I was concerned, like you, that my Glock 19 wouldn't allow me to use it when I need it. So I went back to the range and was able to definitely pin it to the certain brand and lot of ammo I was using for the class. Until that point though, I had some serious doubts.

I'm not saying your gun is at fault here, but you'll want to make certain that you won't start stovepiping again when you happen to need your gun in the dark while holding a flashlight.

I totally agree with all of that. What I want to do now is find a place to shoot where I can move and shoot 1-handed. I'm not able to do that at MCFG.

Shooting 1-handed standing in 1 spot, I don't think that will really work. I think I need to do everything I was doing when the malfunctions occured.

Top Bottom