9mm vs. .45 15 experts give their opinion.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wassup61

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    nwi
    Must be a slow day in the gun world. I got so sick of this "debate" in the late '80s and early '90s.

Stir up controversy. Create endless arguments. And in the end.......no minds were changed, no opinions altered.
    Well put.

More damage is relative to shot placement. Your wound cavity may be larger; however, at the end of the day, what is fatal with a 45 is likely to be fatal with a 9mm. Neither one is a "fight stopper". This is of course my uneducated opinion with no desire to ever test the theory.

If I do have to, hopefully its with a rifle.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If there was a line of Talibans wanted a piece of me, here is what I would use,

1. my Les Baer 1911 with 5 magazines ready. after this

2. my Sig P229 in .40 with 6 magazines ready, after this

3. my Sig P226 in 9mm with 6 magazines ready, after this

4. my Browning hi Power (Belgium) with 4 magazines ready, after this

5. my Argentina FN Hi Power with 2 magazines ready, after this

6, my S&W AE15T with 2000 rounds, after this

7. my AR 458 socom with 300 rounds,

8. My Remmy 700 BDL in 30-06 with 100 rounds

9. then it would be my 8 inches survival knife

10 then it would be my 6 inches tactical knife

11. My fists. I guess..

Soldier cited for holding off up to 30 Taliban by himself ? This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

During the 15-minute battle, Pun fired more than 400 rounds of ammunition, detonated 17 grenades and a mine and even threw his gun tripod at a Taliban fighter climbing toward his position, according to British Forces News.
    "He was just about to climb up there and I hit (him) with my tripod and he fell down again," Pun told British Forces News.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well put.

More damage is relative to shot placement. Your wound cavity may be larger; however, at the end of the day, what is fatal with a 45 is likely to be fatal with a 9mm. Neither one is a "fight stopper". This is of course my uneducated opinion with no desire to ever test the theory.

If I do have to, hopefully its with a rifle.

Fatal is irrelevant. How long does it take to stop? A fatally wounded person with a gun in their hand is still dangerous.

If someone were to be shooting at you, how much would you pay for them to bleed out enough to lose consciousness one second earlier?

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I really dont care, Im so tired of the pistol turning, tactical experts anymore. I dont really care at all what they think. I have a tendency to put more faith in what Ive read from trauma surgeons and ER doctors who say its more the style of ammo, than the diameter. Meaning, injury due to cavitation from higher velocity, and damage from expanding bullets. Most FMJ ammo dont cause much damage if they do not hit arteries or organs. Expanding ammo cause medical staff alot of grief.

I think at this point in firearms evolution, as long as your carrying a pistol that you WILL carry everyday, and CAN hit accurately with, and ARE carrying a good brand of defensive hollow point ammo in, the caliber isnt as big a determining factor as it used to be, when everything was FMJ, it took a bigger bullet to stand out from the crowd. I think this explains the historical worship of the .45acp. It has always been a good round, and it still is, but it is not the same ammo world it used to be.

People, we are human, and we are vulnerable. A bullet of any kind could kill us, if it hits one of the many "right places".

This argument has existed and will continue to do so because of one thing, and one thing only. Mans never ending need to have something to argue about.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I really dont care, Im so tired of the pistol turning, tactical experts anymore. I dont really care at all what they think. I have a tendency to put more faith in what Ive read from trauma surgeons and ER doctors who say its more the style of ammo, than the diameter. Meaning, injury due to cavitation from higher velocity, and damage from expanding bullets. Most FMJ ammo dont cause much damage if they do not hit arteries or organs. Expanding ammo cause medical staff alot of grief.

I think at this point in firearms evolution, as long as your carrying a pistol that you WILL carry everyday, and CAN hit accurately with, and ARE carrying a good brand of defensive hollow point ammo in, the caliber isnt as big a determining factor as it used to be, when everything was FMJ, and it took a bigger bullet to stand out from the crowd when it comes to effectiveness. I think this explains the historical worship of the .45acp. It has always been a good round, and it still is, but it is not the same ammo world it used to be.

People, we are human, and we are vulnerable. A bullet of any kind could kill us, if it hits one of the many "right places".

This argument has existed and will continue to do so because of one thing, and one thing only. Mans never ending need to have something to argue about.

Well what would we do then...........

Last edited:

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    As long as I can get a plate with biscuits on one side, hash browns on the other, and sausage gravy all over it, Im a happy boy.

Top Bottom