• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I hope that someone (Nisely, Lucas, anyone else) introduces a clean bill next year.

Nisly has never submitted a bill for constitutional carry, in the five years he has been in the legislature. (In the same timespan, Lucas has submitted, I believe, four separate constitutional carry bills, plus a host of other pro-gun/pro-self defense bills.)

I believe SB 119 is a "long-game" strategy bill. It replaces the current 4-year LTCH with a 5-year enhanced, no-fee LTCH (and allows both 5-year and lifetime LTCH to be held simultaneously). Once the 5-year LTCH fees are gone in 2020, the biggest argument against constitutional carry will no longer exist.

In short, SB 119 does more to bring about eventual constitutional carry than any other recent legislation.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The "ALL or NOTHING" crowd want everything NOW, and end up with nothing.

There are a couple here with a similar attitude that will call me a Fudd.

The libprogocrats have moving against gun rights incrementally for years. We have to roll back the infringments the same was or we will end up with a hand full if :poop:

My Daddy always said, "Wish in one hand and :poop: in the other and see which one fills up first."
    I have wood furniture on both my shotguns and support moving the ball in the back right direction. I guess I’m one too.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At my Hermitage
    The "ALL or NOTHING" crowd want everything NOW, and end up with nothing.

There are a couple here with a similar attitude that will call me a Fudd.

The libprogocrats have moving against gun rights incrementally for years. We have to roll back the infringments the same was or we will end up with a hand full if :poop:

My Daddy always said, "Wish in one hand and :poop: in the other and see which one fills up first."

I have wood furniture on both my shotguns and support moving the ball in the back right direction. I guess I’m one too.

Still have wood on my Mossy 500 from HS days and Grandpas 1100... One step at a time Gents, one step at a time. The antis have been chipping away for years.

Incremental movement in the right direction is always a good day.

Guess I'm a fudd too... :ingo:

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Still have wood on my Mossy 500 from HS days and Grandpas 1100... One step at a time Gents, one step at a time. The antis have been chipping away for years.

Incremental movement in the right direction is always a good day.

Guess I'm a fudd too... :ingo:

Unless there's substantial agreement, incremental movement is often the way to go.

For example, look at Sunday alcohol sales. Went from none to farm wineries, to craft beer brewers, then craft liquor distillers. Now all alcohol can be purchased on Sunday, but only from noon to 8. For now. Incremental changes and compromises.

Throwing down for all or nothing, in this context, most often leads to nothing. Or, as Blue Falcon notes, you end up with a handful of something you didn't want. :):

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    BTW that Emoticojixyz is spelled : poop : without the spaces I hardly ever use the S or even C word.

Unless the workmanship looks like C!

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    SB 119 passed the house today, and is headed to the Governor's desk!

HB 1284 was amended to be enacted under emergency order (to take effect immediately), and is headed for its third reading.

Excellent day for gun rights at the state house.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If he wants Constitutional Carry, that's great. Make a bill for it then.
    Don't poison pill another bill.

That's all he's doing. Spreading misinformation and poisoning things.
    Probably working for the enemy.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    If he wants Constitutional Carry, that's great. Make a bill for it then.
    Don't poison pill another bill.

That's all he's doing. Spreading misinformation and poisoning things.
    Probably working for the enemy.

He's working for NAGR, so: yes.

SB 119 ending LTCH fees for 5-year license in 2020 will open the door for constitutional carry in 2021.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

HB 1284 was amended to be enacted under emergency order (to take effect immediately), and is headed for its third reading.

:D:cool::ingo:

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker

Not out of the woods yet. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Holcomb veto this.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Good call BF! This is a little rough, but it should work.

Governor Holcomb
    IÂ’m writing to encourage your support of SB 119: Firearms Matters, authored by Senators Sandlin, Tomes, and Doriot.
    SB 119 clarifies Indiana Code by replacing the term “assault weapon” (which has come to mean any weapon anyone wants to ban) with “machine gun”. It also aligns Indiana Code with language in the National Firearms Act of 1934 on this subject.
    This bill has been amended to include the language of HB 1643, Firearms Matters, authored by Representatives Smaltz, Wesco, Speedy.
    By changing the definition of school property, excluding property not in exclusive use and control of a school, head start program, developmental daycare from the definition. Much work went into the billÂ’s language to insure against unintended consequences affecting other laws.
    According to the Indiana Department of Education: there are 362 non-public schools in Indiana. 58 are not obviously religiously affiliated, lacking words such as: Saint, Christian, Catholic, Lutheran, Islam, Providence, Holy and/or Cross. 304 nonpublic schools, 84% do contain those words
    Although not required, SB 119 includes the statement “This subdivision does not affect the right of a property owner to prohibit, in whole or in part, the possession of a firearm on a property where a school or house of worship is located. This bill affirms the rights of all property owners.
    The language from 18 USC, Section 922 (federally prohibited possessors of firearms: felons, adjudicated mentally deficient, illegal aliens, fugitives from justice, etc.) is added under the list of circumstances in which a LTCH shall not be issued.
    Again, your support of SB 119 is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Name
    Address
    Phone

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, it's not State Level, but I spoke at a Portage City council meeting where a priest keeps trying to push anti-gun stuff to the council.
    :)

IndyGunFreak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Can someone explain SB 119. Google suggests it will prohibit the transfer of machine guns to people under 18.

I'm assuming I must be missing something because I've heard a lot gun owners praising this bill

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Can someone explain SB 119. Google suggests it will prohibit the transfer of machine guns to people under 18.

I'm assuming I must be missing something because I've heard a lot gun owners praising this bill

SB 119 gets the language "assault weapon" out of Indiana Code. It aligns with federal law (NFA) and when you see Senator Tomes name on you know it's not anti-2A.

The amendment of the language from what was HB 1643 includes "church carry" (for when a school is on church property), the 5 year NICS-exempt LTCH and on 1 July 2020 5 year LTCH will be free.

Top Bottom