• ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Matt,

I do think some idiots will extend the range of their stupidity.
    My main concern is with deer management.
    Wonder if opening the regs will allow folks to take deer more easily (and increase the hunter numbers).
    Also there is the competition aspect.......if you don't think some folks simply want an edge over the guy hunting next door.....

People argue terrain on the supposed safety aspect, citing other states as having similar.

I don't think that such a simple argument.

I'd like to know hunter density by area, deer numbers by area. And how those areas differ by structure.

A smart hunter could use whatever there is and be safe. But not all who chase Bambi have their heads on straight.
    Ranges, gunshows, worked gun retail, worked major manufacturing with lots of people......been at this a while.

I'll stand by my assessments.

The avg deer hunter isn't on INGO, isn't really a gun person.
    Why I bet a bunch of them even voted for Obama.

They're friggin' morons.

Do you think the DNR Hunting guide saying no FMJ's for rifles, if they open up the regs.............is gonna stop some rube from peeling shots at some yonder brown dot with some POS boresighted milsurp (using FMJ)?

I have hunted in areas of high trespasser/poacher activity. It was pretty scary.

Sure, we will always have the lawless types.
    But I think opening the regs will invite more.
    And then we will also have the just plain stupid.

Not sure what the answer is..........selective breeding, IQ test.....maybe nobody with less than a B avg in highschool should be allowed to have kids, vote or go deer hunting.
    Not perfect, but probably of some help.

Our social progression does not give me the warm fuzzies.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My bud's dad's place. Ground blind and 7 mag would probably be ideal.
    Could get a Booner maybe (big dudes seen way out, yearly).

Extended range means less hunters per that spot. Next door might actually pick up a few.

Not sure how total number and dispersion would be affected.

Pluses and minuses to everything. Win/win is BS.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Jack Corpus - another uneducated fool. AK-47 with 30 round mag?? Come on. You can use it Wisconsin and Kentucky already. I am sure several other states as well. Does he not know you can use autoloaders for every other type of game in Indiana?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    But that guy doesn't realize you can use an AK pistol with 30 round magazines already...

And how accurate are those AK pistols with 30 round mags?

My guess is that even with a trigger swap to good they'd be a 50 yard and in rig.
    Pretty clunky they are.

There's a reason why you don't see a bunch of them in the woods.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany

That's not the point - the point is that the scary AK-47/30 round assault clip boogeyman he used is already 100% legal and he's completely ignorant of that fact.

Having grown up hunting in Kentucky with my last two deer killed there with .224 centerfires...I am kind of stupefied that Indiana does not have a max magazine capacity limit. Kentucky is 10 rounds and that seems completely rational to me.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I don't have a problem in limiting magazine capacity. In fact it removes some of the push back about "spray and pray". Yes, I know some of that goes on today so lets don't go there..

My big problem with this whole thing is that it is going through the legislature instead of the normal Administrative Rules Process. Its a proven track record that Politicians are pretty poor game managers..

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    That's not the point - the point is that the scary AK-47/30 round assault clip boogeyman he used is already 100% legal and he's completely ignorant of that fact.

Having grown up hunting in Kentucky with my last two deer killed there with .224 centerfires...I am kind of stupefied that Indiana does not have a max magazine capacity limit. Kentucky is 10 rounds and that seems completely rational to me.

AKs are legal in Indiana?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Screw PA.
    Tired of how everything is referenced from there, NY or Wis.

Ruger came out with the .44 auto when? In the freakin' 60's..................must have some market for it.
    Sure as heck wasn't Indiana deer huntin'. Or PA with their progressive thinking of no semi autos allowed.

When did Browning do their 92 in .44 mag? Or Winchester 94?

And that .30-06 for squirrel in trees nonsense.................horrible attempt at an argument. Drop it.
    Makes one look like a moron for even mentioning it, as if what is legal always makes up for common sense.

Remember, the majority of deer hunters are probably not gun people.
    And the rules as written now are not hard to understand, nor is the progression of them to this point.

If one doesn't understand them...........well that's just more reason to NOT allow reg HP rifle.
    Not confusing at all.

If one simply doesn't like them, that's a different matter.

Well, I guess we should all thank our lucky stars that we have reasonable people like you fo watch out for our dumbasses!

Last edited:

d80hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Hope
    As far as a minimum magazine capacity law I don't see why anyone would want the extra weight of a 30 round magazine or need that many shots. To each is own but I consider it counter-productive. For my AR in 5.56 I got a 10 round magazine for coyote hunting and some 30 rounders for plinking or SHTF. Not to mention there is always some guy during gun season blasting away 4 or 5 shots and coming home empty handed. I couldn't imagine someone pulling that off with a 30 round magazine but that would definitely make me nervous if I came across something like that.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Willie said:
    But excuse my ignorance on this but what deer legal caliber does the AK pistol come in?

7.62x39.

DNR said:
    Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted. The handgun must not be a rifle that has a barrel less than 18 inches or be designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder.

This is what allows a 300 Blackout AR pistol to be legal, but the same exact upper on a lower with a stock instead of a bare receiver extension is verboten.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

My guess is that even with a trigger swap to good they'd be a 50 yard and in rig.
    Pretty clunky they are.

There's a reason why you don't see a bunch of them in the woods.

Precisely. So the straw man the fear mongers are trotting out is completely unrealistic. If this were an attractive hunting weapon, it would be in use already.

Top Bottom