• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    IF and WHEN this comes up you can bet that the 'Archery Crowd' will be organized in opposing it. As they have in the past for any changes that might benefit the Firearms Hunters. The antis will also be opposing it. The last thing we need to do is to be pizzing in each others teacup cause you don't use what I use. We all need to stand together and support it and not try to throw our own little restrictions in there. That's probably how we got the silly azz restrictions we have now.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    As I have been told it was mostly landowners in the Northern part of the state that were against it. They cited "safety concerns" as the reason they were against. No, it does not matter that these concerns were unfounded. Perception is everything in these cases.

Quite a few hunters that have witnessed a decline in the herd in their areas was against them too as it "would further decimate the herd".

I was surprised that the DNR F and W withdrew the proposal and not even allowed the NRC to vote on it.

It's an uphill battle against ignorance....

Last edited:

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I have it on a good authority that if Indiana expanded the allowable centerfire rifle cartridges for deer, the world would explode. Therefore, I will cite safety reasons as well.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Centerfire rifles with cartridges over 1.8" long are inherently dangerous.

Just like black AR's are inherently dangerous.

I guess if you believe one, it's not too much of a stretch to believe the other one.

Didn't Biden say no one needs a rifle, they need a shotgun? Wonder if he works for IN DNR.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I have it on a good authority that if Indiana expanded the allowable centerfire rifle cartridges for deer, the world would explode. Therefore, I will cite safety reasons as well.
    On the flip side,if they are not allowed,deer populations will explode-they can no longer be killed by bows,shotguns,muzzle loaders,handguns,crossbows or rifles withcartridges shorter than 1.8". Next years kill will be less than 20 deer!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yup, hardly a deer was felled last season.
    Haven't seen a .357 magnum rifle for sale since IMI dropped the Timberwolf.
    My daughter needs a 7mm 08 Tikka with Swaro glass because she might exceed the long shot of 100 yards.

If you want to use different guns, that's fine.
    But do we really need them?

Is every deer slayer hindered by MC Sports having only .243 Ruger Americans on the rack?
    No other manufacturers, platforms, options exist, no other stores. Nobody has ever heard of Buds, Gunbroker, etc.

If one wants to simply run to a store and buy an '06 the night before the opener...........let's accommodate him by changing the regs.

Make it easier, for more people. Might as well zero their guns for them and pay for their entry to a high fence operation too.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IMHO those clinging to shotguns just don't want to spend the money.
    I've seen a bunch of folks driving nice trucks, using beat to hell shotguns.
    However, quite a few folks have dumped the shotgun and gone rifle.
    Used deer shotguns and handguns have taken a beating in resale.
    Probably the hottest selling rig (was a while back) is a .44 mag rifle.
    Many deer hunters are not gun nuts.
    Some want the CVA or H&R with a Bushnell, to keep costs down.
    Many want a pre Remington Marlin.
    Ruger 77's don't last long on the shelf.
    Some folks like the .450 and .458 AR's.
    Others want something different, the gun and or cartridge dictating platform.

There are quite a few options.

Anybody not willing to work within what we have now is probably just lazy.
    The stuff is available.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Hookeye said:
    Anybody not willing to work within what we have now is probably just lazy.
    The stuff is available.

It isn't a matter of being "probably just lazy", it is a matter of hunters arbitrarily dictating what equipment other hunters do and do not "need".

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    BTW I never understood why some people look at hunting arms as basic tools, where cheaper is better.
    You know, the guy with a 40K truck who runs a beat to sheite Mossberg 500 with bead sight.
    Yeah, that guy, who is hunting his personal 200 acre farm, with 300K house.
    The guy that goes on vacation multiple times a yr, blows money on silly entertainment stuff all the time.......

but won't buy a decent deer rig.

Have seen it repeatedly.

Some even of decent secondary education and wealth.
    To them a deer gun HAS TO BE a clunker.

:dunno:

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I am on the other side of that Hookeye. I have some old classic lever guns in the safe I would like to shoot a deer with. My old Marlin 93 in 32 Winchester Special or my old Savage 99 in 30-30 would take deer nicely and wouldn't be those bean field magnums you are so worried about.

I am not lazy, I currently shoot trimmed 45-70, but man, would it be nice to use a 100 year old rifle for its intended purpose.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If we open up hunting to "sniper rifles," our state will no longer be safe!
    Think about the children!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111111111111oneoneone

d80hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Hope
    Safety! As for the children, I thought they needed a .243 because everything else has too much recoil. These kids are caught in between a rock and a hard place on this subject.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I am on the other side of that Hookeye. I have some old classic lever guns in the safe I would like to shoot a deer with. My old Marlin 93 in 32 Winchester Special or my old Savage 99 in 30-30 would take deer nicely and wouldn't be those bean field magnums you are so worried about.

I am not lazy, I currently shoot trimmed 45-70, but man, would it be nice to use a 100 year old rifle for its intended purpose.

Old rifles are cool.

But I'm content to use Goretex, my 4x4, Thinsulate.............am not totally enamored with nostalgia.

Still torn on having a Ruger #1 rebarreled for current regs. Even if regs change, it'd be cool to have a #1 in .44 mag or .35 Rem...........just because :)

Recoil............in .44 mag, can use Specials.
    Teaching kids to use .357 rifles, can run .38 specials in practice.

I'm not getting this .243 win for deer thing I keep seeing/hearing (all around).
    Meh, I was blasting chucks in 8th grade with my #1 B in .243win.
    Hell, wasn't even 5 ft tall.
    Offhand sucked, but I could do it decent enough (if close). Treestand with rail............on something as big as a deer, would have been a piece of cake.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Hell, I'm fighting getting a scope on a .243 win right now.
    Ruger #1........stupid arse quarter rib......holds my 2-7X a little too far fwd.
    Offset rings are Hillary Clinton ugly.
    Scope dims per Redfield site, say same as Leupold 2-7X. Mine measured .20" or so less (from turret to objective flare start).
    Dunno if the Redfield Rev differs from Leupold......can measure a Gold ring from the safe.
    Older VX2 2-7X x28mm has longer fwd tube.
    Can't find a 4X compact.
    Could slap a VX1 3-9X on it, but being an RSI the gun is compact, don't want a scope to look too big on it.

Could be a deer rifle at cuz's cabin out of state. I'm just wanting a diff yote rig......or if I get it rebarreled, could be deer rig.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Recoil recoil recoil.............for the children.

I propose a change to .22 magnum and up.
    And open up a more special youth season, much earlier......so they can shoot fawns when they're still around 50#.

That way low power/recoil rounds can still do the job.

Change the hunter's ed stuff from a suggested 12 yrs old to 5 yrs old too.
    Let them just color pictures to pass the test.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Hookeye, I hate to keep going around and around on this, but I feel I must beat the dead horse. You keep giving alternatives to the high powered rifle being allowed. You also keep telling people they are wrong for wanting it to be allowed.

The thing is, you can't give a real reason why it should be disallowed.

The only reason you can give that you want it disallowed is that you are afraid you will get shot in the woods. You say Indiana hunters are inherently more stupid than all the hunters in the other states that allow high powered rifles (with a straight face...)

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    YES!! Now I have a lot more rifles that I can hunt with. The number will depend on the restrictions that they can still impose on us if this goes all the way and actually gets implemented.

Top Bottom