• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    And the AK pistol............they suck. I've shot 'em. Trigger long of pull, ergonomics..........again, there's a reason pretty much nobody uses them, even if legal.
    You haven't shot mine. I put together an AR15 with custom trigger and have a 7.62 x 39 upper for it. Hole drilling machine, and uses a standard rifle round rather than some cut up custom 35 caliber that is only good in 1 state due to the way our law is written. Granted I would use the old .308 if possible and I was hunting deer.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Ditto here
    I'd love to know where my $45K truck is, too.
    It must be hidden somewhere behind my $3K car.

Even if I did have money to burn, it is ignorant for anyone to believe I would want to burn it on a wildcat firearm that is less capable than a much less expensive one that is very common, and in my case I already own.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Let me ask a question (and I preface this by saying I am mostly neutral on the issue of changing the law for HPR - to me it doesn't matter): How many of you would have taken an extra deer or more during hunting season if you were allowed to use a HPR? Was there a time when you had that perfect shot but did not pull the trigger because you knew the gun you were using was not sufficient for that distance? I understand the argument that it's a stupid law and I understand the other argument that there is a "fear" of safety. I ask the question because where I hunt in SE Indiana everything is thick brush. I can't see more than 65 yards because of the honeysuckle and briars and I hunt from a ground blind and locate it where I will have several shooting lanes and I use .357 rifles and I still kill deer. I adapt to my location and for me a longer range gun would have no benefit to me. I understand other areas in Indiana might provide the possibility of longer shots but then comes the argument of those who say the open spaces allows for more danger for longer bullet travel. So just wondering how many of you would benefit by taking more deer in your hunting location with a HPR?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Let me ask a question (and I preface this by saying I am mostly neutral on the issue of changing the law for HPR - to me it doesn't matter): How many of you would have taken an extra deer or more during hunting season if you were allowed to use a HPR? Was there a time when you had that perfect shot but did not pull the trigger because you knew the gun you were using was not sufficient for that distance? I understand the argument that it's a stupid law and I understand the other argument that there is a "fear" of safety. I ask the question because where I hunt in SE Indiana everything is thick brush. I can't see more than 65 yards because of the honeysuckle and briars and I hunt from a ground blind and locate it where I will have several shooting lanes and I use .357 rifles and I still kill deer. I adapt to my location and for me a longer range gun would have no benefit to me. I understand other areas in Indiana might provide the possibility of longer shots but then comes the argument of those who say the open spaces allows for more danger for longer bullet travel. So just wondering how many of you would benefit by taking more deer in your hunting location with a HPR?

Yes
    Just this past season, I had to pass up a shot on a doe because she was out there at about 300 yards, just too much for my .45 Colt Marlin 1894, even though I roll my own loads for it pushing to the max the 225 grain Hornady FTX (the same spitzer bullet used in their LeveRevolution ammo) bullet, a load that probably stretches the effective range to the practical maximum of about 125 yards.
    If I had been able to use my Ruger M77 .30-06 loaded with 165 Barnes X bullets, I'm confident that I would have made the shot.
    Hearing some folks claim that they never get a shot at deer farther than 70 yards obviously never heard of the term "bean field rifle," which is an apt description for where I ordinarily hunt, on my aunt's land, which consists of a woods of about 20 acres surrounded by fields of about 200 acres.

d80hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Hope
    Much like in personal defense, it's all about shot placement. A rifle with much lighter recoil is much less likely to have the shooter jerk the trigger in anticipation of getting his shoulder mule stomped. Also with a rifle you will likely use good optics. Many people use daddy's old shotgun, some use a smooth bore with a bead on the front. I have heard so many stories from friends and family of "the several that got away but I think I shot him. I tracked him but could not find him."

I have 2 family members who didn't know a shotgun needs a different scope than a rifle, my dad had to try to find his way home with blood leaking into his eyes because the shotgun slammed the scope into his forehead while he was shooting from his deer blind. He was leaning out and not as stable for a shot and the old 12 gauge 3 inch magnum slug slammed that scope right into his forehead. Probably needed stitches, but you know dads.......

The guy using his shotgun after around 8 years of having less recoil options already available is likely going continue to use his shotguns no matter what occurs in the present. Same goes with shooters flinch. If one has developed shooters flinch and has not already made steps to correct it, then it is their problem and I see no reason to make special circumstances for them.

Also most women and youth shooters will be relating with recoil more than ballistics so changing things for them would likely go unappreciated. People want to use high powered rifles because they personally want to use them. It is understandable wanting to use a superior cartridge but I just don't understand people using other people's issues hypothetically to justify what they want for themselves. My stance is I want to use a high powered rifle because I simply want to.

d80hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Hope

It doesn't effect the total number of deer I harvest, usually two or three deer, but sometimes I see deer out of range.

I typically run into shots out of bow range that I pass up but eventually one will come within range. With firearms in this day it is not a problem unless I see one one the other side of a field at 200+ yards. I sum this up no different than to what happens during bow season and eventually a closer shot will present itself.

I remember when smoothbore shotguns were the only thing available and with the current legal guns I can shoot way farther than I could when I first started hunting deer. The average shot for me is 50 yards but I killed deer out to 150 yards several times in the past 6 years.

It all depends on the terrain you hunt and I have access to both large thick woods and small wooded lots surrounded by hundred of acres of fields all around. With a .357 magnum carbine and some reloads hunting in the thick woods is all I need. It can be difficult hunting the smaller woods surrounded by large fields but my method is staying all day in a stand and not getting frustrated if the deer don't come to the wood lot I set up in. Eventually they will show up and I hope I am hunting that day.

d80hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Hope
    And that should be good enough for any rational person, but then, rationality has no place with some folks desperately clutching at their pearls.

I think it will be enough. It still depends on the state government and the people of Indiana but we can get it passed or come to a compromise benefitting to everyone involved.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Let me ask a question (and I preface this by saying I am mostly neutral on the issue of changing the law for HPR - to me it doesn't matter): How many of you would have taken an extra deer or more during hunting season if you were allowed to use a HPR? Was there a time when you had that perfect shot but did not pull the trigger because you knew the gun you were using was not sufficient for that distance?

Those are two different questions.

I have had shots present themselves that were out of the effective range of my current firearm. I would have been able to take a deer at 150yards that I didn't have the confidence with my slug gun.

However, if I had shot that deer, I would not have taken another deer. There would have been no "extra" deer for me.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    How many of you would have taken an extra deer or more during hunting season if you were allowed to use a HPR? Was there a time when you had that perfect shot but did not pull the trigger because you knew the gun you were using was not sufficient for that distance?

What if I just prefer to hunt with a HPR because I feel more comfortable with my ability to make a precise shot at a greater range of distances?

If someone makes the argument against using HPR because they think shotguns are already good enough, they just want to control the tools permitted for hunting. But why?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You haven't shot mine. I put together an AR15 with custom trigger and have a 7.62 x 39 upper for it. Hole drilling machine, and uses a standard rifle round rather than some cut up custom 35 caliber that is only good in 1 state due to the way our law is written. Granted I would use the old .308 if possible and I was hunting deer.

That'd be a 7.62 x39 AR pistol, not an AK pistol.
    I've shot the Draco stuff.
    Tapco or other trigger would help a bunch.
    But they still suck IMHO.

If HP rifle passes and we get more hunters and a higher deer take............I do wonder................

If down the road the DNR moves back, or shortens deer gun season.

We have ours in the rut. Some think that's great, others don't.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    If HP rifle passes and we get more hunters and a higher deer take............I do wonder................

If down the road the DNR moves back, or shortens deer gun season.

We have ours in the rut. Some think that's great, others don't.

Why would they shorten the deer season or move it back? The sensible thing to do would be to simply limit tags.

From what I hear, they are already limiting bonus deer tags in some counties. There are counties with 8 bonus tags allowed per hunter. That is crazy.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Why would they shorten the deer season or move it back? The sensible thing to do would be to simply limit tags.

From what I hear, they are already limiting bonus deer tags in some counties. There are counties with 8 bonus tags allowed per hunter. That is crazy.

My county used to be an "8".
    At it's best I think it might have been a "2".

Even without bonus tags, a person can take does........2 by bow and 1 by muzzleloader.

Dunno what % doe harvest is by bonus tags (broken down per county).

Last edited:

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    PA does theirs the Monday after thanksgiving. I consider that after the rut. They also have a break between bow season and gun season where there is no deer hunting allowed. While that may seem nice to give the deer a little break, it limits the time hunters can get out especially those with limited time off.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    The DNR is quite capable of managing the herd with amount of tags alone. They do not need to manage by limiting what hunting tool we can use.

As far as killing more deer.. Probably ONLY if more hunters are recruited and is that bad thing?

As far as the present deer hunters killing more deer - A full freezer is a full freezer..

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The DNR is quite capable of managing the herd with amount of tags alone. They do not need to manage by limiting what hunting tool we can use.

As far as killing more deer.. Probably ONLY if more hunters are recruited and is that bad thing?

As far as the present deer hunters killing more deer - A full freezer is a full freezer..

Fill your freezer, and then a family members, or donate to H4H.
    I don't have a problem with more hunters, as long as they hunt around Willies neck of the woods LOL
    Enough pressure where we hunt.
    Folks trying to leverage you off and them on, or just buy the place.
    Expected our one spot to be sold, but we got permission to hunt again this yr.
    It's why we are looking at a lease elsewhere.........because somebody with $ is gonna make the owner an offer she can't refuse...........just for a grandkid to have a place to hunt close to home. Pretty rich farmers around.
    Spot across road, with a decent chunk o woods in center..........went for 1.6 million last yr.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    What if I just prefer to hunt with a HPR because I feel more comfortable with my ability to make a precise shot at a greater range of distances?

If someone makes the argument against using HPR because they think shotguns are already good enough, they just want to control the tools permitted for hunting. But why?

I respect that you want to because you feel it's your right. I don't use shotguns as clearly stated in my question (.357 rifle). My question is a neutral one because it will not affect my equipment or the way I hunt due to my terrain regardless of what is decided.

Top Bottom