• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Lol I use 30.06 to hunt coyotes with and I use whatever cheap range ammo I have sitting around. I guess I'm just clueless on gear. I should probably use my .17 HMR which doesn't kill the coyote ethically. You're right, HPRs are bad for deer because of all of the empirical data you have provided. Oh wait...

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I've got 28 wooded acres; due to the lay of the land and its vegetation, I don't exactly have a "bean field" shot. If anything, 150 yards would be absolute MAX, likely less.

As such, a 44 magnum rifle or my CVA Optima in-line muzzleloader would be all that I might "need" for hunting deer.

But why should I be artificially restricted to that equipment? "Oh but you rich landowner can afford a 358 Grant 1.8." Yeah, I can, but WHY should I be restricted to that equipment when I already have a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 308 in the safe? "Well there's always 450 Bushmaster or 458 SOCOM." Yeah but Shannon Watts and Obama and Bloomberg and Biden say nobody hunts with AK15 and they are scary to people, shouldn't I consider their *feelings* and hunt with a more traditional-looking rifle? "There's always slug guns, they've worked great for years." Slug guns have too much recoil, too much issue with ricochets, and don't meet my accuracy requirements as my other equipment does.

Why can I 100% legally use a 10.5" 300 Blackout upper with my suppressor on a pistol lower, but I can't hunt with the same freaking upper on a SBR'd lower with a stock? It doesn't change ballistics, only changes ergonomics and accuracy (for the better), but neinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn das ist verboten.

I'm not and would never advocate for an abdication of all Indiana DNR whitetail firearm equipment regulations...but let's interject a little 2016 reality and reasonableness into them while removing some of the unfounded/unsupported emotion, shall we? That's exactly what this House bill is attempting to do, much to the chagrin of the fudds and pearl clutchers (some of whom don't even hunt) who were able to stop it last year.

A good start would be much as I proposed above:

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    ..but let's interject a little 2016 reality and reasonableness into them while removing some of the unfounded/unsupported emotion, shall we?

But you have a shotgun already, right? See, no problem. Just use that.

[/sarcasm]

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I think we are all arguing with Hookeye, and he isn't listening - just plugging his ears and shouting apocalyptic predictions at the top of his lungs.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Why rifles should be allowed for deer:

1. There is no public or hunter safety issue, as evidenced by years and decades of them being legal in states in this region, states with similar population density, and states with similar topography mix.

2. Concern about magazine capacity or bullet style can be addressed via policy; see #1 and reference Kentucky for a rather topical example.

3. There is no issue with deer population that cannot be addressed with shorter season and/or tag controls; using equipment to control harvest is a very poor, variable substitute for bag limits.

4. It will draw more/newer people into a sport that, let's face it, has a declining participant population dominated largely by aging angry white men.

5. The logical disconnect between allowing certain calibers to be used for deer in a 15" handgun, but not a 16" rifle. Sorry, number of participants using such doesn't cut it, it is either a safe/legal/approved caliber or it isn't.

6. That pesky "freedom of choice" thing.

You forgot the angry.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I had to tell Mr.know it all about bullet differences.
    He NEVER heard of a varmint bullet.

Told him my 70 gr Nosler BT..........would sometimes puff dirt if I shot a chuck in the throat (puff on other side) but a body shot, from 50 to 350 yards would show no exit.

Saw him start to form the word "Bullsh*t".
    But I cut him off.

35 yrs of killing chucks with .243 and this SOB is gonna call me a liar?
    He might still think it, but he sure as frick didn't say it.

Clueless.

I'll give credit where credit is due. I have argued on this board that FMJ bullets are not the best choice for humane varmint hunting, only to be told I didn't know what I was talking about. Those people obviously never read a reloading manual and the bullet recommendations that the manufactures put forth in them.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I called my Senator and asked him to vote to pass the bill. I will also be calling State Rep Lloyd Arnold to thank him for reintroducing the bill.

But if it does not pass, I will continue to use my bow, 44 mag& inline muzzle loader to hunt deer in Indiana again next year and keep using my 308 and 300 win mag for when I hunt in PA.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.3%
    33   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    HB 1231

Not sure if you guys are aware of this but the bill passed in the house. 91 yea 0 nay on Jan 26th.

Quick run down:
    1. The rifle must have a barrel length of at least 16"
    2. The rifle must fire a bullet of diameter 0.243" or larger
    3. The cartridge minimum case length is 1.16"

This is royally going to screw me over. It makes hunting with an SBR illegal in Indiana.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    To the decent sized land hunter, such reg changes may not show influence.
    To the smaller parcel/patchwork hunters it might.

There will be pluses and minuses.

Pass the friggin deal and when your spot goes to sheite, or gets sold, or the lease price gets too expensive..........choke on it.

It seems to me that the lease you hunt on has risen in price or is unavailable to you anymore, and you are blaming high powered rifles for some reason.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Not sure if you guys are aware of this but the bill passed in the house. 91 yea 0 nay on Jan 26th.

Quick run down:
    1. The rifle must have a barrel length of at least 16"
    2. The rifle must fire a bullet of diameter 0.243" or larger
    3. The cartridge minimum case length is 1.16"

This is royally going to screw me over. It makes hunting with an SBR illegal in Indiana.

Well, it isn't legal already, so there is really no change for your SBR. It would be nice to see the barrel length language removed though

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.3%
    33   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    Well, it isn't legal already, so there is really no change for your SBR. It would be nice to see the barrel length language removed though

Currently hunting with an SBR is totally legal as a rifle if it meets the .357 bullet minimum bullet diameter and max case length of 1.8".

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Currently hunting with an SBR is totally legal as a rifle if it meets the .357 bullet minimum bullet diameter and max case length of 1.8".

I guess use what you have now in a SBR and use a 16"+ if you want to use something outside the current parameters. Trying to get the barrel length removed from the bill may be enough to derail it this year. It's best to get it expedited through as soon as possible.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I don't hunt a lease.
    I'm not against them either.
    Just know more land every year goes into leases, and competition drives the prices up.

FWIW I checked the 2014 IN harvest.
    Those super wonderful hand rifles............I dunno.
    Total handgun take was 1% of the deer harvest and dropped 10% from year before.
    What % of those handguns are specialty pistols using bottleneck rifle rounds?

If they were so legal and wonderful I'd reckon more folks would be using them.

Bow dropped 6%, but what number of that went into the crossbow gain of 15%? Who knows.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    BTW, I also thought the DNR made a change, where SBR would be recognized as handgun, in handgun form, and allowed to run according the handgun spec.
    Before SBR meant rifle all the time (according to the state)..........and even in handgun form it had to abide by rifle cartridge spec.

Which killed my idea of a 7600 made into a handgun.

Thought that changed last yr.

Remington Custom Shop was of no help, Tanks can't get 80% lowers........didn't have time either.
    Cheaper route to just tax stamp and build.

Top Bottom